Home Non Cigar Related

Wifi nightmare

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
We had a problems with out wifi, so we got a new fancy, long range blah blah blah wifi router.
It installed and worked great, but one thing I hadn't considered or thought about.

All the crap that was tied to the old wifi.
OMFG!
Printer, lights, cameras, phones, tablets. 
I've spent most the afternoon messing with crap to get it working.

This router better last. 
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should have said, we had problems with OUR wifi.
    Sure wish someone would allow longer editing like the old forum program.
    I know, that's asking a lot.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    You can't just use the same network ID and password?  Seems like this would be easier than changing everything else.

And the long range router stuff...there's limits on broadcast power, right?  Inverse square law always applies, unless the universe is broken.  I've never thought they could really improve over other routers that much because of FCC limits and physics.  I guess they could tweak freqs for better passage through walls or broadcast better omnidirectionally so they get more coverage, esp. between floors.  Still, IMHO, the only way to boost signal strength is to get a repeater.

Anyway, doesn't matter since you bought the thing.  The main thing is the first thing.  Why not change the network to what you had before?  Should be able to do that.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Different WiFi. So when we changed it, I guess it changed the WiFi name and all. So all the stuff being on the WiFi, had to be set to the new WiFi. 
    Not sure. Got most the stiff changed over. Still have a couple cameras and front porch light to connect to the WiFi, but I had enough of messing with it last night and said the hell with it.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    edited January 2018
    I've had two different routers with the same network info, now, never had to change anything but the router settings.  I've had countless internet providers, it seems.  Shouldn't matter what the internet provider is, unless they force you to use their wifi router and won't let you change settings.  Even so, you can usually shut off the wifi function (or not use it) and just use it as a modem then attach your own router between the modem and computer.

I want to be clear, because I hear people locally ask all the time "who do you get your wifi from?" My answer is always, "me."  I pay for my internet connection, but that's not WiFi.  Most ISPs offer modems with wifi capabilities, though not all do and some charge extra.  WiFi =/= internet. WiFi = wireless connectivity to an internet access point.  And FYI, I try to use the ethernet cable as often as possible since it will be faster than most wireless systems.  Realistically, this means plugging in my desktop and smart TV.  At work, I plug in the laptop.  Wireless just isn't fast enough for me sometimes, still, it's convenient and necessary.

Several standards of WiFi are out there, commonly B, G, N, and AC.  These letters follow 802.11 in most descriptions, which is the lingo for "WiFi standard of communication."  These different formats have different specs.  Info can be found here:
    http://homenetworkadmin.com/wireless-b-vs-g-vs-n-vs-ac-difference/
    Some devices can't connect with some formats, though many routers are flexible and allow multiple protocols for such cases.

After the 802.11 standard version, what matters is the network ID, key, and encryption method.  These are what allow your devices to connect as long as they're compatible with the standard for your router.  It's much easier to adjust settings on the router to what all your devices are set for rather than set all your devices to what's on a new router.

Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    What about the WiFi name and password?
     That is what I had to change on everything and almost all of it had to be reset to accept a new WiFi.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Usually there's a way to change the name of the WiFi network (network ID) and the password (key).  You access it through your web browser. 
    https://www.pcmag.com/article/346184/how-to-access-your-wi-fi-routers-settings

Older Linksys routers used routerlogin.net instead of the IP address, although that would work, too. Some routers come with admin software.  Without knowing what you have it's hard to say how best to change the settings.

Ok, that's probably our problem. We just use the software to change the password. Never considered there was anything else to do. 
    Least the instructions don't say anything.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep @martel is correct. 

Biggest issue most people have with home routers is placement.  It generally goes wherever Comcast or whoever puts the cable. But they are putting fit where it is easiest for them not where it makes the most sense. If you have a multi level house or apartment and need equal access everywhere the best place, generally, is the stairwell. 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."