Home Cigar 101

Stupid cigar questions.

genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in Cigar 101
1. Ok, I know I am not the brightest one here and I know that everyone's tastes are different but how does a cigar taste like leather and pepper to one person and coffee and vanilla to another? When the tobacco is aging it does not age in different spices does it? 
2. Is there really cigars that have the pre embargo tobacco still available?

Sincerely,
Not2bright

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Why does one person like lemon and herbs and another person like Cajun spice?
    Imagine a tobacco leaf like a pepper or tomato. At different stages in it's maturity, the "fruit" has different tastes to it. You can pick peppers off of the same plant and have different tastes to it. Then you have different people who are more susceptible to one flavor or another. 
    Some folks pick up on peppery tastes right away, others may notice sweet tastes more. 

As tobacco ferments, different flavors become more pronounced. Once the cigar is made and the aging starts, the different tobaccos blend to change the whole flavor profile.

Is there still pre-embargo tobacco available? Yes, there is still pre-embargo tobacco in the US. Is it available? That depends in the price I suppose. The cuban tobacco that is left, is hoarded away in some tobacco storage somewhere.

The fact that Camacho had the PE, says it is still out there.
    Besides, how much pre-embargo tobacco do you really think is in that cigar?

As for pre-embargo complete cuban cigars that were made pre-62, you would be surprised how many are still out there.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Imagine a tobacco leaf like a pepper or tomato. At different stages in it's maturity, the "fruit" has different tastes to it. You can pick peppers off of the same plant and have different tastes to it. Then you have different people who are more susceptible to one flavor or another. 
    Some folks pick up on peppery tastes right away, others may notice sweet tastes more. 

As tobacco ferments, different flavors become more pronounced. Once the cigar is made and the aging starts, the different tobaccos blend to change the whole flavor profile.

Is there still pre-embargo tobacco available? Yes, there is still pre-embargo tobacco in the US. Is it available? That depends in the price I suppose. The cuban tobacco that is left, is hoarded away in some tobacco storage somewhere.

As for pre-embargo complete cuban cigars that were made pre-62, you would be surprised how many are still out there.
    I guess I just have not had a pepper taste like a cigar yet. Good point on how much pe tobacco is in it. Creative advertisement maybe. 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People have varying palates - some are more sensitive, super-tasters - some taste very little; some pick up certain flavors more easily than others, but not so much on other certain flavors.  Then there can be two people who taste the exact same way, but the way they associate words with those flavors are way different.  I've run into this often in the coffee world.  One buddy, whose palate is better than mine notices raisins in some coffee and hates it, while I like it; and then I'm much more sensitive to musty/jungle/funk in some Indonesians than he is.  Another buddy keeps referring to the 'earthiness' he wants in his Panama coffees, and everybody knows Panamas don't have earthy flavors, but that's what he gets out of it.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    Well, some people associate "bite" in a cigar as spice or pepper. And I've seen that before.
    I mostly taste sweet, cinnamon or earthy, like hay or something.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I myself have never tasted pepper in a cigar. I was talking with @Yakster a bit ago and he pointed out that he doesn't taste coffee, but can taste some of the same flavors that can be found in coffee. Makes sense. I can tell the difference between so many types of pepper from cooking, that the term pepper could just be too generic. While I taste some of the same compounds, I don't associate them by themselves with "pepper".

It also has to do with what you are familiar with. If you have never been around real leather in your life, you probably won't taste anything that reminds you of it. You may taste the same things, but you associate them with something completely different. Like Jiunn and his wet gym sock flavor....
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    It all amounts to your experiences.
    I worked in cedar mill in high school and to me, I love the smell of western red cedar.
    To other folks, certain smells and tastes bring up memories and those tastes and smells will skew a person's view of things.

If any of that made any sense at all.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a cigar once and I was embarrassed to ask which end to light. :/
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know someone who has bales and bales of 1941 stashed away ... but can't use it cause it doesn't have paperwork. Back when it was imported there was prolly no need to prove provenance, I'm guessing.

Nothing the least remarkable good about the taste of it, in my opinion.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

jd50ae said:
    I've seen it happen multiple times...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done that^
    My pup tried to take my cigar via the lit end a couple weeks ago. She now won't come near me when I smoke. 

• CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    Used to smoke Filterless cigarettes and had people ask me which end to light when they'd bum on off me. xD
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:

I guess I just have not had a pepper taste like a cigar yet. Good point on how much pe tobacco is in it. Creative advertisement maybe. 
    I think pepper is more through the nose. At least that’s what I associate the burn with. 
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still haven't tasted Leather yet but it's been awhile since I licked a saddle....
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleddog46 said:
    I still haven't tasted Leather yet but it's been awhile since I licked a saddle....

Who was riding THAT horse?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleddog46 said:

:D yeah bet that was awkward 
  • GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's some newbie questions:

If you order cigars (Individuals) from an online retailer, should they come either in cellophane or a bag with some sort of humidification packet? Do cigars (Individuals) often get shipped with no cello or Humi packs for a week long trip in shipping?
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not often... not singles ... not unless they are in a box... and then that box is cello wrapped.

I usually send singles with a few shreds of tobacco scrap, to sacrifice, like anodes on a hull. Shipped out two this morning just that way. Have never had a complaint. On the contrary, people seem to like the baccy leaf touch. Some havbe even asked whether they are good in salads. Don't eat.

Question is, tho, Gary -- how come it takes a week to get a package to you? Even first class should travel faster than that. I mail out gars almost daily. Take the two which went 1st class today : one is going to Forest Lake MN & the other to Harwich MA. Each of them, the post office gives me an ETA Friday. Despite the Christmas rush. Just received four pounds of baccy leaves this morning. They were mailed Saturday. Seems like you are getting slow delivery there.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's some newbie questions:

If you order cigars (Individuals) from an online retailer, should they come either in cellophane or a bag with some sort of humidification packet? Do cigars (Individuals) often get shipped with no cello or Humi packs for a week long trip in shipping?
    If you order cigars (Individuals) from an online retailer, should they come either in cellophane or a bag with some sort of humidification packet?
    OK, this question requires two answers. You will get cigars both with cellophane and without because some cigar manufacturers use cellophane, some do not. The online retailer you purchase from should normally ship "singles" inside a ziplock bag to preserve humidity. (Obviously the ones with cello will be better protected in transport but usually there's no problem.)
     Do cigars (Individuals) often get shipped with no cello or Humi packs for a week long trip in shipping?
    You probably would get a water pillow or a tiny boveda packet inside the ziplock but even if you don't, a week in a ziplock without a humidification packet should't hurt anything.  But, a week for transport is too long, especially if the weather is hot. 

Señor Chistoso's Vocabulary Lessons

True or false...........
    1. Individual cigars are "singles"
    2. Cigars without cello are "naked"
    3. Cigars with cello are "tuxedo-ed" 

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey!  This isn't a cigar question!  It's a online-cigar-retailer question!

:) 
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    Thank you everyone for the info! Got confirmation and tracking # on 11/21 and package on my doorstep the evening of 11/28.. Thanksgiving and the weekend probably helped to delay my whopping order of 2 smokes..
    @Bob_Luken

Oops, forgot the vocabulary quiz.. I'm guessing I would check all "True" boxes.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    "tuxedo-ed", is that a word @Bob_Luken.

There you see the very thing I was going to warn @GaryThompson about and I stepped in it myself. I may be wrong but I don't think @Bob_Luken used to be an English teacher but he has always done his best to raise the bar around here on spelling/grammar use.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:

There you see the very thing I was going to warn @GaryThompson about and I stepped in it myself. I may be wrong but I don't think @Bob_Luken used to be an English teacher but he has always done his best to raise the bar around here on spelling/grammar use.
    I'm no english major but I did graduate from high school way back when grammar and spelling seemed to be valued more than it is now but, yeah. I know how to spell a few things and I don't write "then" when I should write "than". I'm not trying to insult any of you who do not know how to distinguish between "then" and "than", but I might have been an ass about it in the past. Sorry.

@Bob_Luken

The correct answers to my true / false quiz are,.... true, true and false. Tuxedo-ed is just something I made up. It could catch on though. We'll see. Probably not. I guess "cello-ed" would be useful and true. Does anybody already say cello-ed? If not, I'll claim it. Y'all go ahead and start sayin' it.  After it catches on, and is in widespread use you can say "I know the guy that came up with that word. He's a really cool guy." 
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleddog46 said:

That was me RIDING the horse but there is a difference between riding a horse and licking the saddle. Unless your into that sort of thing.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
    Bob_Luken said:
    dirtdude said:

I'm no english major but I did graduate from high school way back when grammar and spelling seemed to be valued more than it is now but, yeah. I know how to spell a few things and I don't write "then" when I should write "than". I'm not trying to insult any of you who do not know how to distinguish between "then" and "than", but I might have been an ass about it in the past. Sorry.

@Bob_Luken

The correct answers to my true / false quiz are,.... true, true and false. Tuxedo-ed is just something I made up. It could catch on though. We'll see. Probably not. I guess "cello-ed" would be useful and true. Does anybody already say cello-ed? If not, I'll claim it. Y'all go ahead and start sayin' it.  After it catches on, and is in widespread use you can say "I know the guy that came up with that word. He's a really cool guy." 
    Yeah, that's a good plan on a slippery slope... The next step is "Tukztoed" and "Sell-o-fane"... My grammar **** wife would go "nutz"

Cello-Ed
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleddog46 said:
    Sleddog46 said:

That was me RIDING the horse but there is a difference between riding a horse and licking the saddle. Unless your into that sort of thing.

Well drat!  I was hoping for a story involving a buxom young lady, ah well.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    I can't recall you ever being an a$$ @Bob_Luken, if a guy is a scared of a little learnin' he shouldn't be here.
    A little dirt never hurt