Home General Discussion

Over Humidification Issue

Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
edited August 2017 in General Discussion
Recently I purchased a cigar cooler, this one to be exact.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whynter-Stainless-Steel-2-5-cu-ft-Cigar-Cooler-Humidor-CHC-251S/205392987

I seem to be having an issue as it tends to retain humidity 10% above my optimum of 65%.  I calibrated my hygrometer, so that's not it.  I have a pound of Heartfelt beads in a stoneware dish in the bottom, but they appear completely desiccated, and evidently are not absorbing excess moisture.  Do beads lose effectiveness over time?  They worked fine in all my desktop humi's to this point, so I'm at a loss.

Any thoughts?
Post edited by Smoke=Fire on

Comments

• Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Additional info; I live in western Montana, so a fairly dry environment.
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the purchase @Smoke=Fire

First question: how is the temperature regulated...what type of a motor powers the cooler? It may be that you are getting condensation from the unit as it attempts to regulate the temp.

Second question: if the motor does give off condensation, what type of pan/drain does it utilize to catch the water and where does said water collect? 

Third question: do you have a few Bovedas in there to help better regulate excess moisture? 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Throw boveda in there. Open the door and let it air out for 15 min and should be good to go. I have 3 of those. I don't even use a hygrometer any more. I use 69 boveda and usually stays mid 60's both humidity and temp
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Markwell said:
    Congratulations on the purchase @Smoke=Fire

First question: how is the temperature regulated...what type of a motor powers the cooler? It may be that you are getting condensation from the unit as it attempts to regulate the temp.

Second question: if the motor does give off condensation, what type of pan/drain does it utilize to catch the water and where does said water collect? 

Third question: do you have a few Bovedas in there to help better regulate excess moisture? 
    The cooler is a thermoelectric unit with an air circulation fan in the back.  Not sure on the second, and will look into the third.
    Usaf06 said:
    Throw boveda in there. Open the door and let it air out for 15 min and should be good to go. I have 3 of those. I don't even use a hygrometer any more. I use 69 boveda and usually stays mid 60's both humidity and temp
    Reading the Bovedas description found here at c.com, it seems that the Bovedas are good for about 25 cigars per packet.   Since I have about 300ish, I'm guessing I'll need more than 3 packets?

I've never used Bovedas so have no idea as to their effectiveness. 
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to cigarauctioneer. You can get a bundle for around 30 bucks.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

You can get the bigger ones. They're more expensive, but they'll better suit your needs and you won't need as many. And yeah, general rule is 25 sticks per regular size boveda pack.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
    This may not necessarily apply to you, but it's informative nonetheless. The guy is one of the best on the web. Start at 12:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AgQwSIZ-PM

edited August 2017
    So 25 sticks per 8g pack is the rule?  If so then a 60g pack should do about 180 cigars which would suit my humidor needs with 2 packs.
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Buy the 320 gram ones. 2 or 3 is all you need and you will be fine. If it is over humidifying u will know really quick as they will swell. 

One is good for up to 150 cigars.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So 25 sticks per 8g pack is the rule?  If so then a 60g pack should do about 180 cigars which would suit my humidor needs with 2 packs.
    No 25 sticks for 60 gram packs. I have 5 in my little 100 ct desktop but the humidity is always 68.
    Buy the 320 gram ones. 2 or 3 is all you need and you will be fine. If it is over humidifying u will know really quick as they will swell. 

That looks like a filter for the furnace. 
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deadman said:

That looks like a filter for the furnace. 

They are massive and work great. I got 3 in my cooler and it is rock steady. No issues at all. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

I bet it would work great in the cooler, especially if you could mount it under the lid. Bet it's h3ll to recharge though.
    deadman said:
    I bet it would work great in the cooler, especially if you could mount it under the lid. Bet it's h3ll to recharge though.
    Just dump a gallon of distilled water into a beach towel, wrap it around there, and seal it in a body bag.