Home Cigar 101

ziplock bags

Do any of you store cigars in ziplock bags for long period of time if your humi is full? Is this a bad idea or can it be done successfully?

Comments

• The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    I have had mine in a zip bag with a humi pillow since Jan. 1st because I am in the process of seasoning my new coolidor. They are fine as long as you have a humi pillow in with them
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    That's actually how a lot of people store thier smokes. Its cheap and easy to sort. The ziplocs will work fine, just get some water pillows for them.

"Long ashes my friends."

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    cogarbob:
    Do any of you store cigars in ziplock bags for long period of time if your humi is full? Is this a bad idea or can it be done successfully?
    Before I decided to invest in a humidor, the zip lock bag was the method that worked for me. Then tupperware. But always with either a damp paper towel, or water pillows for humidity.
  • brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    I have done it in the past fine, but I've also had to do it and ended up with mold.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    A ccom zip lock and some humi pillows will work just fine, used it often
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    I read somewhere that humidors should not be air tight and that they should breath somewhat.  To the point, a good humidor you can close the lid with a dollar in it and still be able to pull it out with some resistance of course.  My personal experience with storing cigars in ziplocks and pelican containers (waterproof type hard case) has been that if left too long with out opening every now and then it had some light mold. No problems short term though. Never happened in any proper humidor either. 
    you can find a basic humidor in some samplers on sale, and even a basic one isn't that spendy.  Proper storage is key if your planing on keeping handmade cigars for some time.
  • sweetjdsweetjd Posts: 39
    what's a coolidor?
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    a converted cooler into a humidor.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Currently I am using three zip lock bags, the oldest being in use for about four months. I am using 69% Boveda in one, Drimistat tube and one water pillow in one and drimistat tube and 69% boveda in the last one. No mold yet. Cigars are still great looking... I do check these once a week to let them air-out a bit and then reseal them. There is no problem in any of them. I actually am using four other bags inside my two cooleridors with a 69% boveda in each. Just started these about a month ago. I check each of my storage devices once a week to resolve any problems that may be building...but so far all is well in Gotham. (just a note, the first three zips used are not in a humidor of any type...just in an area that is not hot or problematic)
  • sweetjdsweetjd Posts: 39
    could you do the same thing with a small fridge? and how would you do it? thanks
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    You could but you need to be really careful ...... The Cank actually did this and he ran the mini fridge ..... then went to putting it on a timer to off permanently and has had alot of problems ...... the downfall isnt so much the low temp .... usually the highest is 49 degrees .... but the amount of excess humidity the compressor causes ...... it will throw every thing out of whack if your not carefull ..... i love the coolidor pics they work so well and keep the humidity and temp perfect for me ...... i went with the retro vintage old coleman brown/woodgrain convertable cooler cause it looks pimpin ........