Home General Discussion

Re-Seasoning

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in General Discussion
How often do you re-season?

I figure since all but 2 of my humidors are empty it would be a great time to do so. Then I can think about restocking them with some foresight instead of just willy nilly.

Got plenty of humi-care wipes, and Boveda 69s soaking (osmosis?) up that distilled water.
Also have new batteries for my Cigar Oasis Caliber 4R Hydrometers. I have enough big and small round clear humidifiers to go round. I don't think I have left anything out and it is something I will enjoy doing.

Ima gonna go for it. :)

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously......do you re-season?
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doing my Old World now. It's been a while and I wanted to do it before it gets cold (humidity drop)
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As needed i do, usually winter.  Last year did not have to, but the year before i did.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually just in the winter and even then only if I notice that I’m having to do more to maintain the humidity. 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't the need to re-season just a symptom of a problem? A problem that re-seasoning will not actually fix in the long run? Just curious. Are there any wooden humi guys out there who don't ever have trouble with their wood humidors drying out? I'm out of touch I suppose. I'm a coolidor guy 100%. Even my two remaining desktop humis are parked inside of one of my coolers. 

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Bob_Luken said:
    Isn't the need to re-season just a symptom of a problem? A problem that re-seasoning will not actually fix in the long run? Just curious. Are there any wooden humi guys out there who don't ever have trouble with their wood humidors drying out? I'm out of touch I suppose. I'm a coolidor guy 100%. Even my two remaining desktop humis are parked inside of one of my coolers. 

You are as usual, correct.
    The cigars in my small humidor echo @Lordjust2's post. It would seem that a properly seasoned humidor should not need re-seasoning because there should always be a consistent level of humidity. I have in the past, let the moisture go unattended in an empty box, but started leaving a humidifier in them when it became obvious that was not a good thing to do.
    So, just to be on the cautious side I am re-doing them all.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re-season as if from scratch. Fill your humidor to a minimum of 50%. Always humidify (Bovedas are awesome).
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    Bob_Luken said:

The cigars in my small humidor echo @Lordjust2's post. It would seem that a properly seasoned humidor should not need re-seasoning because there should always be a consistent level of humidity. I have in the past, let the moisture go unattended in an empty box, but started leaving a humidifier in them when it became obvious that was not a good thing to do.
    But the problem with wooden humidors isn't actually the fault of the humidor. Having to re-season is not a sign that the humidor is faulty; you can have the best-made humidor, and moisture will still flow through the wood if the relative humidity is higher inside it than the surrounding environment.  The problem is inherent with them, and anyone using one or thinking of using one should realize that.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    jd50ae said:
    Bob_Luken said:

But the problem with wooden humidors isn't actually the fault of the humidor. Having to re-season is not a sign that the humidor is faulty; you can have the best-made humidor, and moisture will still flow through the wood if the relative humidity is higher inside it than the surrounding environment.  The problem is inherent with them, and anyone using one or thinking of using one should realize that.
    Correct. A really cold dry winter can suck the humidity right out.