Home Cigar 101

How full is too full?

camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
I just received my latest cigar order. Part of that order includes Rocky Patel Limited Edition "A" size cigars. They are WAY BIGGER than the description on the website says they are. After taking them out of the wooden coffins and re-organizing my humidor, I managed to stuff them in, barely.

So, my question is...How full is too full when it comes to your humidor? I know if the humi is too empty, it will be difficult to maintain proper rh, but what if it's filled to the top? Should I take some sticks out to make sure there is air circulation?

That's one big stick!

Comments

• lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I'm having the same problem and wondering the same thing. My solution is going to be just to get a new humi with more room. I have about 100 sticks and a only a 50 capacity humi. So I'm rotating with bags. Just having a hard time finding a humi that I like and can afford.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    A good humi up here (think wayyyyy north) is crazy expensive....and I already have 2 nice size humis and one 20 count, and it's full too!
    I've always managed my humidor space nicely, but some recent deals have filled them to capacity and then some. I want to make sure I don't ruin any of these great sticks by over packing them.

• lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Not to sound like I'm complaining, but the traders on this site are VERY generous and are always sending extra sticks. Trust me, I like it. But after a few trades, I run out of room fast.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Holy Christ that looks like a nightstick. I wish i had the time to smoke something of that size. From the literature I've read, the consensus seems to be about 75% capacity so that air can be circulated.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you have to use any force at all to close the lid... its too full.

the "A" size cigar is very good for understanding the filler of a cigar. the ring is large enough that the wrapper can still be tasted but is a lot more muted than a corona. the filler is also not cut or folded over so you get the complexity over the length of the leaf, not just a mixture and evenness.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I don't know for sure, but I think you can fill it all the way, so long as the lid closes as snugly as it would when empty and so long as the cigars are not pressed in there and the humidifier has room. Especially with the cello on, and the spaces around the shorter cigars, there should be plenty of spaces to fill it up all the way and humidity to be around the cigars.
    Thanks for the info. Seems it's one of those 'mistery' things about cigars. Guess the best thing to do is get to smoking some of these crazy sticks to make some room in the humi! I did smoke one of the "A" size sticks just to make sure I wouldn't have to force the lid shut. I managed to have enough room to put the tray back in, so I guess it's not so bad? lol

Full Humi

Full Humi

• ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I love humi pictures. and there is plenty of room in there. But if you're still anxious, I can PM you my address and you can send me some to "hold" for you.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Good Question? I have a new HUMI and it is rapidly getting filled.... All sizes . I have a couple other questions, store with or without Celli? Should you keep Gaps between them for air circulation? My humi is dead on 72% consistant is that good or Bad? New Humi needs some love!
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Good Question? I have a new HUMI and it is rapidly getting filled.... All sizes . I have a couple other questions, store with or without Celli? Should you keep Gaps between them for air circulation? My humi is dead on 72% consistant is that good or Bad? New Humi needs some love!

Everyone has a different opinion when it comes to humidity level, but IMO, 72% is fine. As long as you don't keep it near 80%, because mould could be a problem. Under 75% is best, but not lower than 65%.

As for the Cello, that is personal choice. the ONLY cigars with Cello on in that humi of mine are the new RP "A" size. I left the cello on because they were in the mail for a full month, and I want them to adjust slowly so they are not shocked from a difference in rh.

This humi leveled off quickly to 69% and usually sits @ 70%.

ironhorse:
    I love humi pictures. and there is plenty of room in there. But if you're still anvxious, I can PM you my address and you can send me some to "hold" for you.

I appreciate the offer, and I will take it as a complment, since I'm SURE you would enjoy "holding" some of those sticks, lol.

• Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    If the humis up where you live are a bit expensive, do you think you would be able to get a cooler to convert into a coolerdor? It'd help with the space issues but would bring up the new issue of having an empty humi that needs filling, oh darn :)
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    You know I've got my humis packed with way more cigars than they're rated for.
    My humidity is stable, the temperature is fine.
    But rather than always worry about numbers I've learned to let the smoking experience be the big test.
    If it's burning fine and tastes good worrying about it won't make it better...

Oh and to solve your storage issue, smoke more... nuff said.
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    yea I had my humi filled up to just under the glass top at one point and I was worried about being too full. I would actually have to say that since it has been fuller my temp and rh% is right on the money.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    if you guys get too full just pick up a small to medium sized cooler at target or wallmart or costco or whatever fine retailer near you ...... for about 30 bucks including humidification beads you are all set and can hold at least 50 - 100 sticks for next to nothing .....
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    kingjk729:
    if you guys get too full just pick up a small to medium sized cooler at target or wallmart or costco or whatever fine retailer near you ...... for about 30 bucks including humidification beads you are all set and can hold at least 50 - 100 sticks for next to nothing .....
    Yea I have been considering doing something like that - I have room in my pantry to keep a coolerador - then just keep my bulk sticks / everyday type sticks in the cooler and use my humi for aging / special sticks - It would be perfect to have a cooler that could hold 100-150.
  • FubarFubar Posts: 33
    camgfs:
    Thanks for the info. Seems it's one of those 'mistery' things about cigars. Guess the best thing to do is get to smoking some of these crazy sticks to make some room in the humi! I did smoke one of the "A" size sticks just to make sure I wouldn't have to force the lid shut. I managed to have enough room to put the tray back in, so I guess it's not so bad? lol

Full Humi

Full Humi

*drools*