Home General Discussion

Humidity Beads (Loose)

Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone tried the humidity beads you buy loose in 1 lb or 1/2 lb containers? I've been looking online and there is so many different brands at an array of prices. Just set up my coolidor and want to get something to provide good humidity. Right now I have 2 Xixcar jars in there. Any recommendations?
You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!

Comments

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Myself and many others use a specific type of non-scented kitty litter. It’s silica which is what those beads are made of and a jug of the stuff lasts for years. Exquisicat or something like that, but it’s just straight silica and works great. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Myself and many others use a specific type of non-scented kitty litter. It’s silica which is what those beads are made of and a jug of the stuff lasts for years. Exquisicat or something like that, but it’s just straight silica and works great. 
    Do you have to soak it in distilled water or put in dry?
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    heartfelt beads is what i started with but boveda are just to easy to ignore.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

edited November 2017
    Sleddog46 said:
    Do you have to soak it in distilled water or put in dry?
    Nether, you mist it heavily with distilled water but don’t want it “wet” either is what most do. Personally I got a Tupperware that I snagged from the wife that I drilled holes in the lid and filled it with kitty litter then dumped in some distilled water and mixed it up a bit and then put the lid on and stick it in the cooler. In the wineador I got two ceramic square dishes and dumped kitty liter and distilled water in there and stick it in. After a year or more and especially after a few years it turns brownish but still works. I swap it out occasionally just because. I will take a few pics and post soon to show. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Usaf06 said:
    For ease of use and reliability I love Boveda. And yes once you buy it once you can just recharge them over and over so they last nearly indefinitely. But, if you have to buy all you need in one go to setup then it’s a large price gulf between boveda and a jug of kitty liter and bottle of distilled water. On the cheap kitty litter is the way to go, but if you don’t mind dropping the money up front Boveda beats all imho. 
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm cheap so I think I'll get some kitty litter... Thanks
    Here’s how I use my KL in the cooler and wineador:

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just an FYI a "refill" of cigar oasis beads goes for around 8.00 shipped (with prime). Those are the same thing and expand like crazy, seriously be careful about how fast you add water.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleddog46 said:
    I'm cheap so I think I'll get some kitty litter... Thanks
    Kitty litter works well. Just make sure it’s unscented silica. I used it for years. But depending on the size of your humi you want to use at least a pound.  I now have been using boveda. So far so good. 
  • WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sleddog46 I use the loose humidity beads and never had any issues with them. Going on 2 years now and they keep my chests at 68% all year long. I purchased them on ebay $17.99  for 1lb. Link
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Contain Contain Contain
    OR
    You will be chasing around suddenly come to life little squishy things all over the floor.
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    For ease of use and reliability I love Boveda. And yes once you buy it once you can just recharge them over and over so they last nearly indefinitely. But, if you have to buy all you need in one go to setup then it’s a large price gulf between boveda and a jug of kitty liter and bottle of distilled water. On the cheap kitty litter is the way to go, but if you don’t mind dropping the money up front Boveda beats all imho. 
    So...I use Boveda, but can't seem to figure out how to recharge them successfully. I've tried putting them in baggies and also a tupperware container with a bowl of distilled water, left it in for over a week with no luck. What am I missing? Thanks.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    What we have here is,... failure to communicate. 

This conversation is supposed to be about one thing but it's bouncing between two different things because the terminology gets confusing. Before we go any further I want to slap some sense into some of you.  The first thing we were talking about, and the title of the thread, was in reference to silica. The generic term Humidity Beads, specific brand names like Heartfelt Beads,  and Silica kitty litter, are examples of silica and it's sometimes called silica gel although there is no gelatinous or jelly-like consistency to either of these that I've ever seen and they do not expand to a large degree when wet. Then the conversation started including the other products that actually do have a jelly-like consistency and they go by various generic names and brand names, gel beads, crystal gel, Xikar jars, black ice, florist gel, florist beads. These definitely have a jelly-like consistency and expand a lot when hydrated with water. Some you buy pre-hydrated in jars and some you buy as tiny dry pellets that you add water to yourself. Some are round some are randomly shaped. 

Let's see if you fella's can get your mind right. It's all up to you. 
    Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Bob, I feel better now that things are under control.  No sarcasm, either; you add value and direction when needed.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Peter @peter4jc. And I’ve tried both types mentioned by @Bob_Luken and for my $0.02, let me just say that, IMO, the kind that absorbs and expands is vastly more useful as a novelty item than as a way to control humidity in a humidor. 

I could expand (no pun intended) on that but I’m trying for ‘concise’ today....   :#
    A reply from Peter with no sarcasm? 

That kinda' sucks. 

That's like a box of Cracker Jacks without a prize.

GIF by Quartz

• Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gripnrip said:
    Usaf06 said:
    So...I use Boveda, but can't seem to figure out how to recharge them successfully. I've tried putting them in baggies and also a tupperware container with a bowl of distilled water, left it in for over a week with no luck. What am I missing? Thanks.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PNrz6DufHg  I have used this method with good results 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Place a bowl in a larger tupperware. Put distilled water in tupperware, not in bowl. Put boveda packets in bowl not in tupperware. Cover and let sit. Boveda will recharge all on their own.
    Or do what Bob (2Bs) luken does, if he would be so kind and repost his photo. 

I don't use kitty litter or loose beads.
    Sorry Bob (2Bs), I just could not take it.
    Post edited by jd50ae on
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gripnrip said:
    Usaf06 said:
    It may take longer than a week. Don't wait until they are solid. I have a bunch in my coolers and a bunch in a tupperware container with distilled water. Always some ready to go when I need to switch.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    Place a bowl in a larger tupperware. Put distilled water in tupperware, not in bowl. Put boveda packets in bowl not in tupperware. Cover and let sit. Boveda will recharge all on their own.
    Or do what Bob (2Bs) luken does, if he would be so kind and repost his photo. 

I don't use kitty litter or loose beads.
    Sorry Bob (2Bs), I just could not take it.
    I like that idea. More water would equal faster absorption time, probably. 
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just toss them in the distilled water, it takes a few days to a week to fully recharge.  When you remove them from the water put on a clean white towel or a few white paper towels to fully dry.  Be sure to flip them and make sure there is no moisture on the outside before you place back in the humidor.  Do not reuse the water to recharge more, just put everything needing recharging in one container. When they are done dump the water, clean the container by hand then place on the top rack f the dishwasher.  Do not do the last step if it is not dishwasher safe.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Great-will try all of the above-lol. Thanks again guys.
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do direct submersion.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    I dunk my bovedas too. I used to keep them dry as they recharged but now I just soak 'em.  

And as a follow-up to my post yesterday about the differences between the silica stuff and the jelly-gel stuff,...... They perform in different ways too. The jelly-gel stuff only gives off moisture/humidity and does not absorb any unless it's swimming in water. The silica stuff is supposed to absorb moisture/humidity and give off moisture/humidity and it remains stable because blah blah blah,..... I don't actually know enough to be explaining this to anybody but, silica can be very effective for the job we need it to do.  

Having said all that,..........I recommend bovedas.