Home Non Cigar Related

WAR

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All you need is this, it is amazing how well it works.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ants? The only thing I've found that works are those green stakes made by Terro. We tried everything else including the Home Defense above and nothing worked. We had ants everywhere. Tried the other baits and traps and none worked. These green stakes by Terro do the job and do it fast and well. I but them every year now in the spring and they last me until winter. Well they may be empty but the ants don't come back. They know they will get jacked in the face. I use the Home Defense stuff still to keep out spiders and other unmentionables. I hate bugs. 
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mix borax with sugar and add some water to make a slurry. I use little tupperware boxes and poke holes in the top or use cotton balls to soak up the borax mixture and just throw them all over the yard or garden. 

Boiling water and cayenne pepper on the nest site.  RIP

Spray entry ways and inside with 50% vinegar and 50% water to get rid of scent trails. 

Bug defense works great on everything but ants it seems. Borax works everytime. 

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you ever lived in Florida and had to deal with fire ants u will try anything once. Those SOB's will bit the living shiit out of you.

The Borax does wonders. Mint is a myth IMO. I have used the Terro's also and they do seem to work but ants still come around. Borax wipes them out quick.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use boric acid, not borax, but if the borax works that's great, cheaper. Also, if you mix it with cat food it will get brought back to the nest and fed to the queen.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should add that boric acid is toxic to plants, so you wouldn't want to dose a nest next to your favorite apple tree or other planting. Don't know if this caution applies to borax.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Borax is used in some weed killers, but is also a component in some fertilizers.
    So I would have to assume that in large doses, it kills.
    I small doses, it probably enhances some fertilizers.

We use Terro Ant killer syrup

https://youtu.be/rEhghNAj1nA

Post edited by 0patience on
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Controlled Solutions Bifen XTS, and Martins Malathion.
    Everything gone! Might want to wear a respirator or you'll be blowing blood out your nose.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    I'm about to mix up a nasty brew and spray whole property, will avoid flowering plants and garden.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reinforcements.

Went outside this morning after spraying 100 gallons of Bifen XTS and 57% Malathion mixture. Mosquitos gone, ants gone, bugs gone, everything gone! :)
    TX98Z28 said:
    Went outside this morning after spraying 100 gallons of Bifen XTS and 57% Malathion mixture. Mosquitos gone, ants gone, bugs gone, everything gone! :)

We have way too many animal rescues to do this.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quiet Spring
    A little dirt never hurt
    jd50ae said:
    TX98Z28 said:

We have way too many animal rescues to do this.
    It would help the animals in the long run with fleas, ticks, mites etc. but the area to be sprayed has to be free of the animals until the spray completely dries, then it's safe for them to return. Now if you have frogs, fish, aquatic life, the stuff I spray is like biological nerve gas to them, unfortunately kills all frogs on the property too and have to be very careful with run off etc. I'm very careful around the flower beds and don't spray the actual buds/blooms on the flower where the bees and butterflies land.

This has eliminated 95% off mosquitoes and the other reason is to prevent fire ants and the yard is infested again with these white/tan moths that eat the grass, I thought the 19*F nights for winter would have killed the larvae but it didn't, need to use an IGR but Nygard is very expensive.
    The ticks are already way down. Ticks are my primary target.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TX98Z28 said:
    hope you went out EARLY in the morning, before the honeybees are active. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

jgibv said:
    TX98Z28 said:
    hope you went out EARLY in the morning, before the honeybees are active. 
    As I've stated before, I do not spray the flowering plants, to help prevent negativity impacting the bee and butterfly population. The main negative impact is to frogs unfortunately. 100 gallons seems like a lot but when spraying half of 1 1/3 acres it goes rather quickly.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boss lady plants flowering plants to attract the honey bees.
    No idea what they are, but they make them go to the citrus, grapes and strawberries. 
    That's all I care about. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TX98Z28 said:

As I've stated before, I do not spray the flowering plants, to help prevent negativity impacting the bee and butterfly population.
    good on you for doing so. 
    and damn. must've missed where you said that, sorry. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

jgibv said:
    TX98Z28 said:

As I've stated before, I do not spray the flowering plants, to help prevent negativity impacting the bee and butterfly population.
    good on you for doing so. 
    and damn. must've missed where you said that, sorry. 

You're forgiven, but I don't think all the insects I wacked will be forgiving me.
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Living in South Florida, bugs are a part of life.  Terro for inside sugar ants.  Put it in corners, widow sills and such, Andro for the fire ants outside and Ortho sprayed a foot up and out the outside walls of the house. works very well for keeping the bug population outside
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Anyone having problems with K9 Advantix II? It seems to have stopped working on our dogs.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Image result for super flea
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    Anyone having problems with K9 Advantix II? It seems to have stopped working on our dogs.

Never got any benefit from it.  Stick with Frontline.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Another vote for Frontline. 
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're fighting ants, the best thing to use is Amdro ant bait.
    Sprinkle it around their nest and in four days they are all dead.
     but it doesn't work on the tiny little ones that we used to refer to as pissants.  Sometimes called sugar ants
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
    edited July 2017
    jd50ae said:

Never got any benefit from it.  Stick with Frontline.
    That is the heli of it. The first couple of years of using it, it worked like a charm. Then overnight nothing.

Did work out a good life hack though. We buy the large packs for large dogs. Empty them into a good small and tight jar. Then use an oral no needle syringe to dose the different size dogs. Weights and dosage info is readily available.
    If you're fighting ants, the best thing to use is Amdro ant bait.
    Sprinkle it around their nest and in four days they are all dead.
     but it doesn't work on the tiny little ones that we used to refer to as pissants.  Sometimes called sugar ants

We found a Toro product we used once and it has kept all ants down for 3 years. We may have to use it again next year.
    It is in a bag 10X10 or so and you just sprinkle it on the ground. Use it sparingly and it covers a good size area. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pissants piss me off
    A little dirt never hurt