Home General Discussion

Illegal to ship cigars?

KidTexKidTex Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
While at the post office trying to ship out the blind pass the lady apparently smells the cigars and informed me that it was illegal to ship tobacco... I had to go to the local postal options to ship it out since I know a girl there.. she also said it was not allowed, but put down that it was souvineers and shipped it anyways lol.... is this a thing?

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it "a thing" that the postal employees don't know all the rules correctly and would rather say NO than say yes. Yes that is "a thing" but, no, it IS NOT ILLEGAL to ship cigars. From now on don't mention cigars. (I've never had them smell the cigars. Are you sure you had them sealed up good? Somebody bump the "How to ship" thread please. 

• KidTexKidTex Posts: 91 ✭✭✭
    She smelled it and ask what it was and I said cigars... i may have smelled like a cigar lol
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's more in-depth discussion on how to relate to postal employees here in this other thread.

http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/743470/how-to-ship-cigars/p1  

• cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was told it is ok to ship, but they needed to know so that someone over the legal age had to sign for them at the receiving end. I use a self serve kiosk, and have never had a problem with that.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Directly from the horse's mouth, https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm

The postal clerk was wrong. 
    Cigarettes are prohibited. 
    Cigars are OK to ship. 

Tobacco Restrictions

Cigars

Cigars may be mailed domestically. They may also be shipped internationally unless the country you are shipping to prohibits it.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Print that out and then confront them. Before you speak of a rule you should know it. 

Got love the postal peeps.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    They are stress reducing collectibles.

If they were illegal to send thru the mail or UPS, then Ccom and all the other online sites would be putting themselves in a legal bind and since they claim all that on their taxes, they wouldn't. 

The post office never asks me what is in the box, just whether it is fragile or perishable.

Alcohol, on the other is another thing, UPS and Fed Ex are able to. USPS is not.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When they ask me what's inside I say a gift, then they usually ask if it perishable and I say no.  It is none of their "Bees Wax" as to what is in my package!
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    P.O. - "Any liquids, batteries, blah, blah, blah, whatever?"

You - "No."

End of discussion.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe she smelled blow, not tobacco 
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My postal agents know exactly what I'm shipping, they always ask me if I'm shipping anything hazardous, and I always have the same response.

ONLY IF YOU SMOKE THEM.

They are only hazardous if you light them up LOL.
     they have never said that it's against the law.
    They have a good laugh take my money and ship the Box.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use to drop off so many bombs at my local PO and they knew it was cigars. It got to be somewhat of a joke and the lady would look at the addys and get a sad look and say nothing for me yet? 
    The last bomb I sent had her addy on it and I made her send it through the mail. I told her her husband could smoke them if she didn't want to. Later I found out they had a cigar night once a week.
    Anyway, it is amazing the difference in what PO employees will tell you from one PO to another. It has gotten to the point that my wife and I do not go anywhere but our local PO.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still stuck on the "she smelled it".

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Oyam123Oyam123 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you smelt it you delt it