Home General Discussion

Large Pelican Case

i have a large pelican case I believe it’s the 1500 .  I had bought it a long time ago to store cameras in and I haven’t used it in years .   I was gonna give to to my uncle to use as a cigar humidor .  What do I need to do to it ?  Take the foam out ?  Season it ? Glue Spanish cedar veneer in it ? 

Comments

• Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably just add  Cigars and your favorite humidification device.   Unless you're using it for long term storage I wouldn't bother with adding Cedar
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take the foam out and use boveda packs and it's good to go
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• 84CJ784CJ7 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been using (2) Pelican 1470s for about a year now.  Took out all the foam except for the lid.  

I have 3 Bodivas in each and open it once per week minimum for air exchange.  Only need to replace the Bodivas once in a year.  

Carry it in the same position it sits normally not by the handle.  With cigars being loose, they will get damaged if you carry it by the handle.

I think they work great.

Mark

• Sounds good I was thinking it would work fine and can probably fit a lot of cigars too. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking replace the foam with new and 4 Boveda packs. With fiam you can just grab it and go without worrying about damaging your sticks.  Several travel humidors are just small pelican cases with the rippled foam 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • I think the plan will be for him to keep it in his closet laying flat and he might add a couple of cedar trays 
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well then cancel that idea
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5