Home General Discussion
Options

The hammer fell

jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
Unfortunately I was laid off from my job. Trying to keep my head up. Still looking for work but there is none out there. And before anyone says McDonald's is hiring I can't even get an interview there. IDK what we will do but I hope we will make it. Any good wishes, thoughts, prayers you wanna send me I'll take them. Feeling okay right now and keeping my chin up.

Luckily I have a nice stash of sticks that I hope will last me! Gonna try to stay active here but if it comes down to it internet will be the first thing to go.

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Whoa, Snake, sorry bro... I pray blessings on you and your family.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that snake, best of luck to you.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Sorry to hear you lost your job. I lost my full time job in March, after more than 14 years with the same company. Keep your chin up and NEVER give up. If you had any idea what I've had to go through, you'd count yourself lucky. My job loss was due to an injury. At this point, I fear I may never work productively again in this lifetime.

You have your health, I assume, and that alone gives you a great head start. With a positive attitude, you will succeed.

Best of luck and best wishes to you and yours.

• Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Thoughts and prayers to you and yours. I've been there myself. My wife was out of work for quite some time and it was rough. Stay strong and positive, things will always work out.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    sorry to hear the work finally stopped. it sucks to hear this. i'm praying for a better job for you. i guess it's freed up some time to pursue that cigar rep dream of yours. as long as you have shelter and food for your family, you will be okay.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Sorry to hear man. It is a new year so let's see if what Obama says comes true with the new jobs. I hope it does.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope that things will work out for you.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you were injured. Like you said and many other guys here: I need to concentrate on the good like my family, our health, we have food, we have shelter, and we are still better off then so many other people in the world.

I have been out of my regular position for months and had been picking up leftover work and it really was looking up last month. I was grateful for what I could get and we actually had a good Christmas and pulled through the end of the year.

I appreciate the kind words once again fellas. You have no idea how much it helps. Glad to call you guys friends and hope to get back into the swing of games and trades and maybe some bombing runs when things get better. I was really happy to be able to hits a few guys last month when things were good. Feels nice being able to share with some BOTL. Was nice to be on the receiving end of a few also!

Signed my contract for the independent rep thing with one company. Going to be hitting some B&Ms with sample after this winter storm rolls through here. Not a steady paycheck but hopefully this company takes off and I have my foot in the door. I love cigars so I am going to put my free time and energy into this as an investment into my future.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    good luck snake ... my prayers and best wishes are with ya ! you never know when an opportunity will present itself . After taking a 60-65% pay cut I was lucky and hooked back up with a company I used to work for and things are going good ...keep your head up bro !!!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    Sorry to hear man. It is a new year so let's see if what Obama says comes true with the new jobs. I hope it does.
    Bad news for sure. Hope things rebound for ya. Maybe start your own gig...? I'm hoping the job markets open but the govt can only do so much. Though maybe they should hire directly for jobs.
  • Options
    Havr you tried all your pizza delivery place? A job delivering pizzas could help hold you over,
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    jsnake:
    Sorry to hear you were injured. Like you said and many other guys here: I need to concentrate on the good like my family, our health, we have food, we have shelter, and we are still better off then so many other people in the world.

I have been out of my regular position for months and had been picking up leftover work and it really was looking up last month. I was grateful for what I could get and we actually had a good Christmas and pulled through the end of the year.

I appreciate the kind words once again fellas. You have no idea how much it helps. Glad to call you guys friends and hope to get back into the swing of games and trades and maybe some bombing runs when things get better. I was really happy to be able to hits a few guys last month when things were good. Feels nice being able to share with some BOTL. Was nice to be on the receiving end of a few also!

Signed my contract for the independent rep thing with one company. Going to be hitting some B&Ms with sample after this winter storm rolls through here. Not a steady paycheck but hopefully this company takes off and I have my foot in the door. I love cigars so I am going to put my free time and energy into this as an investment into my future.
    Snake sorry to hear this man. It sounds like you have a plan with the new company. Plans are a good thing. Keep your head up and stay positive. Sending you a PM.
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    Sorry to hear that man. I am still working as a temp so I am grateful every Friday when I'm not told I don't need to come in next week....or ever again.

You have the skills and the knowledge to land another job, but it always takes time. And you are right to be very grateful for what you do have. Family, food, shelter etc. Many people don't have the basics even with a job......so life is still good.

To quote Harvey Dent, "The night is darkest just before the dawn".
  • Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    Maybe you should apply to be a cigar czar for our president...He's got so many czar's he probly wouldn't notice an additional, and if we're gonna have any czars, cigar czar sounds like it would be the most important.
  • Options
    JZJZ Posts: 827
    Have you thought about going back into law enforcement? I know the process takes some time but atleast it has good job security. Also, you may want to look into some loss prevention jobs at different major stores. Target pays decent for Assets Protection jobs.
  • Options
    Czar of Cigar sounds like an awesome job!

Most Law Enforcement here has hiring freezes because the cities have no money. Some have even laid off police officers. As far as loss prevention, pizza delivery, Wal-Mart, McDonald's, etc. I have looked into them all. I live in a major metro so they can hire high school kids and not provide benefits for minimum wage. Also, a guy like me with college and a nice work history/experience - they know I won't stick around so they don't want to bother with it. I appreciate all the suggestions. I just mention this so you guys know I don't feel like I am above doing any job. Right now I will take what I can get! I have a few ideas from a few of you that I am going to look into.

Supposed to get my cigar samples in and going to try to set up an appointment with Outlaw Cigar Co. here in Kansas City. They just opened the world's largest cigar store in Overland Park, Kansas. Place is freaking amazing. If I could land them as a client it would be amazing. I am hopeful because these cigars are great!
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Hope ya land'em Snake ...
  • Options
    ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Sorry to hear about the layoff. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Sounds like you have some ideas for making some cash and doing what you like. Hang in there and keep us informed.
  • Options
    JZJZ Posts: 827
    Not sure what your thoughts are about relocating, but the south is always hiring LEO's, especially in the Atlanta are. Let me know if you want some more info. I know its hard to up and move, that would suck.
  • Options
    SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    Best of luck to you, and like others have said, keep your chin up!
  • Options
    badge54fdbadge54fd Posts: 241
    jsnake. pm sent
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    best of luck, snake...good karma will come back around to you soon.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Jake, I know words are small consolation, but know that we are thinking of you and your family.
  • Options
    Thanks all. Everyone of you is truly a great BOTL. Haven't know you all long but I call you friends and plan on being here a long time. Good times ahead as we all grow in our hobby. This is the best hobby in the world!!

Amazing how simple words make me feel good and encourage me to keep my head up. I plan on smoking those worries away also!
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    jsnake:
    Unfortunately I was laid off from my job. Trying to keep my head up. Still looking for work but there is none out there. And before anyone says McDonald's is hiring I can't even get an interview there. IDK what we will do but I hope we will make it. Any good wishes, thoughts, prayers you wanna send me I'll take them. Feeling okay right now and keeping my chin up.

Luckily I have a nice stash of sticks that I hope will last me! Gonna try to stay active here but if it comes down to it internet will be the first thing to go.
    J if you run out of sticks we will just have to bomb you with some !
  • Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Hey buddy, best of luck to you and yours. Things are only bad when you stop trying.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    J, keep your chin up. You are a great person to know, and I think having a positive attitude and a friendly demeanor such as yours can carry you a great ways in life. Things may get a little lean in the coming month or so, but if anybody can pull themselves up, it's you. Nothing but good thoughts are heading your way from New York, bud.
  • Options
    Kind of late posting this but my lay off was short lived and things are better than they have ever been at work. Back to my original position. Took the house off the market since we aren't scared of losing it anymore. We are doing well. Huge thanks to everyone who gave a encouraging word or kept me in their thoughts and prayers. I was on the receiving end of several wonderful bombings. I hope to PIF and also give a little pay back staring soon. I have already hit a few guys back and helped another BOTL who is struggling with work. More to come.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Just read the whole thread since I wasnt around when you first posted, but ..Thats great to hear bro! Congrats on the job again and hope all is well.
  • Options
    minibeezyminibeezy Posts: 257
    zeebra:
    Just read the whole thread since I wasnt around when you first posted, but ..Thats great to hear bro! Congrats on the job again and hope all is well.

+1

I went through something similar. Glad to hear stuff good on your end.