Home Cigar 101

Beetles

HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
So today I was rummaging around for my morning smoke and I saw an actual beetle crawling around on one of my Cubans. I guess I'm going to have to freeze some cigars! It was in the same Tupperware where I put my box of Excaliburs that arrived just at the end of last week. I suppose this means that they were compromised as well?  I've read that the best way is to put the cigars in a ziplock bag and remove the excess air and stash them in the freezer for 3 days. After that a few days in the fridge. Is this correct? Also it looks like my next purchase will be a wine cooler. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any advice is welcome. 

Comments

• HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also I have another Tupperware with cigars that have no sign of beetles. But I guess the obvious answer is that I should freeze these as well being that right now I don't have a good way to keep the temp down where they are stored. That would mean all of my smokes will be in the freezer for a few days...
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After they are frozen they are permanently inert. Just freeze and smoke.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I understand, the real Paul is still frozen.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whispered words of wisdom: let it be
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do fridge for 12 hours- freezer 3 days- then fridge again for 12 hours. 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you got a good idea of how to do it Andrew. Verify, with an outdoor thermometer, that your freezer is at or below zero degrees fahrenheit. And leaving them an extra day or two in the freezer won't hurt a thing either. And I wouldn't bother freezing the cigars in your other tupperdor.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh crap, verify below 0°F, first I have heard that. Better go check for beetles.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, there's a detailed chart I've read somewhere on the interweb that gives detailed timedframes required to freeze each lifecyle of cigar beetles at each temperature range. If I recall correctly ... Zero degrees requires three days to do the job. More time is required for lower temps.
  • firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recommend a walk in freezer, better safe than sorry. Rather then compromise the bunch probably safest to just smoke in there from now on.
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This reminds me that my gauge is in the freezer.......oh **** 14°, might need to leave them in another day or 2
    A little dirt never hurt
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a coolerdor just throw in a few bags of ice.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns