Home Cigar 101

Cigars have no flavor after being in humidor

Lordjust2Lordjust2 Posts: 11
Usually when I buy cigars, or receive my monthly subscription, I immediately put the cigars in my humidor and let them sit for about a month.  This was not an issue until I recently took up the hobby of smoking again. Now after I remove a cigar and smoke it, the flavor is missing. They all taste the same, which is just like something burning but no real flavor. I thought it was just me until yesterday when I bought a cigar and smoked it immediately. The flavor was so noticeable and exactly why I started smoking years ago. I use boveda packs also. Did I do something wrong to my humidor?

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    If the humidor was out of use for awhile you need to reseason it. Sounds like your sticks are dry.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure to use salt and pepper when you season it. Adds a lot of flavor.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    Make sure to use salt and pepper when you season it. Adds a lot of flavor.

reaction reaction s hiding waynes world avoid GIF
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So that's why all my cigars have a peppery taste.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    peter4jc said:
    So that's why all my cigars have a peppery taste.
    tired ugh sassy ryan reynolds eye roll GIF
    Before anybody says anything, I am aware of my hypocritical behavior. (I'm making fun of corny jokes on this thread while making a corny joke another thread.)  
    Who says I am joking?
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soak it in cider.
    That usually solves everything.

Say it a few times.
    I'll let you young pups think on that one for a bit. LOL!

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What cigars?

How long? 

What Rh?

@Wylaff is probably right.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Lordjust2Lordjust2 Posts: 11
    A mixed variety. No infused. Usually 30 days before smoking. My boveda pack is 69%
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s a puzzler alright 
    It is.  Still lots of unanswered questions.  How long a hiatus?  Is "a mixed variety" Swishers and Backwoods, or fuentes and Davidoffs?  Is your Boveda pack soft and pliable?  or feel like a graham cracker wrapped in paper?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi@Lordjust2 and welcome to the forum. This might help you out

Link
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

@Amos_Umwhat these cigars are not ones that were in my possession before the hiatus.  All of those cigars are gone. The humidors I did have previously, but I seasoned them with the 80+ boveda packs before putting in the cigars. 

When I say variety I mean a variety of hand rolled premium cigars. Too many brand to name. But everything from 5 Vegas up to Davidoff and diamond crown. 

I change my boveda packs regularly. Didn't say I was a novice. 
     @WaterNerd thanks for the welcome
    Sorry, hope I didn't offend, but you never know until you know. 

It really sounds like @Wylaff had it right, or it did until you explained. 

A while back I bought some GH Cabinet Selection cigars, I'd never had them, although I'd liked other GH offerings, but they were the high end (by price, anyway) and I really looked forward to them.  Dry and bland, even after months of resting.  I wonder if they were always that way?  or did something happen along the way.  Overheated in shipping, or something like that.  Some things are beyond our control.

edited October 2017
    Lordjust2 said:
    @Amos_Umwhat these cigars are not ones that were in my possession before the hiatus.  All of those cigars are gone. The humidors I did have previously, but I seasoned them with the 80+ boveda packs before putting in the cigars. 

Well, there's your answer; the cigars had no flavor before you put them in the humidor, for whatever reason - old, dried out, stale.  If they were mistreated before you got them, there may no way to get them back.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may be a Longshot, @Lordjust2, but could it be related to where you're smoking your cigar?  Smoking outside versus inside can put a damper on flavor and enjoyment 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My re-seasoned re-humidified humidor is now producing a much better cigar. 
    @Amos_Umwhat Understood. I think I may have to re-season my humidors the old fashioned way. This was the first time using the boveda packs instead of good old distilled water.

Thanks for all of your insight. 
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bovedas are great, but it is a 2 week process.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...