Home Cigar 101

2 New Humidors and my New Cigars

Hi,
I currently have 2-50 count glass top humidors.  I seasoned them for about 5 days prior to my cigars arriving with small dishes of distilled water.  My digital hydrometers (calibrated with salt) were holding at 70% and 72% when the cigars arrived.  I placed my 25 Churchill in the 72% humidor and placed my 5 samplers in the 70%.  I removed the distilled waters and placed 3 Boveda 72% packs in with the Churchills and 2 Boveda 72% packs in with the 5 samplers.  The Churchills are now holding around 63% and the samplers are holding at 64%.  They've been in the boxes for about 2 days now.  Any recommendations to get them up to closer to 68%?  Should I give it a week to see if they stabilize?  Thanks for the help! 

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong w/ 63 or 64%.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    May just need some more time to get there. Peter's right, nothing wrong with 63/64. If it starts dropping then I would check for leaks around the glass and the seal.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you seasoned your humi and put some cigars in and the Rh dropped?
    That's normal.
    Except, how many Boveda did you put in?
    What is your humidity in your home?
    Are you sure the humis are sealing ok?
    How often are you opening your humi?
    These are all factors.

But the thing with humis is, as was stated, sometimes you just have to give it time to recover.

Why are you shooting for 70-72%?
    They are gonna be mushy.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes if the cigars are dry they will suck up the moisture until they reach their prime. See how it does in a few days. 
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I try to keep my humis at 65% and if they should drop to 62% so much the better. I find they burn better at 62%....  

Just my $.02 worth.....
  • HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then why don't you keep them at 62?
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because it’s impossible to keep them constant unless you have an elaborate setup. Even boveda can be off a tad bit. I don’t fool with it as long as it’s between 63 and 70.