Home Pipes

Do you have a favorite pipe?

roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
When you reach for a pipe, which one is it? Who makes it? Why do you like it?
One God, One Truth

Comments

• LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I have 2 favorites... depends on what mood im in. my first favorite is my Calabash. Not sure who made it as it was a gift from my wifes side of the fam/passed down from grand father. Its classy, has a nice lovely aged Meerschaum bowl and there is no worry of getting hot fingers from a warm bowl. :)

My second is my Churchwarden. It is the first pipe I bought for myself... Why do I like it? what is there not to like about churchwardens??? Im planning on buying a working replica of Gandalf's pipe from Lord of the Rings. :)
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Cool story about your family pipe. And churchwardens are very cool.
    One God, One Truth
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    My faves are two cheap-o cob pipes I got.

I have some really nice and cool looking others, but these two cobs have broken in and smoke like champions. The biggest reason i think these are my go too pieces is because i clench... and cobs are about as light as they come!

Aj
    What does "clinch" mean? Hold it tight between teeth and not use your hands?
    One God, One Truth
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fav's would be a Crown Achievement bent pot, has the perfect size bowl, a great feel, awesome grain and smokes very easy. Stanwell's Nanna Ivarsson, I know it's a machine made but this is the best smoker I've tried so far, the only way to pack it wrong is to overload it otherwise it doesn't seem to matter, ball some tobacco up shove it in, burns all the way to ash with maybe one relight.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 2 1970 Heibe pipes from Germany that were unsmoked. They are fantastic smokers. One has a huge bowl. I do have a few estate pipes I am still collecting a few materials to clean up. I do not smoke my favorites as often as I like.
    roland_7707:
    What does "clinch" mean? Hold it tight between teeth and not use your hands?
    exactly. I rarely use my hands. So my jaw can get oftly tired with a heavier pipe. I have found very few pipes that are really suited to this.

Aj
  • robidanrobidan Posts: 14
    Honestly I smoke my cob the most right now..
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I am tempted to say the one I am smoking as I really like all that I have. If I could only keep one, it would have to be the meer. Beautiful smoke, does not ghost, although if you don't keep the stem clean you can pick up some previous blends flavor. A run through with cleaner and it is back to new.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been using MT's and really like them! They are mid to low priced and perform very well
    Money can't buy taste
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I've been using MT's and really like them! They are mid to low priced and perform very well
    I am not familiar with MT unless you are using them as the initials for Mark Tinsky but I would not call his pipes low priced.
    J.S.:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I am not familiar with MT unless you are using them as the initials for Mark Tinsky but I would not call his pipes low priced.
    mitchell Thomas pipes but not the really cheap ones...they usually range at 40-60
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    J.S.:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    mitchell Thomas pipes but not the really cheap ones...they usually range at 40-60
    Couldnt agree more! fantastic pipes, but I wish they had bigger bowls.

Aj
    So, how many pipes do yall have?
    One God, One Truth
    dr_frankenstein56:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    J.S.:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Couldnt agree more! fantastic pipes, but I wish they had bigger bowls.

Aj
    I'm looking at buying one that has a pretty huge bowl at least to me. I kind of like smaller bowls though since I like to switch stuff around befor I get bored of it
    Money can't buy taste
    roland_7707:
    I have 10

4 cobs, 5 briars and one glass.

Aj
    roland_7707:
    I now have 2 cobs and 6 briars. I amoke the cobs the most because I don't want to take my nice briars to work. I need to get one of those pipe pouches so I can travel with a nice pipe.
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I quit counting at 20...or was it 30...

A rough guess I would say is probably a dozen or so cobs and 12 to 15 briar. No meer for me yet. I just haven't found the carving I like yet.

I have multiple favorites. I have a legend cob that the bottom hasn't burned out of yet. So it's probably my most smoked. I have a piuma nose warmer briar that is the perfect size for a shirt pocket and a 20 to 40 minute bowl. A wally frank Canadian with a solid 90 minute bowl is my work pipe. Then I have a free hand estate monster carved by a local only weeks before he suffered a stroke and lost his ability to carve.
    I now have about 125 pipes in my personal collection and another 65 for sale. 
    @jsnake you're my hero. I'll get there someday. I think my next step is getting into restoration
    But I think that might cause problems because I seem to be incapable of letting things go
    But I think that might cause problems because I seem to be incapable of letting things go
    Seems to be my issue. I always keep something out of each lot I buy. Sometimes one or two but sometimes almost all of them. 
    I have the urge to smoke out of every one, just to test them. Then I feel like once it's been in my mouth, it's rude to turn it over to someone else no matter how much I clean it, so I may as well just buy another new batch.
    I have the urge to smoke out of every one, just to test them. Then I feel like once it's been in my mouth, it's rude to turn it over to someone else no matter how much I clean it, so I may as well just buy another new batch.
    Exactly. I am slowly smoking through them all. I have several I’m super excited about like my Caminettos and a Ser Jacopo. I had the coral dot replaced in my Ser Jacopo Maxima S2 and when I got it back looking all pretty I put it to the buffing wheel which ate it. Made me sick. I managed to get the stem close to looking normal but I’m sending it and the pipe in to the authorized US repair shop to have it done right. I can fix loose stems but  I don’t have the proper tools for this repair. The shoulder near the tenon had a chunk taken out of it. I built it back up with CA glue but I don’t have a lathe to make sure that are around the tenon is flat and matched up perfectly. 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!  You guys have some impressive collections.  I'm just happy with my 3 regular Stanwell's, and a couple old pipes that are more mementos than anything else.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    edited November 2017
    jsnake said:
    I now have 2 cobs and 6 briars. I amoke the cobs the most because I don't want to take my nice briars to work. I need to get one of those pipe pouches so I can travel with a nice pipe.
    jsnake said:
    Top quote December 2014. Bottom quote October 2017. That's comes out to a pipe a week. @jsnake is a pipe buying machine!
    jsnake said:
    jsnake said:
    Top quote December 2014. Bottom quote October 2017. That's comes out to a pipe a week. @jsnake is a pipe buying machine!
    I have sold at least around 200 this year on top of those. Jumped into restoring pipes with no parachute and I’m loving it. I have learned a lot. Thankfully only made a few mistakes. Looking forward to the next bunch that I find.