Home Cigar 101
Options

Burning out the middle

CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
I've tried to take pictures of this problem but it's hard to tell anything from them, I notice it only happens with "darker" cigars as well. But when I light it, it will be fine, but after about 10-12 puffs I notice it is not burning right, so I look at the bright end and there is a black middle where a "hole" has burned down into it.  It affects the draw, heavily effects the smoke and I tend to have to relight those cigars because they burn themselves out due no heat in the middle.

Any one ever run into this issue?

Comments

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you got a tunneler.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant say for sure exactly what your problem could be but the solution/goal is to keep the whole foot burning. Maybe you aren't drawing enough to fire up the edges (wrapper/binder). However, its more likely the opposite,.... Maybe the wrapper and binder are too oily to burn as fast as the filler is willing to burn, in which case you need to slow down. Try firm draws but less duration. I don't know. I ain't now expert. Just keep trying new methods. Good luck.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigars are handmade. If it gets rolled with a gap anywhere in it, it tunnels. Happens more often to me with cheap sticks. Obstensibly the roller has less skill/talent that with the better brands.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't call any of them "cheap" by my own definition, but they are definitely on the cheaper side. Had 2 of my Chillin' Moose do this and then a Torano I got from @0patience.

I have tried different draws on such things so I'm more inclined to agree with Wylaff.

Though I had a cigar from 0patience that would not die how ever I puffed at it. I walk while I smoke. After 6 miles of walking and sucking on that damned thing it still had a few inches left. I don't remember what it was, but god dang did it take too long.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Humidity. It's a problem and often makes cigars burn funny.
    And this last summer, the humidity has been all over the place.

Also agree on the slow down part. That usually helps a lot.
    Post edited by 0patience on
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just watch two things; that the wrapper burns on each draw, and that the cherry isn't a pointy cone.  If the wrapper isn't burning on each draw, you're going too slow, and if the cherry is a pointy cone, you're going to fast.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis