Home Cigar 101
Options

White 'stuff' on humidifier

ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
Because I have a glasstop humidor, my humidifier is placed on the bottom of my 'dor. I've noticed that after about a week, my humidifier gets a white moldlike substance on it. Before I rehydrate my humidifier with humidifying solution, I brush it off with my wife's toothbrush(j/k)...I have an old one I use for that. The substance comes right off.

Is that mold? My temp is 70-71, humidity is 65-67. Nothing is on my cigars.

I should probably get some humicare gel. Does that work for a 25-50 count humidor like mine?

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    is it the foam? foam devices seem to get a lot of mold. 70 is a bit high too.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    70 is a bit high too.
    Well, that's a bit incorrect to be stating as fact. 70% is fine, perfectly within an acceptable RH range, it's just that some people prefer a lower RH. The B&M I go to keep all their humidors at 70%, as does every shop I've been to. I've maintained my cigars at 70% and had no mold problems. The only negative thing I can say about 70% RH is that some cigars don't smoke as well as they do at 65%....by that same reasoning, however, 65% dries some cigars out too much, those ones smoke better at 70%, I've had both experiences.

To address the problem though. If you are using a foam humidifier, I'd suggest using the 50/50 solution, it will help keep your humidity in check and prevent mold. Also, if it is foam, I'd strongly suggest decontaminating it using a mix of white vinegar and water, about a 5:1 ratio of water to vinegar, this will kill the mold, if you don't kill it, it will come back. When you decontaminate, just soak the humidifier in the mix and let it air dry.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    70 is a bit high too.
    Well, that's a bit incorrect to be stating as fact. 70% is fine, perfectly within an acceptable RH range, it's just that some people prefer a lower RH. The B&M I go to keep all their humidors at 70%, as does every shop I've been to. I've maintained my cigars at 70% and had no mold problems. The only negative thing I can say about 70% RH is that some cigars don't smoke as well as they do at 65%....by that same reasoning, however, 65% dries some cigars out too much, those ones smoke better at 70%, I've had both experiences.

To address the problem though. If you are using a foam humidifier, I'd suggest using the 50/50 solution, it will help keep your humidity in check and prevent mold. Also, if it is foam, I'd strongly suggest decontaminating it using a mix of white vinegar and water, about a 5:1 ratio of water to vinegar, this will kill the mold, if you don't kill it, it will come back. When you decontaminate, just soak the humidifier in the mix and let it air dry.
    I was talking about temperature, though I guess one could go about 75 but I'd be a bit timid on that. Especially if the RH gets up there... I had that happen with my glass top a few years ago. After I got the beads, and even when the temp got at 78 or so everything was fine as my rh was about 65ish.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Could the white substance be calcium or some deposit from the water ...tap water may cause that.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    70 is a bit high too.

I was talking about temperature, though I guess one could go about 75 but I'd be a bit timid on that. Especially if the RH gets up there... I had that happen with my glass top a few years ago. After I got the beads, and even when the temp got at 78 or so everything was fine as my rh was about 65ish.
    Ah jeez, I misread the post...sorry about that.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    If you are using a foam humidifier, I'd suggest using the 50/50 solution, it will help keep your humidity in check and prevent mold. Also, if it is foam, I'd strongly suggest decontaminating it using a mix of white vinegar and water, about a 5:1 ratio of water to vinegar, this will kill the mold, if you don't kill it, it will come back. When you decontaminate, just soak the humidifier in the mix and let it air dry.
    Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm using a 50/50 solution already so I'm surprised at the growth. I'll try to decontaminate my humidifier and let it air dry. Is there any chance of residue/vinegar odor staying in the humidifier? Also, can I use the humicare pillows that I get from ccom orders temporarily?
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    70 is a bit high too.

Ah jeez, I misread the post...sorry about that.
    nah, after I read it I could see it either way. Still you gave good info, just had to clear my name.. lol
  • Options
    ScottTDawg:
    j0z3r:
    If you are using a foam humidifier, I'd suggest using the 50/50 solution, it will help keep your humidity in check and prevent mold. Also, if it is foam, I'd strongly suggest decontaminating it using a mix of white vinegar and water, about a 5:1 ratio of water to vinegar, this will kill the mold, if you don't kill it, it will come back. When you decontaminate, just soak the humidifier in the mix and let it air dry.
    Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm using a 50/50 solution already so I'm surprised at the growth. I'll try to decontaminate my humidifier and let it air dry. Is there any chance of residue/vinegar odor staying in the humidifier? Also, can I use the humicare pillows that I get from ccom orders temporarily?
    Now that's odd. From what you've posted, I don't really think it's mold, but then again I'm not really sure what it could be. It might not be a terrible idea to decontaminate anyway for safety sake, the vinegar should dry completely and leave no odor, just make sure you use white vinegar. And yes, you can use the humi pillows, they'll work just fine.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Check all your cigars thoroughly, one might have some mold on it. Spores, though small, are still governed by gravity and will settle to the lowest part of the humidor (where you stated your humidifyer was located)...
  • Options
    cabinetmaker:
    Check all your cigars thoroughly, one might have some mold on it. Spores, though small, are still governed by gravity and will settle to the lowest part of the humidor (where you stated your humidifyer was located)...

Good idea. Thanks!
  • Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    I love to look at my stock too buddy, but my advise it not to spank it while your humi is open.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    smbrink:
    I love to look at my stock too buddy, but my advise it not to spank it while your humi is open.
    This one took a little while, though I knew it was coming... I couldn't be the one to do it, I'm glad someone else finaly came around....
  • Options
    So I guess that means I'm really REALLY excited about cigars!?!?!?!
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    ScottTDawg:
    Because I have a glasstop humidor, my humidifier is placed on the bottom of my 'dor. I've noticed that after about a week, my humidifier gets a white moldlike substance on it. Before I rehydrate my humidifier with humidifying solution, I brush it off with my wife's toothbrush(j/k)...I have an old one I use for that. The substance comes right off.

I should probably get some humicare gel. Does that work for a 25-50 count humidor like mine?

I had the same thing a while back. Not exactly sure if it was mold or not but treated it that way... Fortunately my Humi is from a very reputable manufacturer. Here is what they had me do; First off, they sent me a new Regulator (foam) My rh was at 68% at the time. 1) Removed the regulator. 2) My Regulator is in a Wooden case in the lid of the humi where I saw the white "fuzz". That got wiped w/70% Isopropyl Alcohol. 3) Allow rh to get down to 65% 4) Kept as cool temp wise as poss. 5) After 65%rh was reached ( a few days or so), Re-Charged the NEW regulator w/ their Activation Solution and Distilled Water and re-installed. Been fine ever since but it has had me searching for a better method. Recently I purchased some beads that I am trying out. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    I've had this problem recently and got rid of that plastic humidifier all together. I use a Xikar 100ct Gel Jar and I just ordered a few pounds of beads.

• Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    ScottTDawg:

This happened to me. What I did (according to my Humi's manufacturer) was; 1)Remove the foam Humidifier and threw it out. (There were some white spots on it too.) 2)Clean the white stuff off the Regulator's (foam thingy)cover w/ Isopropyl.(My regulator fits inside a cedar cover in the Humi. It had the white fuzz on it too.) 3)Let my Humi get to 65%rh 4)Use Beads.