Home Cigar 101

65% Heartfelt beads leaving me at 62%?

I got my first humi as a gift for xmas and immediately ordered the 65% heartfelt beads in the small disc, as well as purchased the Springfield hygro from walmart. After the humi seasoned for a number of days and my beads arrived, I got them about 60% wet and put them in the humi with my salt-tested and calibrated hygro. They stayed right around 67% for a few days, then dropped down to 62% and have stayed there ever since. I tried drying them out and refilling them, that didn't help any. Even if I haven't been in and out of the humi for a number of days, it still sits at 62%. I have tested the hygro a number of times and know its reading to be accurate. Any ideas why they aren't getting up to humidity?

Right now I added a humi-pillow to the humi to help keep the % up. it's stable at 69% right now but I'd like to get it to 65 and the beads dont seem to be cutting it.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I'd wonder a few things, how "CLEAR" are the beads?
    How big is the Humidor?
    How good is the humidor's seal?
    How long have the cigars been in the humidor?
    Has the Humi been seasoned?

I'd say that out of the hundreds of people I've seen buy beads that you are the first to say they are off... So my guess would be it's something other than the beads that is causing this...
  • mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    The beads at this point, after I put the humi-pillow in, are at least 75% clear. The humidor is a 50ct. How would I test the seal? The cigars have been in for about 16 days now. It was season using a glass dish of distilled water that was placed in the humi and refilled as needed. It seasoned for 4 full days before I removed the water. EDIT: Just tested the seal, it seems fine.
  • I am no expert by any means but double check your hygrometer.
    Digital hygro has been salt-checked 3 times already. It is also reading exactly the same as the analog hygro on the front of the humi.
  • The reason i said this is because up here our rh is 30-40& plus we are all on naturel gas for heating.lol dry and drier . lol This time of the year i consider 64% a good reading. your sticks should smoke ok. I don't think this is too low.Help me out here guys.
    Well, I live in a naturally humid area, usually in the 60-80% range near my house. I wouldn't think weather would be affecting it too much. As it has been cold the heater is running on and off, but again not enough that I'd think it'd affect humidity in the humi.
  • Yeah thats the reason I posted that .Your normal everyday rh should be higher than my humi . Smoke and enjoy your sticks. Don't worry about making them aged classics. I do like to give them about 7 to 10 days of rest to stabilise them a little off the truck.
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    It sounds like your beads are running just fine I know they can swing +/- 3 sometimes and with them being at 63 like that they will be perfectly smokable. Nothing wrong unless you are completly **** about it.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, ya know, opinions are like belly buttons - - everybody's got one. IMHO, in a perfect world I'd be able to get my coolidor to STAY at 62%. My sticks seem to smoke better and taste better at 62% than anywhere else. Count your blessings.

Marty

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I've never had it stay at 65 for a long period of time. It drops up and down about 3 or 4.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Mine seems to swing between 62 and 65 these days. I think it's the winter time environment, much much drier air in the winter.
  • The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    Mine is the same it swings between 67 and 65 .. 62 is perfect if ya ask me
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    In the dryer months, I find myself getting the beads 100% clear and that seems to bring the rH up a bit. Mine are never exactly at 65%, sometimes anywhere between 62 and 69.