Home Non Cigar Related

Hack attempts?

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone yet experienced any attempts to hack into your computer as was described on tv news a week or so ago?  The one where you receive an email that attempts to get you to click on a link or otherwise open some attachment?

So far, I've had two attempts. I don't think I've missed any because my devices all seem to work normally but I guess that doesn't prove anything. 

The attempts I've had are like this - the first one was a 'tease' saying something about Sara showing up somewhere (a bar?) and 'you'd be shocked to see what she was (or wasn't) wearing'. 'Click here to see what Sara was wearing' implying that maybe she was nude or ??

The second was supposedly from Amazon.com and I was asked to click on one of a few images of decorated Easter eggs to see which prize I had won. 

As the tv warning said, if its unsolicited and asks you to click on something or open some attachment, chances are very good that it's a hack attempt. 

Just thought I'd put this out as a reminder to everyone. Be aware. Be cautious. 

Comments

• Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up good sir. Much appreciated 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to get those all the time, but since switching email over to Gmail, it's very rare.  It seems Gmail does a great job of filtering out spam, viruses, and phishing scams.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like my inbox every morning, I just shitcan that crapola
    A little dirt never hurt
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you get any emails saying "Amazon.com - Your order Cancellation"
    Do not open it. 

If you think that it might be legit, go to your Amazon account and look. It will say in your messages on Amazon.

But the links contained in the emails will download hostageware or other viruses.
    If you have opened the email, it may be that the email itself might not contain the viruses, but the links will. 

Better safe than sorry.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thankya, kind sir. For me, that'll be easy. I don't like Amazon and would only deal with them if all other sources dried up so I won't be expecting any orders from them.  :#
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I barely open any email that isn't from cigar companies.