Home Non Cigar Related
Options

indoor gardening with a greenhouse

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
Hey guys. Looking for a bit of advice. Im going to be building a bench near the window in my garage to grow some bonsai and a couple other indoor plants. BUT my biggest undertaking will be using an indoor greenhouse. Im looking into growing my own wasabi and have had no experience with using greenhouses. Suggestions or advice on them? Should I buy one, build one from a kit or do one from online plans? what are some tricks you've learned from using an indoor greenhouse? thanks in advance for your help! I do appreciate it. :)
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    an indoor greenhouse.
    What do you mean when you say "indoor greenhouse"?

Do you mean a standalone greenhouse?  Or do you want a separate "enclosed" space for your plants inside of your current home. 

If you only have a couple plants in mind, instead of dropping big $$$$$ up front (easily $3000+) on a proper year-round setup....
    Make a space in your home to set up a shelf, some grow lights (normal flourescent shop lights work fine), and some heating mats. 
    Run that setup for a couple winters in your home, and if you outgrow the shelf then look at spending a few grand on a proper greenhouse.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibv said:
    an indoor greenhouse.
    What do you mean when you say "indoor greenhouse"?

Do you mean a standalone greenhouse?  Or do you want a separate "enclosed" space for your plants inside of your current home. 

If you only have a couple plants in mind, instead of dropping big $$$$$ up front (easily $3000+) on a proper year-round setup....
    Make a space in your home to set up a shelf, some grow lights (normal flourescent shop lights work fine), and some heating mats. 
    Run that setup for a couple winters in your home, and if you outgrow the shelf then look at spending a few grand on a proper greenhouse.

That is exactly what I mean. A separate enclosed space in the house. In the case that im looking at right now for Wasabi... It would in the corner away from direct sunlight. Im still looking into the wasabi path. I have some lighting setup parts in my garage already (thanks to the previous owner not taking most of the stuff in the garage. lol) but there are going to be some plants that will require humid living situations. Should I build a frame with plastic sheeting to retain the moisture or plexiglass or some other material?
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking you should either build a frame with plastic sheeting to retain the moisture, or plexiglass.  Or maybe some other material. o:) Depending on what conditions wasabi needs.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You going to plant some ginger in there too?
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Yakster said:
    You going to plant some ginger in there too?

I was gonna be planting Ahi Tuna as well... but ive heard that doesn't grow well indoors. ;)

• Options
    peter4jc said:
    I'm thinking you should either build a frame with plastic sheeting to retain the moisture, or plexiglass.  Or maybe some other material. o:) Depending on what conditions wasabi needs.

That's what my plan is for now. I think a simple frame and sheeting will do the job just fine. Im gonna do some research on some simple builds and see what I come up with.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, before you invest a lot of time/energy/$$ into an unnecessary project .....

it'd probably be wise to visit your local garden center/nursery (wherever you're buying the plants from) and ask them for care tips / growing advice. 

you may find out the plants are easy peasy and can simply be placed on a shelf in front of a window with no additional equipment required. 
    or you may find out the plants require unique & expensive growing equipment and it won't be "worth your while." 

not saying the BOTLs here haven't given you a good starting point (they have).....

but you'll probably want to "ask the experts" at your local garden center/specialty plant shop before you get too far into it. 
    just my $0.02

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    from the research that ive done so far, wasabi requires very well draining soil or gravel to grow in. they don't like much sun light so I could always drape a shade sheet over the top to reduce light intake. the plant itself can grow in temps of 45-70 degrees and the corner of my garage is nice and cool year round. I will go to our local nursery and talk with a pro and see what their thoughts are though. :)
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    "The hardest plant to grow commercially"

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29082091

$350 / lb wholesale.  
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Yakster said:
    "The hardest plant to grow commercially"

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29082091

$350 / lb wholesale.  
    Reading the article it looks like they mentioned that growing in smaller batches seems to be fairly successful. once the larger crops get running then disease and issues pop up. Im only looking to grow no more than 5-6 plants. :)