Home Non Cigar Related

Fluff post thread

Comments

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    nightmaremike31:
    Fluff ...

So I want to get in to photography. As professional as possible... with an incredibly small budget. I'm looking for information on what is a good camera and or cameras to start with and to have handy. Any advice is good advice.
    I have a Sony A100 10 megapixel SLR.... It does everything but point itsself, so if my aim is on, the pictures are great. They are kinda pricey though...
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    Its snowing in Atlanta. That means the city will shutdown
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    nightmaremike31:
    Fluff ...

So I want to get in to photography. As professional as possible... with an incredibly small budget. I'm looking for information on what is a good camera and or cameras to start with and to have handy. Any advice is good advice.
    I have a Sony A100 10 megapixel SLR.... It does everything but point itsself, so if my aim is on, the pictures are great. They are kinda pricey though...

Oooooo, awwwwww. Sony. Pricey isn't bad. Tax return season is coming and I'm looking to get an idea of what is being used around here, and I don't mind spending more on quality. It's an investment that I plan on pursuing and potentially making some sort of green from it. But the most I want out of it is a feeling of accomplishment. This year is going to be different.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it.
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    Jet Puff Marshmellow Cream is good straight out of the jar!! Not that I'd know or anything...it's, um, it's just something I've heard.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    nightmaremike31:
    Fluff ...

I'd say that most people start with a basic camera, for the speeds and buffers you won't know how to manipulate them all the way...

The MOST important thing though, is the lens... you could get very professional with a 5-600 SLR but with a similarly priced lens... so basically you'd be spending $600 on a lens, but that is what makes it... the speed of the lens is what makes your camera pop...

Then once you decide to pursue this further you can upgrade to bigger and better cameras, and not saying it's right, but most professionals will buy canon or nikon... (or the older Minolta DSLRs)

I'm no expert, so take all this crap with a grain of salt
    Lasabar:
    nightmaremike31:
    Fluff ...

I'd say that most people start with a basic camera, for the speeds and buffers you won't know how to manipulate them all the way...

The MOST important thing though, is the lens... you could get very professional with a 5-600 SLR but with a similarly priced lens... so basically you'd be spending $600 on a lens, but that is what makes it... the speed of the lens is what makes your camera pop...

Then once you decide to pursue this further you can upgrade to bigger and better cameras, and not saying it's right, but most professionals will buy canon or nikon... (or the older Minolta DSLRs)

Lassy, have I told you today how much I love you? This much! ... Well you can see what I'm doing with my hands, but it's good, I promise!

You are uncanny man!! Your ability to be "stop, you're makin miller come out my nose" funny, as well as having insightfull knowledge on hand is amazing! That's why I love you. Thanks man.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Smores cereal ...are you kiddin me ...anyone tried this one yet ?
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    nightmaremike31:
    Lasabar:
    nightmaremike31:
    Fluff ...

Lassy, have I told you today how much I love you? This much! ... Well you can see what I'm doing with my hands, but it's good, I promise!

You are uncanny man!! Your ability to be "stop, you're makin miller come out my nose" funny, as well as having insightfull knowledge on hand is amazing! That's why I love you. Thanks man.
    Will you two get a room...
    Another thing to consider when thinking about speed (for digital SLR's like mine) is the memory card. There's 2 types, normal (read "slow"), and then there's what I have which stores the image rapidly, allowing me to snap 3 pics/second in continuous mode...I'm just saying....
  • smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    I've said it once, and I'll say it again: Medium rare steak and eggs fried over medium is the best!
    cabinetmaker:
    Another thing to consider when thinking about speed (for digital SLR's like mine) is the memory card. There's 2 types, normal (read "slow"), and then there's what I have which stores the image rapidly, allowing me to snap 3 pics/second in continuous mode...I'm just saying....
    Yeah that is a good point...
    The Memory card has no quality effect, but speed is key with a huge difference between cards

Most memory cards (SD) are rated at a class 3 or class 4 meaning they can transfer Data at a 3 or 4Mb/s Rate... Slow considering most SLRs have pics bigger than that. The Sandisk Extreme III memory cards go at 30Mb/s and there are faster ones out there too... Watch they ads, they go on sale up to 70% off some weeks.... and those are built to a higher standard for they have to be faster, they save on battery life for they utilize less time, and they make your camera faster inbetween shots...

I love you too
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    gmill880:
    Smores cereal ...are you kiddin me ...anyone tried this one yet ?

Tastes like chemicals.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    As for the camera discussion:

My fiance is an amateur photographer, currently pursuing professional work, and takes amazing photos. The camera she uses (and I have used extensively myself) is a Canon Rebel XTI I think. I've seen them in bundles from Best Buy or camera shops for between $600-$800, but it's a point-shoot-end-up-with-amazing-photos camera. It is seriously almost that simple, but it also has quite a many features so as to develop along with the photographer as he/she learns.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    Ok, so a good basic camera but more importantly a good lens, a fast memory card -The Sandisk Extreme III - hunting. Awesome!
    Hays:
    Canon Rebel XTI I think.

I've seen that one, from what I've seen it looks to be the (it's hard to say lesser since it comes with so much already) lesser version of the XSi, which seems to be hopped up on the camera-steroids. But the XTi seems to be more than sufficient on the needs versus wants.

And from my searchings, the Sony A100 seems to be (I'm not 100% sure) fairly comparable to the Canon XTi. Right?

Now a good lens... Can any joe shmoe (quality) lens go on any camera? Or do they need to be relatives to make the conection? ... that didn't sound right...
    nightmaremike31:
    ...I've seen that one, from what I've seen it looks to be the (it's hard to say lesser since it comes with so much already) lesser version of the XSi, which seems to be hopped up on the camera-steroids. But the XTi seems to be more than sufficient on the needs versus wants.

And from my searchings, the Sony A100 seems to be (I'm not 100% sure) fairly comparable to the Canon XTi. Right?...
    I'm not really a camera guru and obviously, among all things, opinions can run deep. Having said that, I have heard, and experienced first hand, the quality of a Canon over a Sony. Our first camera was a Canon and we loved it. Our next was a huge upgrade (in terms of options, screen size, etc) to a Sony. Now, my wife can't wait to break the Sony so she can go buy a Canon. Whatever that's worth to ya, just my .02 cents. Happy hunting and enjoy your hobby!!
    nightmaremike31:
    Ok, so a good basic camera but more importantly a good lens, a fast memory card -The Sandisk Extreme III - hunting. Awesome!
    Hays:
    Canon Rebel XTI I think.

I've seen that one, from what I've seen it looks to be the (it's hard to say lesser since it comes with so much already) lesser version of the XSi, which seems to be hopped up on the camera-steroids. But the XTi seems to be more than sufficient on the needs versus wants.

And from my searchings, the Sony A100 seems to be (I'm not 100% sure) fairly comparable to the Canon XTi. Right?

Now a good lens... Can any joe shmoe (quality) lens go on any camera? Or do they need to be relatives to make the conection? ... that didn't sound right...
    The Joe Schmoe Lenses are usually what comes with the camera... The 18-55mm lens that comes with most SLRs are the basics, higher Fstops and no Image Stabilization... The better lenses are always sold separately unless your shopping is starting at the 50d which comes with a GOLD Banded lens which means GOOD.

Yes, though, other manufacturer's make lenses for the SLRs Tamron is a good name to consider and very good lenses to boot... The cool thing about starting a hobby is that all the Canon lenses are compatable to the OLDer Canon lenses... but they don't match up 100% in ZOOM (there's a formula to change Film "mm" to Digital "mm"... but that's a whole other subject, just know you can buy a old garage sale full of canon lenses and they'll work, won't be exactly the same, but will be cool too diddle with it!

Nikon works with Nikon, Canon works with canon and Sony works with the old Minolta lenses... They are all standard Bayonet Mounted lenses, so many lenses will work, but when you're buying a lens, the box will say what camera it works with (if it's not already Branded with Canon,Nikon etc.)

The main difference for amateur photos between the Canons are the speeds, ISOs and whether it does LIVE VIEW (you can use the LCD to see the picture before taking it instead of having to use the Eye hood) and whether or not the Camera does HD-VIDEO as well.... other than that, I'd say get a good CAMERA and a better LENS and *** the video... it's good video, but then your wallet will start to throb after you're done
    Lasabar:
    nightmaremike31:
    Hays:
    Canon Rebel XTI I think.

The Joe Schmoe Lenses are usually what comes with the camera... The 18-55mm lens that comes with most SLRs are the basics, higher Fstops and no Image Stabilization... The better lenses are always sold separately unless your shopping is starting at the 50d which comes with a GOLD Banded lens which means GOOD.

Yes, though, other manufacturer's make lenses for the SLRs Tamron is a good name to consider and very good lenses to boot... The cool thing about starting a hobby is that all the Canon lenses are compatable to the OLDer Canon lenses... but they don't match up 100% in ZOOM (there's a formula to change Film "mm" to Digital "mm"... but that's a whole other subject, just know you can buy a old garage sale full of canon lenses and they'll work, won't be exactly the same, but will be cool too diddle with it!

Nikon works with Nikon, Canon works with canon and Sony works with the old Minolta lenses... They are all standard Bayonet Mounted lenses, so many lenses will work, but when you're buying a lens, the box will say what camera it works with (if it's not already Branded with Canon,Nikon etc.)

The main difference for amateur photos between the Canons are the speeds, ISOs and whether it does LIVE VIEW (you can use the LCD to see the picture before taking it instead of having to use the Eye hood) and whether or not the Camera does HD-VIDEO as well.... other than that, I'd say get a good CAMERA and a better LENS and *** the video... it's good video, but then your wallet will start to throb after you're done

That's my favorite part about a hobby, THE DIDDLIN!!

Lasabar:
    I'd say get a good CAMERA and a better LENS and *** the video

I like that, that's my note #1 on my hunting list.

Ok, so I want a camera that is fast and has a good ISO (if my research is correct) since I will be photo'ing some women's softball, and some much "darker" scenes both figuratively and literally.
    300!!

Going to Costa Rica on my honeymoon, anyone know any good cigar places there? Not really looking for Cubans, had them before, looking more for an actual factory.
    I'm 1 of about 4,000,000 Americans that are named Mike...
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    Going to Costa Rica on my honeymoon, anyone know any good cigar places there? Not really looking for Cubans, had them before, looking more for an actual factory.
    I don't know if they have an actual factory there, but my b&m has a stick that's called "Maduro of Costa Rica by Rocky Patel". Supposed to be only a couple shops that carry it. Phenomenal stick.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Cooper33Cooper33 Posts: 168
    I'm a little uneasy about nightmaremike31. Often in the evenings the reason comes to me, but when I wake up in the morning to post why, it escapes me.
    Cooper33:
    I'm a little uneasy about nightmaremike31. Often in the evenings the reason comes to me, but when I wake up in the morning to post why, it escapes me.

Sanity is very rare: every man almost, and every woman, has a dash of madness. - Ralph Waldo

for some it's more like a side dish...

They say being out at sea for so long in the salty air and water, that a man might start to "see" things that aren't really there...
    There are 18 different animal shapes in the Animal Crackers cookie zoo!

Tablecloths were originally meant to be served as towels with which dinner guests could wipe their hands and faces after eating!?

Most lipstick contains fish scales!

Cat urine glows under a black-light!

Until the nineteenth century, solid blocks of tea were used as money in Siberia!

Not sure how true all that is, but I found it amusing nonetheless.
    BStayer:

Unfortunately... this is very true. About 8 years ago I installed, repaired and cleaned carpet for almost 2 years... I've seen far too many horrible things on my hands and knees in peoples houses, apartments, and condos. I've sucked and tugged on more rugs than I care to think about.
    nightmaremike31:
    BStayer:

Unfortunately... this is very true. About 8 years ago I installed, repaired and cleaned carpet for almost 2 years... I've seen far too many horrible things on my hands and knees in peoples houses, apartments, and condos. I've sucked and tugged on more rugs than I care to think about.
    Funny you mention that, that statement was the one I was wondering about the most.
    BStayer:
    nightmaremike31:
    BStayer:

Funny you mention that, that statement was the one I was wondering about the most.

What's worse is that the cat's urine begins to crystalize beneath the carpet, through the carpet pad, and PERMANENTLY imbeds it's horrid residue in the floor boards. Which then have to be cut out and replaced along with the carpet and pad. It's literally a health hazard. I had to take classes on how to properly handle such hazerdous materials. It was the single most disgusting work I've ever done.

The second most disgusting was being an elementary school janitor when I was 15 and some 3rd grader managed to puke up the walls and ON the ceiling of the sick room. Guess who had to clean it up... memories I can't erase.
    Scorpions glow under blacklight, making them easy to spot in the desert at night (Biology research from college).

Rattlesnakes, however, do not floresce...