Home General Discussion

Lighter opinions

Question from a somewhat newer cigar smoker .  I got a Rocky Patel south beach quad jet table top lighter for Christmas .  I am wondering if it is easier to mess up the smoke expierence by incorrectly lighting my stick with a quad jet ?  It seems like if I use a single jet I get a better slower light .  Whether I’m toasting first or just going straight to a light with the quad jet it seems to get the cigar very hot very quickly . 

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Hold it further away...  and maybe think of it like this; don't make a distinction between toasting and lighting - toast from a distance and don't use more heat to light than you would to toast.

And, of course there will those who advise you toast and light w/ a soft flame.  A Bic looks super low-rent (right @Patrickbrick ?) but that's not a bad way to go.  The pinpoint flame of a single-jet torch is really best suited for touch-ups when your burn line gets wonky.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Is it maybe a good idea to use a quad jet for larger ring cigars say 58 and above ? 
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a firebird triple flame and a single el cheapo. I prefer my cheapy lighter. Like Peter mentioned, hold it further away.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Do what ever makes you happy.
    You will need to discover what wprks best for you. Cause cigars are an experience thing, the more you experience them, the more you find out that most those experts are full of crap.

Listen to what people try, try that and if works, great. If not, try something else. Until you find what you are comfortable with.

Just my opinion. Worth what you paid for it. Nothing. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Hold it further away...  and maybe think of it like this; don't make a distinction between toasting and lighting - toast from a distance and don't use more heat to light than you would to toast.

And, of course there will those who advise you toast and light w/ a soft flame.  A Bic looks super low-rent (right @Patrickbrick ?) but that's not a bad way to go.  The pinpoint flame of a single-jet torch is really best suited for touch-ups when your burn line gets wonky.
    I like to keep 4-5 lighters in my hand using all of them one at a time like a surgeon. Get a triple jet Vertigo ? Three for 22.00 
  • I just ordered a Xikar flash lighter single torch .  To me it seems like there is more control with just one jet . 
    Do what your comfortable with. It's not going to be the end of world. Smoking is suppose to be relaxing not a source of stress. Don't worry,be happy!
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried lighting a smoke, once, with my acetylene torch. 
    Me too. Almost blew the cigar apart. I use propane though. 30psi oxygen/ 10 psi gas. 
    Got balls! That's all I'm going to say.
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want something cheap and strong I can highly recommend these two options (I bought both sets and they work great; not supposed to but come pre-filled too...shhhh) :smiley:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GA80NJO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GA3U9XO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:

This is a wise man, for sure.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.