Home Pipes

Sooo... Thinking of trying a pipe.

2»

Comments

• johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    C.com has it bulk for a great price 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 Oaks Syrian is nice, so is Squadron Leader, and Bengal Slices or Fusilier's Ration.  I really like pipe tobacco with Latakia in them.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I will have to try that Yakster thanks for the tip, should give me plenty to keep busy with for a while. Thanks all ;)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Brett, good to "see" you again,

Cornell & Diehl, GL Pease and Dunhill are all solid and have enough variety to keep you busy for a while! 

Hi Brett, good to "see" you again,

Cornell & Diehl, GL Pease and Dunhill are all solid and have enough variety to keep you busy for a while! 

Got to see you too and sound alike you've been doing well! Very neat pipe project you're working on from Mike and didn't know you were this into pipes, will definitely be leaning on your knowledge to learn a lot more myself :)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • eklektos44eklektos44 Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    If you want something full try GL Pease Key Largo. It has a bit of cigar leaf in it. Also C&D Old Joe Krantz. Most tobacco when it's fresh out of the tin is a little damp, so you might want to spread a bowlful on a paper towel and let it dry a bit. It's should feel just slightly moist but not crispy. If the tobacco is too wet you'll steam your tongue and have a hard time keeping it lit. Hope this helps. :)
    "Many a true word hath been spoken in jest"
                                                                  King Lear
    Thanks a lot it sure does! Had to wait to pick up a tin due to bills coming out of this paycheck but will be picking some up soon in the next few weeks. Thanks for all the info and tips gentleman and ladies :)

Brett
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well as the colder months are here I have been enjoying the pipes and samples that I have gotten. I have found that I enjoy aros, especially the sutliff dark decadence and the raspberry one I tried. They remind me of my hookah smoking days.
    Any reccomendations for a vanilla aro or any other favorites that my brothers of the briar have enjoyed? 
  • SmoothsticksSmoothsticks Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny this thread came up. I have been thinking about doing the same and trying the pipe scene. I smoked a cob pipe 10 years ago and had no idea what the heck I was doing. This go round I have all the brothers on this forum to direct me to a successful experience. Great info on this thread. Thank you all for your previous input!
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys thinking about starting I may have some available here in the near future. I always recommend a cob to start but I may have a few good starter pipes. I'm still looking through them and assessing them. 
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally decided to try out a pipe. A friend of mine here at work enjoys one on his lunch break and it smells amazing. He also smokes cigars but loves his pipe when he doesn’t have time to smoke a cigar. I’ve been on youtube watching the video’s on how to pack the bowl, light it, clean, etc but wanted to get some of your thoughts on a good starter set. Something that’s not going to break the bank but good enough so it will last a while. Thanks again for all of your help!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @WaterNerd

Hard to go wrong with a Missouri meerschaum cob and some captain black or some mellow to mild Virginia blends. Buy an ounce or two at a time until you develop a profile. Over on pipes and cigars you can sort by cut, profile, and many other options. I'm currently helping @Markwell dive in too. Pm me if you want

• MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go @WaterNerd! Yep...I'm just embarking on the journey as well. Haven't smoked one in at least 8 years. You might check into the frank method of packing on youtube. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cob is the way to start. Inexpensive and very forgiving. I only smoke aromatics so I couldn’t tell you what tobaccos to give a try if you don’t want a sweet smoke. Aros can be difficult to learn with because they tend to smoke wet which makes it hard to stay lit and a few give tongue bite. 
    My favorite way to try new things is to visit a b&m. Many shops will let you try a bowl before you buy. I have discovered many new blends this way that I otherwise would not have tried. As a point of etiquette I always made sure to buy a few ounces or a couple new cobs or something. Or sometimes the pipe acquisition syndrome kicks in and I leave with 6 new pipes and 2 pounds of baccy. At least I can smoke in the doghouse
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Long time forum member, first time poster (in the pipe thread).  Want to try my first pipe. Recommendations for a reasonably priced pipe, assessory, tobacco  combo?  
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    @Echambers, Missouri meerschaum cob pipe in the middle of their lineup like the legend or country gentleman or diplomat, soft flame lighter, Czech tool or pipe nail. Lane 1Q seems to be the first tobacco on many beginner lists, it's a gentle aromatic. Dunhill early morning pipe is a nice beginners English blend. Lane burley light without a bite is my favorite burley blend right now. @WaterNerd just started down this road too. Maybe he could chime in with what he started with. I forget exactly what he got but I remember it was very well rounded
    @Echambers, Missouri meerschaum cob pipe in the middle of their lineup like the legend or country gentleman or diplomat, soft flame lighter, Czech tool or pipe nail. Lane 1Q seems to be the first tofbacco on many beginner lists, it's a gentle aromatic. Dunhill early morning pipe is a nice beginners English blend. Lane burley light without a bite is my favorite burley blend right now. @WaterNerd just started down this road too. Maybe he could chime in with what he started with. I forget exactly what he got but I remember it was very well rounded
    Thank you sir. 
    edited November 2017
    • Lane 1-Q (1oz)
    • Lane Burley-Light-Without-A-Bite (1oz)
    • Lane BCA (1oz)
    • Lane MV-1000 (1oz)
    This is what he settled on. I went and looked it up in our messages. With this, he got an aromatic, burley, Cavendish and a virginia. A good start but I would suggest also trying the Dunhill early morning to taste test some latakia.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Echambers , looks like you picked some good things to start.  Be patient, pipes are different, and pipe tobaccos can be VERY different experiences.  I liked the 1-q, but it's sooo wet.  Good luck.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    @Amos_Umwhat i think @Captain_Call is talking about someone else. I️ haven't purchased anything yet. Still in the thinking phase 
    Yes. Sorry for the confusion. The above list was what @WaterNerd settled on after some discussion with me.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of folks remove a pipeful of aromatic tobacco and dry it out before smoking to avoid tongue bite. I'm more a fan of latakia blends. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Echambers said:
    @Amos_Umwhat i think @Captain_Call is talking about someone else. I️ haven't purchased anything yet. Still in the thinking phase 
    Just bought a couple of local blends and a cob pipe to see if ill enjoy the transition. 
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tried out a few blends over the weekend with a couple of the cob pipes I purchased. Nice change of pace. Looking forward to trying out my briar pipe this weekend :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln