Home Ratings & Reviews

Gurkha Black Dragon

fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
Does anyone have an opinion or first hand knowledge on these? I found a tin of 5 for 34.95 on the net and I had heard good things about them. I was considering these for some special occassion smokes.

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    fla-gypsy:
    Does anyone have an opinion or first hand knowledge on these? I found a tin of 5 for 34.95 on the net and I had heard good things about them. I was considering these for some special occassion smokes.
    Pheebs and I did a split on a box of the Black Dragon - Dragon Fires.

They are a well made pretty decent stick.That said, it is still a very subjective thing... tastes.

Just for comparrison, I also really like Man O War's, Ruinations. deisel, Cain, Oliva's, etc. Sticks with full flavor are a favorite. The Dragon Fires are not the fullest flavor I have come across but it is flavorful, well made, has good taste and comes in at Medium Body. A good stick and around the same prices we paid for a whole box so good deal too.
    laker1963:
    fla-gypsy:
    Pheebs and I did a split on a box of the Black Dragon - Dragon Fires.

They are a well made pretty decent stick.That said, it is still a very subjective thing... tastes.

Just for comparrison, I also really like Man O War's, Ruinations. deisel, Cain, Oliva's, etc. Sticks with full flavor are a favorite. The Dragon Fires are not the fullest flavor I have come across but it is flavorful, well made, has good taste and comes in at Medium Body. A good stick and around the same prices we paid for a whole box so good deal too.
    I never realized the Dragon Line was so extensive. I wouldn't rely on that recommendation for the Dragon Fires as they are totally different from the sticks you were mentioning. Sorry.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I liked them. I just had the robusto which was pretty good. The other size I have had is the big Gran Especial 8.5 x 52. It was freakin big but a good smoke. I have one or two of the Imperial Presidente 7 x 56 but I don't think I have had that size yet.
    rwheelwright:
    I liked them. I just had the robusto which was pretty good. The other size I have had is the big Gran Especial 8.5 x 52. It was freakin big but a good smoke. I have one or two of the Imperial Presidente 7 x 56 but I don't think I have had that size yet.
    Holy $%^& !!! That's a LOT of cigar !!
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The churchills that came in that hotly contested $350 box for $35 are pretty darned good. And I timed one of them at 2 hours and 40 minutes. Not too bad for a churchill.

Marty

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    The black dragon in my opinion is the weakest of the line. I have 4 tubes left and though they are damn pretty, I don't think the cigar is worth the price. Though the dragon fury's and dragon fires, and green and red dragon's are good. I really like the red dragons and dragonfires.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I picked up a couple Black Dragon robustos a while back. Pretty tasty, good spice, some pepper. Overall pretty decent
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I've smoked this stick in a couple different vitolas, and I have a couple more to try. My opinion is that it is a very good stick, well-made with a desirable flavor profile. It is not, however, the best value for the dollar. I'm not familiar with the tin - what's the quantity on those? And size? I've never bought tins before.. May be a good value in that case. I am glad to have tried it, and it was enjoyable, but it's not a stick I would personally covet.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Thanks Hays, that is the kind of input I was looking for. I am passing on them.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I just had a Black Dragon Robusto tonight. I was impressed. Very smooth. Heavy smoke output. Clean, even burn. Lots of pepper, cocoa and leather. I also picked up a rum or bourbon after-taste. I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was, exactly, but I was likin it.

While it's way outta my price range at retail, I'd jump all over a Daily Deal for these.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I think they're a great cigar.