Home Cigar 101

Water pillows

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
I am wondering how to recharge the water pillows that come in the packaging from Cigar.dot com. My humidor needs a boost and I want to add a couple of those in there. I'm guessing you just open them up and soak the sponge or whatever is inside in distilled water?

Is that the way to do it or should I do something different?

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    ZAP:
    I am wondering how to recharge the water pillows that come in the packaging from Cigar.dot com. My humidor needs a boost and I want to add a couple of those in there. I'm guessing you just open them up and soak the sponge or whatever is inside in distilled water? Is that the way to do it or should I do something different?
    There is a pillow in the pillow case( outer zip lock bag ) take out the pillow, dip it in distilled water, return the pillow to the case. As simple as you thought/.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I use them all the time for boosting RH when needed. Great tool when I go camping too. Dump some sticks in a Ccom ziplock with a couple of Humi pillows and take off.
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    I have some water pillows but a few of them are dry as a bone. Can I just refill them once they have dried out?
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Dustin1981:
    I have some water pillows but a few of them are dry as a bone. Can I just refill them once they have dried out?
    They come right back with a little massage of the gell and some water.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Typically they are reuseable for about 3-5 months ..... when they get dry just dip em in distilled water for about 20 seconds and put them back in the baggie
  • ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
    Thanks for the help...added two of them yesterday, resaturated the humidor piece that came with it and my hdyrometer has not moved much...up from 60 to maybe 62.

How bad is this reading and what else can I do...should I take them out and re-season the inside with distilled water?

I live in northern MN and it is very dry in our house.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    ZAP:
    Thanks for the help...added two of them yesterday, resaturated the humidor piece that came with it and my hdyrometer has not moved much...up from 60 to maybe 62. How bad is this reading and what else can I do...should I take them out and re-season the inside with distilled water? I live in northern MN and it is very dry in our house.

How did you originally season your humidor?
    I took distilled water and wiped it all over the inside and let it saturate in but this was about two years ago...in the summer the humidity level was almost too high at 75-78...now I can't get it up(the humidity level that is).
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Love these things. Great to travel with and take when I'm going to be out all day.
    ZAP:
    I took distilled water and wiped it all over the inside and let it saturate in but this was about two years ago...in the summer the humidity level was almost too high at 75-78...now I can't get it up(the humidity level that is).

Click on THIS, it should give you a good helping hand on re-seasoning. Seasoning properly will reduce if not eliminate most problems that occur with humidity.
    Thanks...I am re-seasoning as we speak...I rewiped the insides and have a bowl of distilled water in there. I did the bottle cap test on my hydrometer and it was about perfect...75.. I also checked humidity of the air in the room I have it....30..ouch!! Maybe 60-65 is all I can get out of it this time of the year...?? I'll be curious to see how much the reseasoning helps
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    ZAP:
    Thanks...I am re-seasoning as we speak...I rewiped the insides and have a bowl of distilled water in there. I did the bottle cap test on my hydrometer and it was about perfect...75.. I also checked humidity of the air in the room I have it....30..ouch!! Maybe 60-65 is all I can get out of it this time of the year...?? I'll be curious to see how much the reseasoning helps
    30% ouch is right. If your RH stays really low, you may find if you can put your humi into a sealed plastic bag that may also help raise and maintain your levels. At 30%RH in the room, those beads are working pretty hard just to get it to and keep your RH at 30%.

You may have to re-season your humi every year if you experience those kinds of humidity levels regularly, wow, that's DRY! I'm on the West Coast so we have the exact opposite problem. Right now it is a nice day, no rain 48 degrees outside and an RH of 81%.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    ZAP:
    Wal-mart or Sam's has a cheap home humidifier around $50. I went from 35% to 60% in the house.....much better.
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I've been having a hard time keeping the humidity level up this winter, I kept adding pillows. In the end what worked for me was a little 2" condiment bowl. I added it to the humidor, poured in a bit of Xikar solution, and added crumpled up piece of paper towel (in the solution). I went from 63 to 73. I actually tried with out the towel first, that didn't seem to do as much as with the towel. I got the idea as I have a system under my piano that uses towels that drape down into water.
  • sweetjdsweetjd Posts: 39
    re-season the humidor? what are these steps on doing this?
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to completely change subjects here but Water-Pillows reminds me of duty, I miss the old guy. I wonder how ol Water-Pillows(his wife) is doing.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Sorry to completely change subjects here but Water-Pillows reminds me of duty, I miss the old guy. I wonder how ol Water-Pillows(his wife) is doing.
    HA !

back on track
    sweetjd:
    if i were to reseason my humidor i would take out all the sticks and put them in a air tight bag or box. (or mail them to me for ....uhh.... safe keeping) then i would season just like you did when you got the box.
    OK..I tested the hydrometer and it was right on... I re-seasoned...put a bowl of distilled water in it for five days and got a humidity level of 77%..

I had the cigars in plastic bags with water pillows during this time and the humidity in there was about 60-65%.

I put the cigars back in, and also put in a shot glass of water. I am now reading about the same as before 63%.

I'm thinking of adding several more shot glasses of water.

Any other suggestions.

How much damage will it cause the cigars to have them in 60-65% until May or so? How much damage have I already done in the past couple of months in this type of humidity?

Thanks for all the help.
    ZAP:
    OK..I tested the hydrometer and it was right on... I re-seasoned...put a bowl of distilled water in it for five days and got a humidity level of 77%..
    Do you have a hyDrometer or a hyGrometer?

ZAP:
    Are you JUST using shot glasses of water for humidification?
    ZAP:
    How much damage will it cause the cigars to have them in 60-65% until May or so? How much damage have I already done in the past couple of months in this type of humidity? Thanks for all the help.
    I don't believe you've done any damage at all to your cigars. Some people prefer their cigars between 60% and 65%.
    sweetjd:
    Seasoning and Re-Season <---Click that. It should give you a great start on Re-Seasoning your humidor.
    nightmaremike31:
    ZAP:
    Do you have a hyDrometer or a hyGrometer?

Not sure...it is circular and attaches to the top inside of the humidor

ZAP:

Are you JUST using shot glasses of water for humidification?

No, I also have the humidifying part that came with it and also attaches to the top of the inside of the humidor..

ZAP:
    How much damage will it cause the cigars to have them in 60-65% until May or so? How much damage have I already done in the past couple of months in this type of humidity?

Thanks for all the help.

I don't believe you've done any damage at all to your cigars. Some people prefer their cigars between 60% and 65%.

Well that's a relief..I got some decent sticks in there and living where it below zero a lot of the winter it is tough to get a smoke in this time of the year...

Thanks for all the help.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    hyGrometer

hyDrometer

unless you think you NEED to know the specific gravity of liquids in your humidor....
  • When I've needed a boost in the past, I would just put into my humidor a shot glass or two filled with water. That's usually done the trick. Although I haven't lived in extremely low humidity cities.
    Unthought_Known:
    When I've needed a boost in the past, I would just put into my humidor a shot glass or two filled with water. That's usually done the trick. Although I haven't lived in extremely low humidity cities.
    I live a stones throw away from a body of water known as "The Great Salt Lake", it's so salty and dry hear that you can taste the salt in the air, and on windy days the sweet aroma of rotting eggs wafts in and makes the air smell AND taste like twice digested breakfast... Awesome, huh?

Low humidity city, yeah I got that but I can't find a cream to fix it.
    nightmaremike31:
    Unthought_Known:
    When I've needed a boost in the past, I would just put into my humidor a shot glass or two filled with water. That's usually done the trick. Although I haven't lived in extremely low humidity cities.
    I live a stones throw away from a body of water known as "The Great Salt Lake", it's so salty and dry hear that you can taste the salt in the air, and on windy days the sweet aroma of rotting eggs wafts in and makes the air smell AND taste like twice digested breakfast... Awesome, huh?

There is a simple solution to that problem...

MOVE!
    madurofan:
    nightmaremike31:
    Unthought_Known:

There is a simple solution to that problem...

MOVE!
    LOL, I dream about the day when I can move out of this "great" state all the time...

CAUTION, DERAILMENT AHEAD!!

Hey Madurofan, how long have you lived in Chesapeake?
    nightmaremike31:
    I'm sure a joke lies ahead but I'll answer anyways ... Aside from the four years I was in college, I've lived in the Virginia Beach area my whole life. HOWEVER, we're trying to sell the house and move to the mountains of Virginia.
    madurofan:
    nightmaremike31:
    I'm sure a joke lies ahead but I'll answer anyways ... Aside from the four years I was in college, I've lived in the Virginia Beach area my whole life. HOWEVER, we're trying to sell the house and move to the mountains of Virginia.
    Well sometimes I have real questions, but not very often.

This is one of those rare ocasioins. I was wondering because I've spent a fair amount of time over in the Va and WV area, I "had" family over there, but then they decided they wanted to move over here... I have no idea why anyone "wants" to move here.

It was quite a few years ago, but the last time I was there, there was a hurricane coming in off the coast, can't remember the name though, but it was exciting!!