Home Cigar 101

Stacking cigars in your humidor

0 That Guy 00 That Guy 0 Posts: 188
Is there a "best" way to stack the most cigars in a humidor possible and still make them easily accessible in order to avoid leaving the humi open for long periods of time while rummaging through to find the specific smoke you want?

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Maybe use dividers/trays and organize them according to your preference? I have 2 humidors, and I know exactly what's in them and where the cigars are, so I don't need to rummage much at all
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    ive tried extreme organization, the only way to make it functional is to lose a considerable ammount of space. I leave cigars in their own boxes until there are just a few left. I couldnt figure a good way to stack them in a desktop humi so I just stopped trying. I have one humi full of cigars I know little about and have not tried, another with just rocky patel, and my largest is with random sticks that I know and love. but pretty soon the first humi I will be trading a guy at work for a badass dual processor server.
  • kent1146kent1146 Posts: 86
    What I do is set aside a bunch of cigars that I am likely to smoke within the next 2 weeks, and leave those up at the top of the humidor.  That way, when I open the humidor, the sticks on top are the ones that I will reach for and smoke.  This saves you the trouble of digging through your entire collection to find one cigar that you'd like to smoke, and therefore reduces the wear-and-tear on your cigars, as well as preserving humidity.
  • I have 3 large desk top humidors & a stand up glass front humidor, which I love and keep about 700 cigars on hand.  Is there a proper way to STACK cigars in your humidor.  I am stacking about 3 high on each shelf now.  Is that too much. I'm maintaining 70/70 in all of them and not having any problems but don't want to make one, Thanks from Charleston. 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 3 large desk top humidors & a stand up glass front humidor, which I love and keep about 700 cigars on hand.  Is there a proper way to STACK cigars in your humidor.  I am stacking about 3 high on each shelf now.  Is that too much. I'm maintaining 70/70 in all of them and not having any problems but don't want to make one, Thanks from Charleston. 
    Sounds like you're doing fine. They stack 'em 4 rows deep in some boxes so, I guess you could go 4 deep if you want to. Or 5 or 6,... I really don't think it would be a problem. 

• GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bob_Luken @webmost

I love when someone else asks questions I didn't know I would have, and BAM! Answered.
     Thanks for visiting the ghosts of questions past for some of us noobs!
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    You're missing the point. The fun of having a big stash in the humidor is to enjoy rummaging around admiring them and snurffling their wunnerful aromas. 

Don't avoid the drool. Dive into it.

I was just going through mine yesterday trying to fit in some that came in, and thinking “Darn these smell good! “ I don’t get the same with my cooler though! Maybe because they are mostly in sealed boxes? But I love my wooden Humidors!
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stacking them that deep makes it harder to properly rotate them to make sure the humidity is evenly distributed in the cigar. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a good idea to rotate them from top to bottom once in a while and turn them over so they all stay properly humidified. 
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    What I do (for my large weathertight container humi) is take all the cigars that I have a lot of (box quantity or near it) and place them on the bottom. I remove 2-3 specimens from each of the quantity before doing so and place them with the rest that will be above. This allows me to age the higher quantity sticks and keep them out of the way. From there I only separate a few ultra premiums from the rest of the premiums that are all mixed together. I also place the odd shaped longer cigars sideways in one corner to protect them. This leaves enough variety near the top to keep things interesting and provides varying options. I don't worry about rotating and such; placing boveda packs on top of everything ensures humidification is ample as humidification falls and a tight seal ensures a controlled environment. I keep my hygrometer on the bottom (bovedas on top) and readings stay rock solid. Most of my cigars are 5+ years old with many 6-7 years old and I have zero issues with draw and burn from my aged stock.       

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Humidity falls? Seems like I remember this debate not too long ago. I think humidity rises. Right? I'm not remembering for sure. I'm gonna google the forum here and ask for an answer I think was given in another thread but we might as well review the subject because I keep forgetting this one. 

Does humidity rise or fall within a cooler/tupperdor/humidor? In other words, If I only have one big BOVEDA, should I stick it in the bottom of my cooler or lay it on top of the pile of cigars near the top? 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it rises, like clouds.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain