Home General Discussion

Cigar box furniture

MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was window shopping on Ebay last night...not a good idea. Ended up running across a lot of 12 A.F. Cubanito boxes for $10. Sounded like a steal. Now I'm trying to decide whether to make some sort of wall display out of them or possibly a table. 

Didn't find anything on here related to making furniture out of old boxes, so I thought I'd start a new discussion. Any of you guys have anything like this in your house?

Here's a photo of what I'll be working with. Ideally, I would find a way to make all 12 a single unit which would then attach to the top of a table or desk, rig up some lighting in each box from the rear, and fill it with odds and ends. 

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns

Comments

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool project.

I have seen boxes stuck together as wall art.
  • thehilkthehilk Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    Would be interested in seeing what you come up with
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not gonna be easy. The hardest part will be permanently attaching all of the boxes together. I don't want to hide the sides/tops with a frame, so I'll have to somehow screw them together.

Then I have to find a table.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make a circle table with a glass top to see the logos, face the openings to the outside and have storage compartments all the way around the table under the glass top and put some kind of figure display or something in the center under the glass.

Just an idea.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Need a birdhouse? Just pay shipping and it can be yours....
    Bigshizza said:
    Need a birdhouse? Just pay shipping and it can be yours....
    You do beautiful work my friend. I was hoping you'd post a few of your birdhouses. PM coming your way.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a proud owner of one of these, gifted when I won the ghost story contest.  It is too beautiful to put outside, so it has a proud spot on my desk at home.

I have gotten many compliments on it.
    They are fantastic, that's for sure. I've got mine hanging up in the den. Like you, they're too lovely to expose to the elements just yet. 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Found this page of things made from cigar boxes:  http://cigarhistory.info/Special_Exhibits/Made_from_boxes.html

and this

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    The Victorian dollhouse is incredible!
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigar box amps are pretty nifty.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...