Home Ratings & Reviews

Smaller ring guages

What is yalls view/ opinion on smaller ring guages? I wanted to pick up a fiver of the 5 vegas classic panatellas but all I have ever smoked (to the best of my memory) is normal to larger ring guages (48 being the smallest). Thanks for the input!

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I've noticed some of the flavors seem to be stronger with a thinner ring gauge.
    Though my draw technique is f'd with the thinner rings.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    I believe kuzi once stated that the wrapper to tobacco ratio is greater for some of the smaller ring gauge cigars. Don't quote me on that, and I apologize to kuzi if I slaughtered it.

I personally love the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet in the #4 size for that very reason though. There are a number of other cigars that I prefer in smaller ring gauges as well, like C.COM House blends.

I love all ring gauges, big and small. My 2 shillings.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I have never had anything really small and tend to like the big ring guages. I did just get an RP sig petite lancero that I'm looking forward to trying as it's a super small ring guage.
  • nudienudie Posts: 112
    anybody know of any good cameroon wrappers that come in a tin of ten or so.... like a 4x32 ish... something i can smoke on the drive around town cause its only 20min drive anywhere i wanna go
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    nudie:
    anybody know of any good cameroon wrappers that come in a tin of ten or so.... like a 4x32 ish... something i can smoke on the drive around town cause its only 20min drive anywhere i wanna go
    Maybe the CAO Cameroon Petites. Link. I don't know if they are any good, but that's the only cameroon wrapped cigar I know of that fits those dimensions.
  • nudienudie Posts: 112
    j0z3r:
    nudie:
    Maybe the CAO Cameroon Petites. Link. I don't know if they are any good, but that's the only cameroon wrapped cigar I know of that fits those dimensions.
    thanks for that link... i actually got 3 of these robustos in a sampler just today... ill see how they taste.. ive never looked at that stick specifically for the sizes
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Many people enjoy smoking the smaller ring gauges because the wrapper brings the flavor out in many cigars, and with a small ring gauge the wrapper takes up more of the wrapper to filler ratio. More wrapper - more wrapper flavor. Yay!
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Some cigars are better in a smaller ring and some aren't... Depends a lot on your taste. One I can tell you is fantastic in a small ring is the Nestor Miranda Special Selection in the lancero size. That cigar blows me away everytime. GREAT SMOKE!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    nightmaremike31:
    I believe kuzi once stated that the wrapper to tobacco ratio is greater for some of the smaller ring gauge cigars. Don't quote me on that, and I apologize to kuzi if I slaughtered it.

I personally love the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet in the #4 size for that very reason though. There are a number of other cigars that I prefer in smaller ring gauges as well, like C.COM House blends.

I love all ring gauges, big and small. My 2 shillings.

Im pretty sure it is part of his blending thread listed in his signature. The only challenge I would have to that is that there is a point where the rings gets smaller and the blenders use lesser quality leaf to roll that vitola.

• bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I love me some cigars with smaller ring guage
    PuroFreak:
    Some cigars are better in a smaller ring and some aren't... Depends a lot on your taste. One I can tell you is fantastic in a small ring is the Nestor Miranda Special Selection in the lancero size. That cigar blows me away everytime. GREAT SMOKE!

this made my day. I have one in my humi that hs been resting for several months. Might be time to try it out.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    bbc020:
    I love me some cigars with smaller ring guage
    PuroFreak:

this made my day. I have one in my humi that hs been resting for several months. Might be time to try it out.
    Oh man, I'm jelous now! I smoked my last one on my trip out west a couple weeks ago. The good thing is I know where to get a 10pk for less than $30. These are fantastic smokes bud.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    nightmaremike31:
    the post you are are talking about is the top of THIS page in my blending 101 thread.

proceed with caution.... math done by a rank amateur...
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I am a huge fan of smaller ring gauge cigars. In my opinion larger ring gauge cigar tend to have a washed out flavor as compared to their slimmer brethren.

It must be noted that smoking a smaller ring gauge cigar takes more skill. You must pay attention to how quickly you are smoking. The appeal of larger gauge cigars is that you can smoke them much faster without overheating them. With a smaller gauge cigar their is a much finer line between smoking too hot and the cigar going out. But once you master the art IMHO they are a superior smoke.
    madurofan:
    I am a huge fan of smaller ring gauge cigars. In my opinion larger ring gauge cigar tend to have a washed out flavor as compared to their slimmer brethren.

It must be noted that smoking a smaller ring gauge cigar takes more skill. You must pay attention to how quickly you are smoking. The appeal of larger gauge cigars is that you can smoke them much faster without overheating them. With a smaller gauge cigar their is a much finer line between smoking too hot and the cigar going out. But once you master the art IMHO they are a superior smoke.
    I agree, I'm not a huge fan of the small cigars but it does take a lot of skill.
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:

I agree, I'm not a huge fan of the small cigars but it does take a lot of skill.
    What do you know, you're just a bushy-tailed rat .... :-P
    madurofan:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:

You know, one needs to be around longer than a day or few to crack jokes, don't make me rise up the army!!!!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:

You know, one needs to be around longer than a day or few to crack jokes, don't make me rise up the army!!!!
    Yes Maddy, you are still "Too new" around here again to start up the smart a$$ comments already. Beside's he prefer's bushy-tailed RODENT.
    laker1963:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:

Yes Maddy, you are still "Too new" around here again to start up the smart a$$ comments already. Beside's he prefer's bushy-tailed RODENT.
    TOO NEW! Don't forget your places gentlemen. I believe I am still in the top two in post counts here. And I know I lead the way in smart-@$$ comments.

By the way Doug, when did cats befriend rats?
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    madurofan:
    laker1963:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:

TOO NEW! Don't forget your places gentlemen. I believe I am still in the top two in post counts here. And I know I lead the way in smart-@$$ comments.

I told you it's RODENT. He's very sensitive you know. LOL.

He is a RODENT with very good taste in cigars...what can I say. ;)

Back on subject. I have been enjoying smaller ring gauges for quite some time now. I still like some larger ring gauges for some sticks but I always want to try a stick in a small ring gauge if I like it in the larger sizes, as I find the smaller ring gauge more flavorful, and just more comfortable to smoke.
    madurofan:
    laker1963:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:

Yeah.. Well you need to be an "active" member on the boards, and for the record to the both of you, I prefer bushy tailed ass kicker!!!! hehe..
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    laker1963:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:

Yeah.. Well you need to be an "active" member on the boards, and for the record to the both of you, I prefer bushy tailed ass kicker!!!! hehe..
    LMAO ... Good to exchange barbs with you again feebs. How have you been brother?
    madurofan:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    laker1963:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:

LMAO ... Good to exchange barbs with you again feebs. How have you been brother?
    Not bad, could do better if I didn't owe a bunch of money to state.... GRRRR! Anyhoo, you going to stick around this time, or run away from my bombs!!?? ...
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    laker1963:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:

Not bad, could do better if I didn't owe a bunch of money to state.... GRRRR! Anyhoo, you going to stick around this time, or run away from my bombs!!?? ...
    Damn taxes. HAHA I've been here the whole time, stalking but not posting. I'm still repairing the damage you did with that freaking warhead you dropped on me. But I never ran.