Home Cigar 101

Cigar Wrapper

linesmanlinesman Posts: 4
Should I remove the clear wrapper from cigars before I put in humidor?

Comments

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a lot of talk on this subject, just search a little bit. It is just a personal preference. I leave mine on to protect the cigar as I'm searching the humidors for my next smoke.
  • linesmanlinesman Posts: 4
    I am about 40 miles from what used to be National Cigar corp in Frankfort, In. Always smoked their differnt brands and always fresh. Now ordering on line so a humidor is a must. I'll remove a few wrappers & let them lay naked for several weeks. I'm new here, thanks for all input.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum @linesman
    A little dirt never hurt
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Don't bother with a humidor.  You'll get better (and cheaper) results with a tupperdor or cooler.

Welcome!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    peter4jc said:
    Don't bother with a humidor.  You'll get better (and cheaper) results with a tupperdor or cooler.

Welcome!
    Absolutely true. Out where you live, I'm told a spring house or cellar works wonders too, if you have one.

Don't know much about the National brands. Forced out of business like so many factory jobs in the country. What are you ordering on line now?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a lot of talk on this subject, just search a little bit. It is just a personal preference. I leave mine on to protect the cigar as I'm searching the humidors for my next smoke.

Also, @linesman , what you're looking for is most often referred to here as "Cello", for cellophane.  Wrapper usually refers to the outer leaf wrapper of the cigar itself. 

When I first came here, I was returning to cigars after a hiatus of a few years and I would take the cellophane off, as it seemed the cigars didn't require quite as long a rest in the humidor.  Nowadays I rarely take the cello off until it's time to smoke, unless I'm dry-boxing, which is something else you should probably search for.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I now leave the cello on so I can put a date sticker on.
    Good idea, gears are turnin.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum @linesman

It's not often that we catch a new guy before he buys his first humidor. Often a new guy's first post is about a humidor problem (with his first humidor).

Here's a link to a thread topic you might like to read through. 
    https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/896591/veterans-advice-to-newbie-first-humidor/p1

The question asks "what advice would you give if you could catch a newbie BEFORE he bought his first humidor.?"

Usually a new guy isn't even aware of any other option besides a wooden desktop humidor to start out keeping cigars in. And he isn't aware that setting up and maintaining a humidor isn't ever as straightforward or trouble free as expected.

Again, welcome to the forum, if you got questions, we got answers. Good ones. Plenty of know-it-alls here. LOL

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    LoL My wife bought a humidor for me bout 22 yrs ago. Not much use till lately. Put guage thru paces, extreme wet then dry. Reads middle of green on scale, bout 68%. I did try the plastic bag gig, hard to keep lit. 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL.  Hopefully, you'll be one of those guys who doesn't know he's unhappy.   ;)
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis