Home Ratings & Reviews

Cuban Shortages may be coming

miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have heard and read many different stories on the recent crops but today was the first day I had a vendor state it in an email. Cohiba I was aware of but not Monte #2's

Statement regarding shortages via email. 

Cuban Cigar Shortages continue...

I know we keep having to use this subject, but since we are all about getting the best Cuban cigars to our clients, it is important to keep you informed.

This season has been an odd one. Shortages are unexpected and often with no notice at all. We just found out Montecristo No 2 supply is gone, though only for a couple of weeks hopefully. Montecristo Edmundo is still in stock.

Cuba is struggling to maintain the supply of some premium cigar brands in the face of poor tobacco harvests and rising demand, industry experts claim.  Excessive rains and unseasonable drought damaged Cuban crops including the delicate tobacco plants needed to produce the country's signature product (Cohiba) which makes up its fourth-biggest goods export.

We expect the shortages in Cohiba and some of the larger cigars in other brands to continue through to the end of the year, possibly longer. There are some small sporadic shipments that have come and continue to trickle in, but it we have no clear ETA as to when Habanos stock will return to normal levels across the brands. 

Unfortunately with agricultural products there are always factors that are out of anyone's control.  Habanos refuses to make and release inferior product due to poor raw material so they can only follow one path, that is wait until new crops are ready for production. 

High demand is compounding the problem, so please bear with us if we suggest alternate cigars.
Free Cuba
"I ain't got no Opus's"
LLA
- Lancero Lovers of America
2016 Gang War (South)
May I assss u a ?

Comments

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good thing you have a small stockpile to get you past this hiccup
    A little dirt never hurt
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    dirtdude said:
    Good thing you have a small stockpile to get you past this hiccup

I am fine for now. All I need is a Behike or 2 but they are way over priced right now since their is very little stock anywhere it seems.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If some people need a reason to jack prices up on the internet selling sites. Rodney you have a pm.
    edited August 2017
    Bigshizza said:
    If some people need a reason to jack prices up on the internet selling sites. Rodney you have a pm.

Got it and replied. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starting to think I should have picked up a couple more boxes. 
    Cohiba may be the only thing to worry about currently. Siglo VI and Behikes seem to be the major ones with stockage issues. Cabs are becoming a problem also. I haven't seen Saint Luis Rey Doble Corona 50 cabs in over a year now. If you ever have a chance to smoke one grab it. Very nice seegar.

Personally I have been looking at Custom Rolls. There are some really good ones out there. Some vendors sell them and they can be had at other sites that deal in flippers if you get my drift.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't smoked a real Cuban since I started smoking cigars. What shortage?