Home Cigar 101

Let me guess...More cigars right?

GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in Cigar 101
Last night, I put into use my Coleman Xtreme 50qt Cooler, filled with about 80 cigars,  2 large, and 3 or 4 small Boveda 69 packs. RH dropped but held steady at 58rh through the night with temp at 70. 
My questions are: Where is the low RH "Pucker Factor" threshold? How low of an RH inside this thing can it drop to before I panic? And How do I raise the RH? More Bovedas? More cigars? More empty cigar boxes? Wishful thinking? 

More cigars seems the general rule of thumb around here (I've been browsing some old posts on the subject) but I thought I should ask anyway. 

Thanks, 
Gary

Comments

• MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more cigars the better off you'll be, but in the meantime I'd just toss in a few more Bovies if you have them on hand. If memory serves me, it took about a week for everything to equalize when I set up my cooler. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First.....don't panic.

You live in a desert and there will be fluctuations in temp and humidity. 
    Too cold is never a problem, but extended temperatures near 80 and you may want to find a cooler spot in the house. If you are blessed with a rare basement here congratulations! 
    You can't have too many Bovedas here, and they are easy to recharge with distilled water. I doubt you will ever get the rh near 70, be happy with 60 to 65% , and I think your cigars will smoke better. Cigars are known to blow up here if you don't have the patience to dry box a smoke stored at 70, and cut and torch it immediately at our insanely dry climate. 
    We live in the wrong state to be @nal about rh and temp! 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more Boveda the better! Got like 38 large packs in my coolidor lol
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you need more bovedas. In the meantime, you can always add some of the "lesser" types of humidification devices to your set up (Especially if you already have these on hand.) The cheap humidifiers that come with cheap humidors with the green foam inside. I know everybody says they will mold eventually but you don't have to worry about it happening for a while yet. Also gel humidifiers. The only thing these types of humidifiers do is discharge moisture therefore adding humidity to your situation. And there's always distilled water in a bowl, but be real careful not to spill it. You could use a soaked sponge or towel in a bowl instead so it would be less chance of a spill. 
  • GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    Looks like you need more bovedas. In the meantime, you can always add some of the "lesser" types of humidification devices to your set up (Especially if you already have these on hand.) The cheap humidifiers that come with cheap humidors with the green foam inside. I know everybody says they will mold eventually but you don't have to worry about it happening for a while yet. Also gel humidifiers. The only thing these types of humidifiers do is discharge moisture therefore adding humidity to your situation. And there's always distilled water in a bowl, but be real careful not to spill it. You could use a soaked sponge or towel in a bowl instead so it would be less chance of a spill. 
    Never had a humidor so no parts to "McGyver".  Jumped straight from a gallon Ziploc bag to this 50qt cooler thanks to the Sadists *AHEM*, I mean, Saints around here that have ruined me forever..

I think the medium and small empty cigar boxes I added must have been extra "thirsty" since I've had them sitting in the closet for months.. I took a small bowl of distilled water and lightly wiped the boxes down, then returned them and the bowl to the cooler. A couple hours ago, the RH was 70 and temp 68. I removed the water bowl.  Current RH 68 and temp same. We'll see what it does overnight but I do plan on more Bovies. Thanks for jumping in. 
    Guitarded said:
    First.....don't panic.

You live in a desert and there will be fluctuations in temp and humidity. 
    Too cold is never a problem, but extended temperatures near 80 and you may want to find a cooler spot in the house. If you are blessed with a rare basement here congratulations! 
    You can't have too many Bovedas here, and they are easy to recharge with distilled water. I doubt you will ever get the rh near 70, be happy with 60 to 65% , and I think your cigars will smoke better. Cigars are known to blow up here if you don't have the patience to dry box a smoke stored at 70, and cut and torch it immediately at our insanely dry climate. 
    We live in the wrong state to be @nal about rh and temp! 
     Thanks for the info,  and I agree,  they do seem to do better for me at a lower RH.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the medium and small empty cigar boxes I added must have been extra "thirsty" since I've had them sitting in the closet for months.. 
    Yep. :)
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you calibrated your hygrometer Gary, I have that exact one, have calibrated it several times and know it reads 5% low. It says 58 I read 63 so it's all cool. I am sure they are not all the same but if you haven't calibrated it you should.
    A little dirt never hurt
    dirtdude said:
     Have you calibrated your hygrometer Gary, I have that exact one, have calibrated it several times and know it reads 5% low. It says 58 I read 63 so it's all cool. I am sure they are not all the same but if you haven't calibrated it you should.
    I didnt know you could adjust it.. I salt tested it and it ran 2 points low so i figured all good.  You say you've had to recalibrate a couple times? How fast was it going out of whack? I'll keep a close eye on this one for a while to keep it honest but thanks for the heads up!
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It never goes out of whack and is not adjustable, if it's 2 points low it's 2 points low, just so you know that. Maybe recalibrate was an incorrect terminology. I re-checked it after several months to see if -5% was still an accurate reading and it was.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing you can do is toss in some of the packing balloons or blow up some ziplock bags and toss in there to take up space. 
    dirtdude said:
    I didnt know you could adjust it.. I salt tested it and it ran 2 points low so i figured all good.  You say you've had to recalibrate a couple times? How fast was it going out of whack? I'll keep a close eye on this one for a while to keep it honest but thanks for the heads up!
    Not all hygrometers can be adjusted. 
    Rhamlin said:
    Another thing you can do is toss in some of the packing balloons or blow up some ziplock bags and toss in there to take up space. 
    The shyte you know, brother, the shyte you know.   :D
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't waste your time with those hydrometer's that come with a store bought humidor, spend a few bucks and get yourself a digital one.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
    Sleddog46 said:
    Don't waste your time with those hydrometer's that come with a store bought humidor, spend a few bucks and get yourself a digital one.
    Agreed. I got a digital unit at WalyWorld for about $9. 
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Gary needs more Cigars to fill up the space...

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    My go to Hygrometer. 
    Never had a problem with them and these old eyes can read it 10' away.
    Well, when the battery died, I suppose. LOL!

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • SmoothsticksSmoothsticks Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a couple adjustable ones that have served me well. They came from the store dead nuts on the salt test but it's nice to know you can adjust them if something changes over time.

edited January 2018
    NorCalR1 said:
    Who me? Shoooot... Who needs more cigars? Check this out  B)@Rhamlin

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this your first cooler? They look lonely ^
    Is this your first cooler? They look lonely ^
    Yessir! Followed @Bob_Luken advice, his posted article caught this Newb before I bought a humidor.

You don't think the mini Zeppelin is working...? Aww hell, yup.. Why fight it? I need more cigars in there :D
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Hamlinburg? That name deserves some kind of award
    I'm ridiculously proud of that, I'll have you know. 
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As well you should be. It's hilarious
    NorCalR1 said:
    Who me? Shoooot... Who needs more cigars? Check this out  B)@Rhamlin

Lol!!! I’m famous 
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invest in some empty cigar boxes - free to a couple of buck at your BnM. They have several advantages:
    • they will protect the sticks
    • makes it easy to sort
    • add a nice cedar smell
    • helps regulate the Rh.

Sort them how you like but i find it convenient to have boxes of various sizes so you have one or more for robustos, one or more for toros and so forth.

-- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    Echambers said:
     SeeInvest in some empty cigar boxes - free to a couple of buck at your BnM. They have several advantages:
    • they will protect the sticks
    • makes it easy to sort
    • add a nice cedar smell
    • helps regulate the Rh.

Sort them how you like but i find it convenient to have boxes of various sizes so you have one or more for robustos, one or more for toros and so forth.

Sooo... What you're saying is, not more cigars, but more empty boxes?
    Kidding.  The different sized boxes sound like they would be a big help. I was thinking either them or cedar trays? Kinda like the sound of different fits for different sizes now that you mention it. Just need to get around to doing it.