Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

What's wrong with young people today...

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
... is participation trophies. You don't have to win. You get a prize just for sticking your oar in. 

Take, for example @Wylaff was looking for names for his two new black lab dogs. I suggested Pup and Pupper. @Wylaff sends me a note that says "As much as I liked 'Pupper' I got out-voted." So I lost. Open and shut. Well and good. I'm used to losing. Nevertheless, @Wylaff shoots me a five cigar participation trophy. What kind of a lesson does this teach our children. You don't need to accomplish, son, cause you get freebies regardless. I refuse to show you a picture of them, because I don't want to encourage this enervating outlook. I find it so deeply offensive that I am compelled to send these sticks back. I don't want them. Someone has to stand up for what's right.

Well, maybe all except for this Time Flies.

Because, you know, tempest fidgets. But all the others are going back. Cause the whole something for nothing thing is the one thing that's wrong with out thing. That's the thing. They're going back.

Well, maybe all except this Raven:

Because, you know, the Ravens play just down the road in Baltimore. I know a fan or two. Besides, the band appears to be a patch cut out of a dictionary. Me being such a wordsmith, I may need this one patch of dictionary some day. But all the others are going back. Cause the whole something for nothing thing is the one thing that's wrong with out thing. That's the thing. They're going back.

Well, maybe except for this Amazon Basin:

Because, you know, the Amazon Basin is rapidly getting logged off to make way for sugar cane fields for brewing ethanol. It's a tragic fact. Ecological disaster wreaked in the name of saving the planet But all the others are going back. Cause the whole something for nothing thing is the one thing that's wrong with out thing. That's the thing. They're going back.

Well, maybe not this Hemingway:

Because, you know, the the the.... the old man, see. But all the others are going back. Cause the whole something for nothing thing is the one thing that's wrong with out thing. That's the thing. They're going back.

Well, except not this Misterioso:

But I'm not saying why. That's a mystery. But all the others are going back. Cause the whole something for nothing thing is the one thing that's wrong with out thing. That's the thing. They're going back.

And I mean it.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mystery is solved, well said Davis
    A little dirt never hurt
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. This one was from the drawing. I knew about this one. Hmmmm.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh i happen to think, that very young buck did pretty well.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, but I had to.

https://youtu.be/Ubw5N8iVDHI
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love it!
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right on 
    Very nice 
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.