Home General Discussion

DuPont ID

ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hello everyone,

I recently bought this lighter and was wondering if anyone could tell me if it was authentic. I was looking a other examples online and found a couple discrepancies, but found an exact model an it looked really similar. I took it to a couple of local spots as well but they said they were not sure either. 

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dupont changed the script in 2003 or 2004.
    So that lighter is pre-2002. 
    It is a 20 micron gold plated lighter (by the 20 micron mark), according to the guy I asked, but he said to contact them at aftersales@lotusmjyx.com or service-client@st-dupont.com and see if they can give you more information.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I can't tell but if the numbers are engraved and not stamped in then that is a sure tell sign it is a fake. 

ST stamps the numbers and they are not in a straight line. Some numbers should look higher or lower as well. 

That is what I have always went by at least.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    aren't you going to IPCPR?  just swing by the ST Dupont booth? 
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weight would be another way to make sure.

Contact ST and ask for the weight of the lighter. Fakes will be heavier.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not making it out to IPCPR this year. It's definetly stamped since the spacing is off and there are varying degrees of impression on the numbers and letters. It is made in the 1960's so I know the script is a bit different. It doesn't have the paint on the inside of the cap and from what I can tell most of lettering is orented differently on other examples I've seen. 
    I wouldn't think it is that old but the flint that I received the lighter with had turned to dust. 
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Email the pics to the company, I'm sure they would know by the pictures
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

I was looking through the internet and found an exact match to this lighter and it had a different serial number. I wouldn't think that a forgery would both changing the serial on them. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck. 
    I don't know enough about them, other than if I want to buy one, I have someone I know check it out first.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Yeah, I was hoping there was a collector on here that could help. I just emailed DuPont, but I may just return it to be safe.