Home Non Cigar Related

cable T.V. alternatives

Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
Right now i pay way too much for cable and have been looking around. A buddy recommended Playstation Vue. The top tier is $65 a month. Anyone else using something different or have recommendations.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Comments

• KidTexKidTex Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
    We tried the PlayStation vue option and hated it.  The layout on finding things to watch felt wrong and hard to operate, and on top of that had channels that would randomly not work.  Lasted 2 weeks and ended up dishing out about $150 a month to the local cable provider instead...
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    I have a ROKU box, it works through the internet. I had to upgrade my internet speed to accommodate streaming. Which cost about $100 a month. I have Netflix, Amazon  prime, and HULU. Hulu is about $8.00 a month. ROKU box was about $90.00 one time fee. I buy NCIS by the season, which is about $40.00, my wife's favorite show. I haven't actually searched to see the actual cost per month, but it is cheaper than cable. You do still have some shows overlap, same thing on several channels. The one thing I do like is I chose when I watch a show, I don't have to worry about missing my favorite episode, because it is ready when I want to watch. One downside is network shows, CBS, NBC, are delayed for 24 hours after they air on the network. 

Say a show airs every Monday at 7, you wont have access until Tuesday. 
    I hope this makes sense, if you have any questions, shoot me a message!
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really depends on what shows you wanna watch, Nick.  And how soon you want to watch them after they air.

IF you still want access to cable TV, but are just sick and tired of all of the "equipment fees & upcharges", see if your provider offers cable cards. 
    (Almost all providers have cable cards, except ATT Uverse). 

We cut our bill in nearly half (from $200+ down to $105 for cable & internet), just by getting rid of the cable boxes, and buying our own equipment. (If you want to go this route LMK and we can talk more)  

------------------------------------------------------------------

But assuming you want to cut cable TV all together......
    First and Foremost, go to these sites, look up your favorite shows, and see which streaming services have those shows available.
    • CanIStream.It - Shows you if a particular show/movie is available for streaming, and where.
    • Just Watch Search for TV shows and movies across many streaming services, including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO Now, Showtime, Starz, iTunes, Google Play, etc.
    • Fan TV
    • Yidio - Allows you to search, discover, personalize and watch TV Shows & Movies across Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and others.
    • Reelgood - Search for movies and tv shows across a variety of services including free sites such as broadcaster websites.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as alternatives to cable TV go:

1) Over-the-air content:
    Obviously free but a limited number of channels.  Just hook up an antenna and you're good to go. 
    You can type in your address on this site, http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29,  and it will show you what OTA channels you can pick-up at your house. 

2) Free on-demand streaming services:

3) Paid on-demand streaming services:

4) Live streaming services:

5) Your local library:
    • Most libraries have DVDs and Blu-Rays you can borrow.  There's a free program called "Handbrake" which will allow you to download & convert DVDs so they can be saved, and played back on computers/tablets/etc without the physical disc.

6) Streaming devices (aka cable-box replacements):
    • Roku
    • Google Chromecast
    • Amazon Fire TV
    • Apple TV
    • Android Boxes & Sticks
    • Android TV
    • Game Consoles
    • HTPC (Home Theater Personal Computer)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To use the Playstation vue i would have to buy the roku and use it through that. The problem with the vue is it doesnt have history channel which i watch all the time but has hbo, amc, and fx which also has most of the shows i watch. History ppv is 5 a month so i coukd just do that. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    To use the Playstation vue i would have to buy the roku and use it through that. The problem with the vue is it doesnt have history channel which i watch all the time but has hbo, amc, and fx which also has most of the shows i watch. History ppv is 5 a month so i coukd just do that. 
    Nick, check out the SlingTV or DirectvNOW services in my post above (under #4).
    Both of those services include History Channel. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you looked at the Kodi app?  Most of the series you can get on there for free plus movies.  You can run it on a firestick which costs about $40
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could easily cut my dish and survive by watching tv shows online, getting an antennae for OTA, and Netflix and/or HBO Now.
    But there aren't many options for all the sports I want to watch without having cable. 

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^ main reason I won't let Colleen get rid of our cable.  I won't do at&t either, no NHL network.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried SlingTV but had problems with the streaming quality, the audio and video often didn't sync up which was disturbing.  I tried to try Playstation Vue, but could never get it set up so I quit.  I bought a Roku box and went for Amazon Prime and cut back my cable channels and still came out ahead so now I have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon subscriptions on the Roku box which is much easier than using Chromecast from a phone, so much so that I had to buy another Roku for the bedroom.  There's also a lot of free channels on Roku you can add including music channels and oddball ones like old time radio program channels and silent movie channels for the nostalgic moments.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • KidTexKidTex Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
    I had the same problems with sling tv as yakster