Home Ratings & Reviews

Favrite Cigar

Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm  new to the cigar community and I've had several different brands, Nat Sheman, Rocky Patel, etc, but the go to for now is the Hoya De Monterrey Excalibur. This is a mild nice smoking cigar in my opinion. I bought three 5 packs from the expert recommendations and this so far is the best. I've just ordered 3 more blends and I'm hoping they are as close or better then the Hoya's. Looking forward to hear what everyone else likes.
You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smoked the Hoya De Monterrey Excalibur's a few decades ago, then quit smoking for a few decades.  I remember enjoying them, I may have to buy some again to try them again.  I like lots of brands, Espinosa, La Palina, Warped, Viaje, My Father, Crowned Heads to name a few.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a few of of those Hoyos a few years ago, just to have a few cigars to give out and smoke while cooking out and stuff. I enjoyed them a lot.  

Have you tried any AVO or Regius? Both are on the mild side as well. AVO was my go to for a while and I still enjoy them.   Agree on the illusione rothschild too. Great cheaper cigar.

I am never disappointed with Padron maduros. Usually the brown label, but 1964 if I could choose any. 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^Padron's are the $hit! I've never smoked one that wasn't excellent, all turned me green though, nicotines been killing me lately with a medication I take, doesn't help I have a lower tolerance either.

Personal favorite cigar to this day is still a Cuaba Salomone. I still have never smoked a cigar as rich, complex, and flavorful.

@Sleddog46, Buy a blind sampler from Bigshizza on here, best money I ever spent on cigars period! 

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will look into them. Thanks for the suggestion, but I will have to wait awhile as I have 60 cigars arriving in the next day or two.  Gotta watch the dollars.
    Hi Grey4lines, I'm new to the smoke community so I haven't had that much chance to sample the many brands. I'm looking forward to expanding my knowledge of the different types and blends.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're off to a good start
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Second the @Bigshizza sampler when you have room. They'll likely have age on 'em too. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleddog46 said:
    I will look into them. Thanks for the suggestion, but I will have to wait awhile as I have 60 cigars arriving in the next day or two.  Gotta watch the dollars.
     :D wait til the CAS kicks in fully. You'll be eating Romin noodles and while sitting on thousands of dollars in cigars.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    *Favorite
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's easy for me. A.F. Hemingway. 

That's all you need to know.  Start there, any vitola, can't be beat.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • TokinstogieTokinstogie Posts: 46 ✭✭
    Fuente Anejo AND a glass of Belvenie Caribbean Cask scotch. Top that pairing if you can.
    I was going to say, maybe it's time I quit drinking and smoking, tear down all the Vargas girl posters and straighten out my life. But I won't.....
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fuente Anejo AND a glass of Belvenie Caribbean Cask scotch. Top that pairing if you can.
    I can and often do.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    God there’s so many anymore. The world of premium Cigars has just exploded the last few years. People are using rare and hard to get tobacco that 10 years ago they wouldn’t have messed with because there just wasn’t enough of it. But when it comes down to the nitty gritty I’m still a My Father and Padron guy. 
     Matter of fact I’m having a My Father right now and might follow it up with a La Bijou 
    0patience said:
    I can and often do.

So what did you think of the pairing? Have you tried it?
    I was going to say, maybe it's time I quit drinking and smoking, tear down all the Vargas girl posters and straighten out my life. But I won't.....
    It's funny because when I wrote this initial post back in July I thought the Hoya De Monterrey Excalibur's were the best. Now just 5 months later and I've discovered so many fine cigars. This truly is a learning experience.I'm looking forward to what I find next. None of the cigars have been disappointing but just get better. And thanks to The Shizzman for his fine samplers, they can't be beat.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    0patience said:
    I can and often do.

So what did you think of the pairing? Have you tried it?
    The Fuente? Yes. That pairing, no.
    But the comment "top that" was a little arrogant and the fuente can be topped.
    As with anything in cigars, topping that is subject to interpretation.

I've had Macallen 18 year Single malt with a Royal Danish Swarovski cigar and is great and will knock your socks off, but I would never say it can't be topped, cause in some cases Hennesey and a Torano 1916 cigar is heaven.

I'm not an alcohol drinker, so the whiskey. bourbon, scotch I do drink rarely, has to be ones I like. 
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    How about a Gurka Vintage 2001& a Makers Mark Bourbon. Now that's a real mans drink & smoke... LOL
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a Skull and Bones WMD with plank roasted salmon just the other day. Took a bite of salmon, hit the cigar, my mind was set free among the stars.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Wylaff said:
    I had a Skull and Bones WMD with plank roasted salmon just the other day. Took a bite of salmon, hit the cigar, my mind was set free among the stars.
    Oh yeah. I get that same buzz huffing on a Diploma over a plate of fish and chips...