Home Cigar 101

Glass Top Humidor Seal

07SpartanJK07SpartanJK Posts: 3
Don't give me too much crap but has anyone tried to use hot glue on the outside of the Humidor to help seal the glass top? I couldn't care less what it looks like as long as it gets the job done. I figured I would ask since I have it readily available. 

Comments

• KidTexKidTex Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
    Send pics or it didn't happen lol
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go for it!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • 07SpartanJK07SpartanJK Posts: 3
    KidTex said:
    Send pics or it didn't happen lol
    I have not done it yet, that's why I asked if any has or not. I don't want to go and ruin it especially since i have 30 coming in the mail on Thursday. I don't want to have to micromanage it.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using hot glue is not a terribly great idea.
    The hot glue on the glass, there is a chance that the heat can crack or break the glass.

I suppose if you go slow and are careful, it can be done.
    Aquarium sealer would be a better route.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    In all honesty, if I was going to attempt it, I would try something odorless... just my 2 cents
    I have not done it yet, that's why I asked if any has or not. I don't want to go and ruin it especially since i have 30 coming in the mail on Thursday. I don't want to have to micromanage it.
    30?
    WTF?

You get a scratch and dent deal or something?

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Probably the custom thrifty thirty sampler
    KidTex said:
    Probably the custom thrifty thirty sampler
    Oh!
    30 cigars.
    I misread it. I thought he was getting 30 humidors. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aquarium sealer, it's odorless.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't give me too much crap but has anyone tried to use hot glue on the outside of the Humidor to help seal the glass top? I couldn't care less what it looks like as long as it gets the job done. I figured I would ask since I have it readily available. 
    I am guessing it is not seasoned is why you know the glass needs sealed, or at least think that's  the problem
    A little dirt never hurt
  • 07SpartanJK07SpartanJK Posts: 3
    dirtdude said:
    I am guessing it is not seasoned is why you know the glass needs sealed, or at least think that's  the problem
    I seasoned it like most of the different forums said to do and it just didn't hold. That's why i figured that it needed to be sealed off better. I went ahead and did it with hot glue and it seemed to work. I reseasoned it using a new sponge and distilled water, put the sponge in, let it sit 24 hours and the humidity level did not change what so ever. I took the sponge out and I'm going to check back again in another 24 and double check it. If it drops to a normal level between 68%-75% I'm going to assume that the hot glue worked. And I put it on the outside around the edge of the glass. I didn't put it on the inside where it could ruin the wood or possible the cigars
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you have a plan bro
    A little dirt never hurt
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭

My first humidor was a cheap one I bought on Ebay.  It's a nice box but it didn't hold humidity very well.  So I took some clear RTV to every single corner inside that thing!  It had a little smell to it but I let it air out on the porch for a day and it was perfect.  It's been doing the job ever since. 

Wise choice on your part to spar appearances for quality!

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first humidor was a cheap one I bought on Ebay.  It's a nice box but it didn't hold humidity very well.  So I took some clear RTV to every single corner inside that thing!  It had a little smell to it but I let it air out on the porch for a day and it was perfect.  It's been doing the job ever since. 

Just use the aquarium sealer and avoid the smell.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    deadman said:

Just use the aquarium sealer and avoid the smell.
    You're probably right.  I just went with what I knew and it worked out well. 
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aquarium sealer stinks like vinegar for a few weeks until its cured. Just use soft dental wax like they give your for braces.

That's a good tip. Never thought of that.