Home Ratings & Reviews

NUB 460 Maduro

lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
Had high expectaions going into this, and was a little disappointed. Started out bland and almost stale. The flavors didn't kick in until about 3/4 of an inch in. Not very much smoke and had some burn issues. It did last as long as promised, so that was a plus. All in all, a mediocre smoke.

At least I watched a good game while I smoked it. GB v AZ. Very good game.....
Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..

Comments

• JZJZ Posts: 827
    I've got 1 in the humi that I need to smoke. I've had the habano and connie both were good.
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    I am shocked to hear this. The Nub Maduro is one of my favorite smokes. I think you may have just had a dud.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    jpclotfelter:
    I am shocked to hear this. The Nub Maduro is one of my favorite smokes. I think you may have just had a dud.
    That's possible. Although, the B&M I got it from sells them fairly regularly, so he's always got a fresh box in the case. I always give a highly rated cigar a second shot because of this, so I'll re-review if I have a better experience with the second one.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    lilwing88:
    jpclotfelter:
    That's possible. Although, the B&M I got it from sells them fairly regularly, so he's always got a fresh box in the case. I always give a highly rated cigar a second shot because of this, so I'll re-review if I have a better experience with the second one.
    Well it could be either one - everybody's palate is different. I am a fan of the NUB maduro, but I wouldn't call it my #1 stick. I do agree with you though... every stick deserves a second shot at least.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I have had one Nub maduro and enjoyed it. It didn't blow me away and there are quite a few maduros I would choose over it. That being said, I do need to pick up a few and sit on them for a while. The one I smoked was in house so a little bit of a rest might make a difference.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I've had 3 of the maduros and I just wasn't impressed at all. I love the Habano and the Connecticut. I have one of the Cameroons in the humi waiting for my tasting.

Just a little tidbit. If you guys like Nubs, give the Te Amo World Selection Series a try in the Gran Corto size (4x60). So far I've only had the Nicaraguan Blend and it was wonderful. Looking forward to trying the other 3 flavors.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Ive had three and each has been better with age.
  • I almost always smoke torpedos, and the 464T Maduro has always been awesome! Torp's are rolled by the best rollers, so have fewer construction issues.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    jacketsrule:
    I almost always smoke torpedos, and the 464T Maduro has always been awesome! Torp's are rolled by the best rollers, so have fewer construction issues.
    really? never knew that. I have to give the nub maddy another shot, I'm running low on cammie's, and I found a place with a great price on both, so I might just order a box of maduros too. Now I'm wondering if I should go with the torp.... btw I wasn't really disappointed with the maddy, just expected a bit more, though it could have been a few issues at the time.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    jacketsrule:
    Torp's are rolled by the best rollers, so have fewer construction issues.
    I'm not going to say that's not true, but I've had more construction issues with torpedos than with any other vitola. The best and most consistent torpedos I've had are from Padilla, the Signature 1932 torpedo blows the other vitolas out of the water.

I've only had one Nub maduro, I was not terribly impressed, but I was also getting over a cold. I've got two more, so I'll be giving it another try one of these days, maybe tomorrow if I remember.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    The maduro Nubs I've had I've liked with the exception of one. I was just coming down with a cold and thought it was bland. Joe's post reminded me of that, and made me think it was not the cigar as much as it was my condition at the time.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    OK so I had my first NUB troubles today.
    The Maduro I was smoking didn't want to burn straight for more than a minute.
    I've never had burn issues with NUB but I thought it was interesting that it was a maduro....
    What are the chances Oliva pushed these a little sooner than the last batch?
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    lilwing88:
    Had high expectaions going into this, and was a little disappointed. Started out bland and almost stale. The flavors didn't kick in until about 3/4 of an inch in. Not very much smoke and had some burn issues. It did last as long as promised, so that was a plus. All in all, a mediocre smoke.

I know I am a little late on this one... but I just got a box of these bad boys and I'd be happy to trade you a few for those Utopia's you have been talking about, just to give you another one to try. The entire Nub line is great, and these are the best, IMO. Let me know if you want to trade...
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    ejenne87:
    lilwing88:

I know I am a little late on this one... but I just got a box of these bad boys and I'd be happy to trade you a few for those Utopia's you have been talking about, just to give you another one to try. The entire Nub line is great, and these are the best, IMO. Let me know if you want to trade...
    pm sent