Home Pipes

Ebay Pipes

MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
Not starting this thread to promote buying off of Ebay, since it could technically be considered a competitor of CCOM, but do you guys have any words of wisdom/caution for bidding on estate pipes there? Came across a few that are very eye catching. Any of you guys have stuff up on there regularly? If so I'll take a gander. 
“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns

Comments

• Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think @jsnake is the current resident estate pipe guy
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That'd make sense. @jsnake is that your username over there bud? 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Markwell said:
    That'd make sense. @jsnake is that your username over there bud? 
    Krell81 on there. 

There are deals to be found but the problem is many guys bid up stuff beyond its value. I hunt and look daily and my finds are spread out over time. I’ve had better luck taking other routes like estate sales and antique shops. You have to be careful. A bunch of people put up blurry pics and try to hide things. I know a few use shill bidders as well without a doubt. If you are looking for an individual pipe though you can get deals. 

Just fyi if any of you fellas need a pipe restored I do that for people at a reasonable rate. 
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jsnake said:

Just fyi if any of you fellas need a pipe restored I do that for people at a reasonable rate. 
    That was gonna be my next question! I'll go creep your account lol. 

Liking some those display cabinets too. PAS here I come...
    The bay is a crazy place. You can get killer deals and rare finds and then guys go nuts paying ten times what something is worth. I’ve had my share of luck. With caution and patience I’ve avoided disasters so far. 

Do yourselves a favor. If a guy is selling something with those blurry pics and bare details look and see what else he is selling. Amazing how many of them are selling pipes with great pics and tons of details. They are trying to pawn off their junk pile on some new pipe smoker. I see it all the time. So you’re new to the hobby but don’t want to spend the money and that’s great. Buy a cob. Cheap investment and they are great. Don’t buy Chinese knock offs and junk pipes that will discourage you. 

I have about 45 pipes for sale now. I post them up and sell some here and there. I don’t need the money. I’m not hurting for a sale. I just want to sell so I can buy more and restore them. I’m also not giving stuff away for free either. Yeah I get insane deals on some high end pipes and have little investment usually. Sweat equity mostly. I’ve given guys great deals many times. Sometimes I post a pipe and I’m firm on the price. It gets that price or I keep it but often I’m willing to negotiate. I like getting a great deal as much as the next guy. It cracks me up how many lowball offers and sad stories come in. And by lowball I’m talking ridiculous offers. I usually click on the offer then look at the persons feedback. Oh here is a guy selling estate pipes trying to buy a $300 pipe from me for $40 so he can flip it. Yeah I’ll pass buddy. 

There is a recent epedemic of Chinese accounts stealing ads and posting high end pipes for around $36. I don’t know why they have targeted the pipe community but I keep finding them. If you see a $300-$500 pipe posted for cheap like that it’s too good to be true. Unless of course it’s an angry wife selling off her soon to be ex husband’s stuff in a raging act of vengeance. That happens. Some people just don’t know what grandpa’s pipes are worth sometimes. 

Point of my story (I’m bored) is check out people you are buying from. Use the resources available there to see what the deal is. Don’t overpay and don’t get screwed over. As always call the fine folks here at Ccom because they will take care of you as well. Feel free to ask me questions if you have them. I don’t know everything about pipes but I do have many resources to check markings and value and age or era. Plus I’d love to help teach some of you guys how to fix up estates for yourselves. It’s a fun hobby. 
    Just wanted to tell you guys I have 39 estate pipes available on the bay and ending in 2 hours. Listed at half off or more of resale value so you can get some steals as the bidding is light and some have no bids. I'm out of room and need to move all of these. Just look for user krell81 or if you search for Dunhill 836 ODA you will see mine listed with a blue background and you can click on my name and sellers other items. Thanks. Anything that doesn't go will be relisted tonight and I'll be adding a few new ones including WØ Larsen, unknown free hands, possibly a Micoli.