Home Cigar 101

humi-care gel

ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
I just got a small desktop 50ct humidor and am in the process of seasoning it. I only smoke 1-2 cigars a week and plan on keeping my collection small for a while.

I don't want to make my humidor too complicated and I see that the humicare gel states that it will keep the humidor at a perfect 70% and to refill it with distilled once a month.

Do I really need to get a hydrometer if I am going to have only 20 or so cigars in humidor with the gel jar? Can I trust it to function as advertised once the humidor is seasoned?

Comments

• Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    It would work... I did some testing myself and trust this thingies pretty well... However - you can get a very good digital hygro for under $15... I would say - do it! You got nothing to loose and it will make you feel better knowing "for sure" your humidity is well-balanced. I used to wake up late at night worried that my cigars were getting mold or beetles... $15 is the price for a cigar from a B&M shop... Do urself a favor and buy one... Also - look into the DryMistat tubes - AWESOME little things! I swear by them! Very convenient and you can really lay them down right next to your precious cigars! You need 2 of those for ur humi...
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    My 2 cents

Security in knowing that your cigars are kept at the proper humidity and temperature will save you so much in the long run. Not to mention that your cigars will taste and burn so much better when kept at the proper temp and humidity.... Beetles and Mold and Bears, OH MY!! ... Ha ha... Ok no bears, but watch out for the burros, i've read that they l used to lurk around this great forum.

I use Heartfelt Beads, they have plenty of options for all humi's. They never go bad over time and are way easy to tell if they need more water. I bought the 65% beads and they work great.

And definitely get a HyGrometer, not a hyDrometer. A hydrometer measures relative density of liquids, great for brewing. A hyGrometer measures relative humidity RH, great for cigars.

I bought my beads and hygro for less than 20 bones all from Heartfelt Beads.
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    Just to put this out there and I know I saw it in the forums before but I did just pick up a digital hygrometer and it also shows temp and I got it at walmart and it only costs 7 bucks. You can barely get a analog dial hygro for that.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one Dustin is probably talking about is the Wallmart hygrometer. It's under $7 and I bought two. After doing the salt test, one read 75% and the other one read 74%.

I've had them for a few months now and they seem to be working fine. Good Luck!
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    I used the humi-car jar humidifier in a small 35ish humi for awhile and thought it was fine, and it was over the summer, but during the winter I always lose humidity and have to drop some beads in there with it or I end up having to reseason cause it dries out fast. So be careful and overfill the gel during the winter.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    BTW, how have you been storing your cigars? Before the humidor.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the Humi-Care gel and I can say from personal experience DO NOT trust it will maintain 70% RH in your humi. I use 2 digital hygrometers and have verified with both that it does not maintain 70% RH. I will say it works better than a standard humidifier. My gel looks full and expanded yet the RH drops low. What to do because if I add distilled water it will not absorb it.

If you want hassle free get humidity beads. I just got mine and I love them. No matter what you decide a digital hygrometer provides some peace of mind.
  • I'm a newbie and just got Humi-Care Crystal Gel Jar in the mail, my question is this...Do I need to fill it with distlilled water now or later ?
    When you need to add distilled water you can tell because the gel dries out and shrinks. If the gel is expanded you are ready to go.
  • Thanks man. Appreciate the info. Still learning the ins and outs of everything.
  • beardedcanadianbeardedcanadian Posts: 86 ✭✭
    jsnake:
    I have the Humi-Care gel and I can say from personal experience DO NOT trust it will maintain 70% RH in your humi. I use 2 digital hygrometers and have verified with both that it does not maintain 70% RH. I will say it works better than a standard humidifier. My gel looks full and expanded yet the RH drops low. What to do because if I add distilled water it will not absorb it.

If you want hassle free get humidity beads. I just got mine and I love them. No matter what you decide a digital hygrometer provides some peace of mind.

I agree with you jsnake....the gel will not keep the rh level...
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Yo iron ...... if you got a walmart near you they have a nice digital hygrometer for like 7 bucks ...... i have 4 of them and a few others here use them ..... they work great and dont take up too much room ..... but in NY you need to have one in your humi ....... come on help the economy and if you dont think about it this way ...... for 7 dollars its like insurance for your sticks
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    This is an old post that got re-hashed somehow. Since then I not only have 2 humi's, 2 hygrometers, and also switched from gel to beads. So I am past this stage of questioning now. But its a good post for the new people to read I guess.
    ironhorse:
    This is an old post that got re-hashed somehow. Since then I not only have 2 humi's, 2 hygrometers, and also switched from gel to beads. So I am past this stage of questioning now. But its a good post for the new people to read I guess.
    I just now saw the dates.