Home Pipes
Options

Tobacco storage and rest

rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
Looking for some advice on a baseline for storing and resting room temp prior to smoking.  I understand that each blend will be different and some of the aromatics seem to be very moist compared to some of the other blends.

If you get an order in today, what is your standard operating procedure?  Right into a jar, let it rest 1 week, let it rest out of the jar for 30 minutes?

Comments

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm new but it goes right into a jar. 

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is bulk I jar it right away. I let it sit out for 20 minutes or so right before smoking it. Not the entire jar but enough for a bowl. I have a baggie of stuff I've been carrying around a year. It has lost some of that wetness and smoked much better now. Still tasty too though some aromatics don't hold up like that and lose flavor. If it's sealed in a tin I leave it. Trying to smoke through my opened stuff first. 
  • Options
    I am starting to accept the fact that the learning curve is much steeper for Pipes than cigars, and that is the fun of the hobby.  No matter how many articles you read or you tube videos you watch, you have to learn to pack a pipe your way and develop a cadence for lighting and smoking.  A lot of trial and error, but the good part is that you waste a bowl of bulk tobacco that is probably worth 50 cents.

Thanks for the input
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am starting to accept the fact that the learning curve is much steeper for Pipes than cigars, and that is the fun of the hobby.  No matter how many articles you read or you tube videos you watch, you have to learn to pack a pipe your way and develop a cadence for lighting and smoking.  A lot of trial and error, but the good part is that you waste a bowl of bulk tobacco that is probably worth 50 cents.

Thanks for the input
    Seems we are learning together. And I agree with all of this Just when I though ti had got the hang of a pipe I switched blends and had to smoke that blend differently. Then I bought another pipe...

But I suppose that's the fun of it for me, trying to find the right way to smoke a particular blend in a particular pipe. 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found that the learning curve is longer if you try learning multiple blends at once. If you learn one blend very well, your experience will allow you to learn subsequent blends faster. 
  • Options
    Echambers said:

Thanks for the input
    Seems we are learning together. And I agree with all of this Just when I though ti had got the hang of a pipe I switched blends and had to smoke that blend differently. Then I bought another pipe...

But I suppose that's the fun of it for me, trying to find the right way to smoke a particular blend in a particular pipe. 
    Yep, my thoughts exactly.  Every blend and every pipe are totally different.  It makes it interesting and fun though.

Hmm.  May have a target for my first pipe bomb as well.
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers said:

Thanks for the input

Yep, my thoughts exactly.  Every blend and every pipe are totally different.  It makes it interesting and fun though.

Hmm.  May have a target for my first pipe bomb as well.
    I agree!  I think @Captain_Call would make a great target!
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. I'm full up to the brim. Every jar...i swear