Home General Discussion

Searching the Forum

HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
anyone have tips on searching the forum? When I use the search function I usually get a whole bunch of results that have little to do with what  looking for. For example I'm looking for topics on aging. I'm assuming that there are entire discussions on this but all I get is some random posts tha contain the word aging and none of them have to do with actually aging cigars. 

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, time to do an advanced search.  It's not obvious, but after you search on a term, like aging, you'll see a downward facing triangle in the search box that you can click on to reveal the advanced search options.

Click on that and then you can search on threads with aging in the title for a more targeted search.  There's lots more options to search on than shown below.  Searching on an author is also popular and handy.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Another feature of advanced search is auto-complete.  This displays matching threads as you type in your search, but doesn't seem to be working for me today in Chrome, only in IE.  You can click on a matching thread to jump to it.  This can be really handy when you're looking to find a thread that you've read before but can't quite remember the name of the thread.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heard that @Bob_Luken Really my question is just is there a different rh recommendation for aging as opposed to cigars ready to smoke. Also I'm assuming to age cigars it would be better to have a separate container that gets opened less because I'll open my tupperdor at least once daily to grab a cigar to smoke. 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm really not the best guy to ask about aging particulars as I'm not too particular about it. I've heard some guys have humidors that they don't delve into as often and maybe they keep that humidor at a different RH but for me it's only coolers and in no particular plan as to what goes where except I freeze some cigars and not others and try to keep those two separate but otherwise I don't think about it too much anymore. I used to study it and plan it out more, but I'm over it now,.... 'cause I'm lazy I guess.

Although I have noticed lately I'm digging deeper into my coolers and finding some pleasant surprises in some of my cigars from 3-5 years ago,.. and some disappointments too. Not all cigars deserve to grow old. LOL
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    @Bob_Luken
    Is right, you can age an @$$ rocket, but, it will still stink in 5 yrs lol.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha well put @peter4jc. That's just what I am aiming to find out. I would like to take a few of the cigars I brought home with me and set them aside to age for a while to see if there is a difference. In the meantime I've ordered a sampler and a couple of 5-packs. I'd like to put lik 2 or 3 from each of the 5-packs aside also and then I have the sampler to smoke a variety of smokes and see what I like and don't like. I guess maybe I could just get a smaller Tupperware and make a tupperdor just for aging that I can set aside and don't open but like once a month to circulate some air. Of course I'll need to buy another hygrometer ☹️. 

On another note. How long do boveda packs last? 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Heavysetrapier , you've asked a number of questions, good questions, but now I have one for you.  Have you read the "102 things newbs need to know" thread at the top of Cigar 101?  That's a good starting place.

While you're at that, make sure to check out the links that Kuzi set up.  You'll find them at the bottom of his comment box.  Well worth the time for your cigar education.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭

I tend to agree with what the fellows above already said.  I especially like the comment about "buy more cigars than you can smoke and aging will take care of itself!"  Most of the guys here on these forums tend to encounter auto-aging because of C.A.S.

I tend to keep my humidity a bit higher than most, between 72-75, so I don't typically try to elevate my humidity for aging.  I do have a couple little experiments going on with it right now, just for fun and to see what happens.  I've read here on these forums previously that some keep their humidity for separate "aging humidors" as high as 80% and open it once or twice a month to let some fresh air circulate. 

Sounds to me like you're on the right track...if there is a right track.  If nothing else, you're on a well-trodden path. 

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bovedas are right up there with lighters on my list of favorite cigar accessories. How long they last is depends on their environment. They last longer when they don't have to put off too much of their stored moisture. If you put them in a dry un-seasoned desktop humidor I guess they'd dry up pretty quick. The membrane is the cool part. It is making the decision whether to absorb moisture or give off moisture. In a tupperdor they should last a long time. They shouldn't have to work too hard in there unless there is a lot of un-used air space that gets blown into the wind from everyday use. And even if that happens, no big deal.  Ultimately the coolest part is that if they begin to diminish in weight, and fluidity,....you can give them a bath in distilled water for a few days to bring them back up to their original weight. (60 grams)