Home Non Cigar Related

Hawaii help

genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
We are planning a trip there and would love for anyone that has been there to give some suggestions on what we need to see and what we don't. No kids going just adults. Have a race there at the end of June next year and it is in Kona. We are outdoor people not to much interested in history. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We loved Kona but it's been years since we were there. At that time, Kona still had a village atmosphere but there were forests of construction cranes building high-rise buildings everywhere. 

We stayed at the Kona Hilton. At that time the coffee shop walls opened to the ocean and I remember sitting there enjoying a cigar while watching a storm roll in over the surf. Our room had a balcony over the surf but the coffee shop offered more storm protection. 

A short walk to Kona Village. It was lovely. An attraction in the hotel lobby was KoKo, a parrot on a perch with a sign saying "My name's KoKo and I bite"

i booked a boat to try the marlin fishing but only caught dolphin (not the bottlenose kind) which I gave to the skipper. I think it was the wrong time of year for marlin. 

Have a lovely trip. 
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) do you have accommodations picked out yet?

2) do you want to visit the other islands too? if so you can get interisland flights from island air, hawaiian airlines, and mokulele.  book early for better deals.    

3) obviously there's tons of "outdoor attractions" parks, bays, beaches, etc. 
    hiking, snorkeling, dinner cruise, fishing etc. are great outdoor options. 
    i always use tripadvisor as a starting point, but http://www.lonelyplanet.com/search?q=kona has good info too. 

never been to hawaii, but i would love to go sometime. 
    my wife and i have been researching hawaii quite a bit lately, and were considering doing a trip there this upcoming fall.

however, we ultimately decided against hawaii due to the cost & travel time.
    we can get to europe faster & cheaper! 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    We took the family in 2011 and stayed just North of Kona. We rented a condo and everything is so close it was no big deal that we weren't on the beach. I do recommend buying this book:

Hawaii The Big Island Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook

This book has all of the little mom and pop shops you would normally miss and a lot of other things that you will want to see. We actually had people ask us to look at the book to find places to eat! Must have is your going to the Big Island :)

Oh when your there, you have to go to "Killer Tacos" in Kone. We would have never found this place (in an industrial park) but the book said its a must place to eat. Food was good and lots of locals eat at this place. Make sure you get a tee-shirt. Where else you going to get a shirt that says "Let us roll you a fatty" :#

Another place to go is the

Hana Hou Restaurant

SOUTHERNMOST RESTAURANT IN THE U.S.A.

Again found this little place in the book Amazing sandwiches (Mahi Burger is amazing) and home made pies! Another local hang-out :)

Pic of the family at one of the many waterfalls on the big island

Post edited by WaterNerd on
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We went to Kauai and half the family went zip lining and the other half went mountain tubing through tunnels cut through the mountain at the former Lihue Plantation.  Both halves had fun.  We all kayaked and hiked together and there was a lot of skin diving with just mask, snorkel, fins that we could do for days and days and days, and going into Koloa Town for Plate.  Had a great time.  I'm sure that Kona offers similar recreational opportunities, and you could always island hop.  We bought the skin diving gear and brought it with us.

One thing I really recommend is finding out when the farmer's markets are held and going there and buying fresh tropical fruits.  White pineapple doesn't travel well but is so much sweeter and less acidic than the common yellow varieties.  We stayed in a place with a kitchenette and made constant use of the blender.

Enjoy.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    We have a member on the forum from Hawaii. Not sure which island he's on. He and I traded a few bombs a while back. He hasn't posted in a few years though. @TwoThingism  

http://forum.cigar.com/profile/comments/23746/TwoThingism  
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aulani
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No cigars
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aulani
    Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa is a beachside hotel, resort and vacation destination offering complimentary children's activities and programs at the Ko Olina Resort & Marina in Kapolei on the Hawaiian island of Oahu. Part of the Disney Vacation Club, it is the third Disney Vacation Club Resort located outside of a Disney theme park property. The resort opened on August 29, 2011.
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    No cigars
    Not going then.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    Aulani
    Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa is a beachside hotel, resort and vacation destination offering complimentary children's activities and programs at the Ko Olina Resort & Marina in Kapolei on the Hawaiian island of Oahu. Part of the Disney Vacation Club, it is the third Disney Vacation Club Resort located outside of a Disney theme park property. The resort opened on August 29, 2011.

"It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hit me up we have a timeshare on the Big Island in Kingsland Kaileua.