Home Cigar 101

Pls help seasoning

Edward562Edward562 Posts: 7
Hi i recently bought a whynter 1.8 cigar humidor/cooler  am currently seasoning it am about 1 week in i currently only have 70% beads in there so my question is  this is it normal for it to drop in the evening to 65 then at around midnight it goes to 70 then in the mornings i wake up and its at 75 percent its been doing that for about 3 days already pls help how long do i got to wait 

Comments

• Edward562Edward562 Posts: 7
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All you can do is either wait it out, until it stabilizes or put some 84%? Bovida seasoning beads and see how that does.
    If it were me, I'd give it more time.
    We're talking a substantial sized unit, so while 1 week is barely adequate for a desk top humi, it isn't even close for that thing.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't trust that hygrometer either unless you have calibrated it. I would reccomend gettting a digital one and calibrate it also. 
    Nice looking unit. Good luck! 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    Thanks yeah i was thinking of buying some boveda packs for it   dont know if i should go with 2 packs or 3 of the 320g for it and is 84% for it to season faster or should i just buy the 70%  and wait  i currently have a digital hygro in it its a caliber 4r hygro and for a unit this size whats the adequate time to season it and thank you guys for the fast reply and advice i really appreciate it 
    You may want to wander over to the newbee welcome thread and introduce yourself. There are lots of great people here and loads if info, but I am not one of them and know nothing.  :D
    thanks will do 
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    Do you have a thermometer in the unit? Next I would google Relative Humidity. You will discover that temperature plays a big roll in relative humidity. as the temp. rises and falls the RH changes. 
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Edward562 Welcome to the forum. Great Humidor! Agree with the advice above :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your going off the hygrometer on that drawer dont. Buy a digital one and calibrate it. You should keep that at least 50% full which will stabilize it also
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Image result for salt bae gif
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    If it were me, I'd give it more time.
    ^^^^ Agreed

Guitarded said:
    Don't trust that hygrometer either unless you have calibrated it. I would reccomend gettting a digital one and calibrate it also. 

^^^^^^^
    YES!!!!!!!

Those analog hygometers are notoriously inaccurate. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

Thank you guys for the replys and advice i will give it more time and wait see if theres any changes right now its 8am ang its at temp is at  67/rh 71% will keep you posted  usually these past days around this same time it would be at 75 % hopfully its a good sign i havent opened the humi either 
    Just curious, is it plugged in and a temperature set? 
    Yes i have it plugged in theres a fan running in there and the temp is set to 66 thats most it goes but the temp inside is 71 right now as we speak and 62 rh
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Edward562 said:
    Thanks yeah i was thinking of buying some boveda packs for it   dont know if i should go with 2 packs or 3 of the 320g for it and is 84% for it to season faster or should i just buy the 70%  and wait  i currently have a digital hygro in it its a caliber 4r hygro and for a unit this size whats the adequate time to season it and thank you guys for the fast reply and advice i really appreciate it 
    Usaf06 said:
    If your going off the hygrometer on that drawer dont. Buy a digital one and calibrate it. You should keep that at least 50% full which will stabilize it also

You even read bro?
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Bob_Luken said:
    Edward562 said:
    Usaf06 said:

You even read bro?

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get rid of the analog hydrometer.