Home Non Cigar Related

Garage door bottom seal question.

MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am hoping at least one BOTL can help me out. We bought an older home and the garage door is older. We love it because it is insulated and still works. The problem is that I need new weather stripping/bottom seal for it and don't know what to get. The door is 21' instead of the common 16' and the weather stripping is an odd shape that stuffs into a single channel. I am not sure where to find a replacement. Any thoughts or ideas?

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dare I ask how you know about the big springs, Randy?  :)
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here in our area, I'd just call a local garage door business and have them come and fix it. Do they have any garage door businesses in your area?
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    Here in our area, I'd just call a local garage door business and have them come and fix it. Do they have any garage door businesses in your area?
    I have seen one or two on my drive but I literally live out in nowhere. So no matter who I call, there is always an extra charge to come this far out. I have seen replacement seals, just not the kind I need.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had the same problem with our garage door.....it's an older, odd type of weatherstripping and none of the local hardware stores carried a proper replacement.

i ended up finding the correct replacement piece online, this is where I ordered it from, maybe you'll have luck finding what you need too: http://www.americandoorsupply.com/mobile/Category.aspx?id=1869

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A guy I used to work with was on a ladder monkeying with the spring, guess when it unsprung it knocked him off the ladder, hit his noggin on the floor and killed him
    A little dirt never hurt
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    A guy I used to work with was on a ladder monkeying with the spring, guess when it unsprung it knocked him off the ladder, hit his noggin on the floor and killed him
    Damn.

We were replacing the whole thing when a tornado ate the house. Saved a few bucks.

We have some very handy folks hereabouts that can jerry rig anything, and it looks good. But I think @jgibv and @jlmarta have the right idea.