Home General Discussion

Cigar Humidor and Cigar Oasis

hi guys I am new to the forum and can’t wait to see all the great topics on here .   

I am having a little sitaution right now and would like some advice .  I bought a El Diablo 300 count humidor .  To season it I placed the two foam hydrates in the box with distilled water in them dampened a clean sponge and place it in the humidor on a baggie and closed it for three days .  After 3 days it said 77 percent I took the sponge and wiped the bottom of it very very slightly not that wet and put my cigar oasis in there at 70 percent .  I placed my sticks in there that night and I am still averaging 82 percent and running at about 78 percent !   Currently I opened the humidor up and unplugged the Oasis and I’m gonna let it air out for a couple hours then plug the oasis back up and put it back then .    Should this help ?   I have about 30 sticks in there did that humidity ruin them in just a few days ?     Sorry for the long question 

Comments

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A happy humidor is a full one.  Also you are running overkill on humidity.  
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • I know I want it to be around 68-70
    I meant the oasis for 30 cigars is overkill.  That thing is never going to stabilize where you want it with that few cigars in it and an electronic unit set to kick on at 70.  Also check the calibration on it, mine is off +6, meaning that if mine is set to 70 its really set at 76. 
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Well that’s just great how many sticks do I need to have in it ?   I thought you don’t have to calibrate them ? 
  • I have 36 sticks and just ordered a box of 20 Rocky Patel New decade 
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that’s just great how many sticks do I need to have in it ?   I thought you don’t have to calibrate them ? 
    As many as you can stuff in there and a couple coolers full too; just to be safe. At least that’s what I tell the wife.

Just yell to the other room, “Honey the guys say I need more cigars”. 

You want it about 3/4 full is what I’ve always heard. 300 ct, you’ll only get 200-250 in there realistically. You would probably do better to get a brick of boveda packs and put in there instead of the oasis. 
  • LoneSmokerLoneSmoker Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    You need more sticks in there
    LoneSmoker

With just a single cigar, we can escape from the cares of the world. - Richard Carleton Hacker
  • Well I’ll have 50 by the end of the week is it going to ruin them all I think I have it balanced out now.  Looks like the CO was off by 5 percent .  I put a Boveda pack in there to get it to 69 percent 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's all cool, would add more cigars at the earliest opportunity.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My CO runs about +3 on temp and humidity settings.  Yes the CO is overkill but it should still give you a steady active humidification.  If you have it, there is nothing wrong with using it.  Adjust for the difference and you should be good to go.  Definitely more cigars would assist in keeping things stable.  

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not adding CO to my list of acronyms. 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good move, Bob.  You have to draw the line somewhere.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Just to make sure though I am calibrating my western humidor digital hydrometer right now once I see it’s at 75% I’m going to put it back in my humidor and adjust as needed that’s all I need to do correct
    Use calibration kit or salt test, wait for it stabilize and stay there for a day, not 5 mins.  Then you will know what that one is.  Once that one is set place next to the oasis and wait a few days, then you will have your answer.  This sort of thing takes time, think weeks not days.
    MOW badge received.
  • Well after a lot of adjusting I think I have it close the CO is definitely off by anywhere from 3-6 percent I have adjusted it accordingly .  I have my trusted and calibrated hygrometer in there and it’s saying 67 so as long as it stays there I will keep it as is ! 
    Now fill that **** up!
    MOW badge received.