Home Cigar 101

Setting Up a Coolidor

MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey gang,

Seeing as how I've already outgrown my desktops and I don't have a lot of extra $$ to throw around right now, I thought I'd set up a coolidor. I've done a forum search, but didn't turn up anything on actually setting one up. 

So what recommendations can you guys give me? I'm planning to run it completely on Bovedas. Guessing I should get some sort of Spanish cedar slats, maybe some shelves as well. 

Thanks in advance,
-Mark
“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try a search on threads with coolidor in the title, like this. http://forum.cigar.com/search?Page=p1&adv=1&search=Coolidor&title=Coolidor&author=&cat=all&tags=&discussion_d=1&discussion_question=1&discussion_poll=1&comment_c=1&comment_answer=1&within=1+day&date=

You can use trays or boxes to hold your cigars and use Boveda packs. I've seen a few people use shelves with the cooler standing on end but most people don't bother. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, didn't know about that search option.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What?
    You've outgrown your desktop humi?
    How could that possibly happen?
     :D 
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    CAS + MOOCHING!!!
  • TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...BrO, I would only keep boXed cigars in dat cool'E... Just the way I would roLL.., don't fret it.   Cigars are like our Old Lady's, ignore them and they start to Shine.
    edited June 2017
    I'm still in the phase of wanting to try everything, so I really haven't bought by the box yet. At the most I'll buy like a 5 or 10er sampler, but most of what I get are singles. 

That being said, I think I'll look into some small cedar shelves and stack the singles in them. I should still have room for a few boxes when I reach that point. The cooler is fairly large (120 qt.?). Picking it up off Craigslist on Tuesday.

Within a year I should have my own apartment. Once that happens I'd really like to invest in a vintage looking tower. Baby steps  ;)
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clean it well.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Wylaff said:
    Clean it well.
    From what I've read, it looks like baking soda and distilled water, followed by a few days of crumpled newspaper is the way to go. Sound like a winner?
  • TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...Okay, I'm just refugee from the other side.  But why ya spending your hard earned money on Hopefully Quality Cigars and sticking them in a beer cooler?   Get yourself a bigger Humi Bro.
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Markwell That cooler is going to work well for you. I added a small RV refrigerator fan in mine to circulate the air around link. Helps with keeping the humidity consistent throughout the cooler

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

edited June 2017
    @TruDog I'm faced with trying to budget right now and this seems to be the best/safest way to go. A lot of our brothers on here have been quite successful keeping their sticks in coolidors for long periods of time. It may not look pretty, but it'll allow me to safely store my cigars until I can invest in something more permanent.

Very cool @WaterNerd. I'm not planning to open it up too often b/c I'd like to start aging instead of just smoking everything I've got. That fan would work well for such a setup. I know it should be opened from time to time to aid in circulation, I just mean I won't be in there daily to pick through for smokes.
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go for it @Markwell, there are members here with multiple coolers.
    The trays look good but could get pricy. If you think that you will go with a tower later, save the money and use old cigar boxes. There's a lot of cheap or free sources. 
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    I have a 50 quart cooler, I have about 2 pounds of kitty litter crystals, for humidity control, I also have an indoor/outdoor temp./and humidity sensor to monitor the temp and RH. My cooler maintains 71 degrees and 67 RH. My AC stays on 71, and heat in the winter 69. 
    If I was going to start over, I would get a 120-150 quart cooler, $79.00 at Academy Sports, last time i went there. Buy 5 pound bag of kitty litter, a pair of knee high stockings. I would then hit the dollar store for plastic trays to corral the cigars.

Use raw cedar boxes for some of the sticks. Also I would keep the cooler in the normal position and not stand on end, because when you open it the air doesn't all flow out and you loose all of the humidity. just my 02. cents. 

This set up should cost about $100 -120. 
    $80 for the cooler, $20. for the weather station, and $15 for the kitty liter for a 5# bag.

If you decide to use cedar trays, it will take longer to get the RH stable in the cooler. When I open the cooler my RH drops for about an hour before returning to 67.

I have wanted to build a humidor, but am too pleased with the performance of the cooler, and the cost of setting a cooler up is incredible. I calculate it would cost about $500.00 to build the cabinet I designed. For that price I could have 4-5 100+ quart coolers. 
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's some tips on searching the forum. 

http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/898404/searching-the-forum
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TruDog said:
    ...Okay, I'm just refugee from the other side.  But why ya spending your hard earned money on Hopefully Quality Cigars and sticking them in a beer cooler?   Get yourself a bigger Humi Bro.
    A lot of storage space for a little money. 
    Also, it's ridiculously dry in the winter here and I don't have to worry about reseasoning every year. Always hold'N steady at 65%.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TruDog said:
    Even though you didn't ask me specifically, I will answer that question with a question.

Why do you ask that question as if it's obvious that quality cigars deserve better storage than a cooler?

Not trying to start an argument and I would respect your desire for better aesthetics than a plastic box, but other that looks, I wonder why you would feel that way about it. Why is wood better? I got plenty of wood in my coolers in the form of spanish cedar cigar boxes. Does a cigar from a wooden spanish cedar humidor smoke better than a cigar from a cooler with plenty of spanish cedar inside?

And I don't take it personal if you think coolers are lesser than wooden humidors. I'm just curious about your opinion. 

:
    Thanks for all the great suggestions fellas. I think I've mastered the master search options now, too, so I won't have to post about topics that are already available. 

Looks like I'm going to go with old cigar boxes as suggested by @NOGILLS2 and @deadman. My local B&M guy is always hooking me up with those, so I can probably snag a few for no cost.

I was wondering the same thing as @Bob_Luken. Also not trying to start a debate, but I was of the impression that coolers can be just as good as a humidor.

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    TruDog said:
    Even though you didn't ask me specifically, I will answer that question with a question.

Why do you ask that question as if it's obvious that quality cigars deserve better storage than a cooler?

Not trying to start an argument and I would respect your desire for better aesthetics than a plastic box, but other that looks, I wonder why you would feel that way about it. Why is wood better? I got plenty of wood in my coolers in the form of spanish cedar cigar boxes. Does a cigar from a wooden spanish cedar humidor smoke better than a cigar from a cooler with plenty of spanish cedar inside?

And I don't take it personal if you think coolers are lesser than wooden humidors. I'm just curious about your opinion. 

:
    Personally, the only reason I do NOT have a coolidor, is because my wife absolutely refused to let me have coolers/ice chests sitting anywhere in the house.
    She said if I wanted them for cigars, then they would go out in the garage.

So I ended up with a tower cabinet humidor.
    I was fortunate, that I ended up with one at a great deal.
    Not everyone is as fortunate, so coolers allow them to have a decent collection.

My tower is around $900-$1,000, smaller cabinet humidors can range from $400-up. Versus the $100 cooler for a set up that will hold a ton of cigars.
    Nothing wrong with that.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just outta curiousity how many boveda packs would one use in a cooler?
    Less than in a humidor  ;) 

I have 5 large ones, and a ass-pocket full of the little ones. I just throw everyone I get in there. However, even for a 120 qt its stable with less.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is a large one a 60 gram? Or bigger?

• TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I haven't made the cooler plunge yet, but have been very happy with my clear hard plastic Zip-Lock boxes with The Boveda packs, I have a little cedar in both boxes.
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I have a few boveda's in my cooler, mostly to store them, BUT Kitty Litter is my main humidity control, It is maintenance free for me, I have not added water since I started my cooler. Now before you get excited outside RH is 71% right now, we breath water here in Louisiana. So I lose 1% RH when I open my cooler and it restores in less than an hour. Most of my boveda's get shipped with bombs and such. My cooler is maintained at 67%. BTW 5 pounds of kitty litter is less than $15.00
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
    Thanks for all the tips guys; I finally had an hour to get things started in the cooler thus afternoon.

I still want to go back on my day off and start an inventory sheet of what all is in there. That way I can keep track of where I got it, what I paid. and how long it's been aging. 

Also decided to keep my Fuente family sticks in the desktop until that collection outgrows itself.

Looking good Mark.
    Thanks Nick!

Give it a year, I'll need another cooler.
    You're probably right. I'm about to take mine out of the boxes to fit more in.
  • TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good looking set up Mark
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!