Home Non Cigar Related

I have been hacked.

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just got a call from the bank and it seems I have charged over $9000 to my card, in 2 days.
Strange.
The card that was hacked is only in my name, is never out of my possession, and I only use it for 2 places. That may help the security people.
$300 bottle of perfume and the rest at an Apple store.

Pulled up my statement and whoever did it put in a change of address, requested a new card and got busy. The address is in Atlanta, Georgia and they even made a $3000 payment on the card by phone, I am sure it did not have time to clear.

Life is great.

The sad thing is I will never know who.

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was sinco vegas trying to make up for lost sales.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This happened to me 2 years ago. 2K in 25 minutes 
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    It was sinco vegas trying to make up for lost sales.

They are running a $2 per Toro and I can't take advantage of it................now I am really mad.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least you'll smell good while you use your new computer, JD.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    At least you'll smell good while you use your new computer, JD.
    Calling anything Apple makes a "Computer" is the equivalent of calling a Swisher Sweet a premium cigar.
    Getting interesting.
    Now I am getting phone calls about denied transactions.
    Robot calls at that. How do you talk to a bobot?
    Credit report has taken a dump.
    For those of you who have been through this, when does it end? Did you ever find out who did it?
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    You never find out.  If you get a call from someone who thinks they know who's behind it, beware, they're probably scamming you, pumping you for info and pretending to be another victim.

This site might prove helpful, it's not sponsored by one of the companies making money off of ID Theft:  http://www.idtheftcenter.org/ and also http://ftc.gov/idtheft
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Mine bought herself travelers insurance that she had to sign and show id for. Combine that with the new wardrobe and studio time I bought her I was able to find a profile on social media. I gave the information to my bank and they told me to "stay out of it, you got your money back." "We'll handle things." 
    I did get my money back 4 weeks later.  

She didn't have my SS #, she was using my deceased fathers and my bank info. 
    edited August 2017
    This is what it looks like. And all from a different address and a changed card.
    Sort by:

BALANCE TRANSFER XXXX XXXX XXXX 3127  8658.74

August 24, 2017 

BANK OF AMERICA MARIETTA GA  503.00

August 24, 2017 

BANK OF AMERICA MARIETTA GA  803.00

August 24, 2017 

BANK OF AMERICA MARIETTA GA  483.00

August 24, 2017 

AKERS MILL FOOD MART ATLANTA GA  12.70

August 24, 2017 

PHONE PAYMENT-THANK YOU ALPHARETTA GA  -8620.00

August 23, 2017 

H&M0310 ATLANTA GA  123.01

August 22, 2017 

DOC'S FOOD & SPIRITS SMYRNA GA  25.13

August 22, 2017 

ADJUSTMENT-PAYMENTS  3350.57

August 22, 2017 

*INTEREST CHARGE* PREV CYCLE PURCHASES  4.39

Well, at least they went to the liquor and celebrated. This does not even include the $300 bottle of perfume or the Apple store charges.

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    When this happened to us, there was one charge at first.  It was online, but we thought it was a gift shop on vacation where we'd bought a bottle of water.  Couldn't find the receipt and didn't remember paying cash.  Then a month or two later, there was a series of charges at gas stations for the max fuel purchase.

The bank said this was common.  Burning a card and then using it at a gas station pump where there's often little in the way of cameras or card protection (some do require Zip codes, but not enough) is a good way to make money.  They fill up cans and then sell it to various folks like lawn crews or just use it themselves to save for other schemes.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Had this happen a few years back on my debit card...lost 3+ grand in a few days...luckily the bank investigated and gave me my money back....still sucks with the worry and all
    I tell ya, that Synchrony Bank is really on top of things.
    They issue me a new card and it is the same number as the thief was issued.
    They tell me I can use my original card and it gets denied.
    But I can charge to the bogus card.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had it happen to me once but luckily the bank noticed it and shut the card down before it got out of hand.