Home General Discussion
Options

Silica gel / Propeline Glycol

jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
I read here that the cat litter could be used for humidification. I have Silica gel I bought to make screened packets for my Ammo boxes. I'm wondering though if it has the properties that Propeline glycol has in reguard to temp and humidity. It's a desiccant and not designed to release moisture but to trap it. Any thoughts ?  I guess the gauges will tell the story if I try it.

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
     The silica kitty litter method is pretty easy but you may have to add or subtract some moisture to achieve your desired RH. Some call that "training" it. But once it is stable it is usually very stable and easy to maintain the desired RH. Use a spray bottle to add moisture and bake in oven to subtract. And whichever brand you choose, Test it for scent even if it's unscented get a tablespoon of that stuff good and wet to see if it's really unscented.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Thanks Bob!  No, not many enjoy the flavor and heady aroma of a Cat Litter infused cigar.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made the mistake of buying some once that didn't mention scent AND had no smell when dry. Then the water hit it,.... smelled just like that spray people try to cover up their poop smells with.  
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used kitty litter for years. It’s about the cheapest way to do it there is. Just make sure you get the unscented silica type. And don’t be stingy with it better to use to much than not enough. Don’t soak them just wet them down then just watch your hygrometer and add water as needed. It’s a learning process of trial and error till you get the hang of it. 
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't want to work that hard so I switched to Bovedas.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Yakster said:
    I don't want to work that hard so I switched to Bovedas.
    Sounds good but I'm cheep. Tighter than a popcorn fart.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're rechargable!
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    I can use cat litter for cat litter though. Try that with a boveta.