Home Pipes

Best Tobacco To Try In Old Briar

xCigarMasterxxCigarMasterx Posts: 5
I recently bought a broad pipe made in 1897 and I am looking for a great tobacco to try in it. I have had kind of a bad experience with a cheap cob pipe so I am trying to get a much better one. I love cigars, I love spicy blends. What would be a good “medium-full” (in cigar terms) pipe tobacco to give a try?

Comments

• Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peterson Irish flake is a really good medium full blend. Seattle pipe club plum pudding sounds like it might work for you from its description but I can't say I've had it personally.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    @Cigar-20068545 , you may not realize to complexity of the question you've asked.

When I read the OP this a.m. I thought hey, why not ask something easy, like 

"what's the best hamburger in Yugoslavia?".  

That way I can think "Who knows?" and let it go.  Captain Calls' answer is good.  I came up with a sort of shotgun approach,

Squadron Leader
    Orlik Golden Sliced
    Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake, and
    Frog Morton On the Town

This is a broad spectrum of classic tobacco blends.  Given what you say your tastes are, one or more of these may be what you're looking for.

I'm curious about your bad cob pipe experience.  What happened?  What made it a bad experience?  It might help to know.
    Post edited by Amos_Umwhat on
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    The spice request is what baffles me. I've tried some pretty perique heavy blends and I don't get the same kind of spice as in a cigar. Those 4 @Amos_Umwhat said are fantastic "compass points". They will steer you into building your profile very well. I've had a hard time finding squadron leader lately. And substitution recommendations Amos?

As to the original request of medium full and spicy, maybe blending your own from dark fired and young perique over a softer burley base might come out interesting?
    edited January 2018
    Hmm, a substitute for Squadron Leader might be Sutliff Heavy English.  I usually buy bulk from a well known cousin of CCOM, and usually only 2 or 3 times a year.  Lately, though, not only what I'm looking for, but the substitutes as well seem to disappear quickly.

Also, I've noticed that "Spice" means very different things to different people.  When I think spice I'm often thinking of something with overtones of cardamom, or the tangy perique spice, and the person asking may be thinking black pepper.  It can make a difference to know.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Not to hijack this thread but we need a blending 101 thread pinned to the top of the pipe section
  • This is the person who changed it but with a different username, the Amos_Umwhat said:
    @Cigar-20068545 , you may not realize to complexity of the question you've asked.

When I read the OP this a.m. I thought hey, why not ask something easy, like 

That way I can think "Who knows?" and let it go.  Captain Calls' answer is good.  I came up with a sort of shotgun approach,

Squadron Leader
    Orlik Golden Sliced
    Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake, and
    Frog Morton On the Town

This is a broad spectrum of classic tobacco blends.  Given what you say your tastes are, one or more of these may be what you're looking for.

I'm curious about your bad cob pipe experience.  What happened?  What made it a bad experience?  It might help to know.
    Honestly it was probably something I did. Just a very bad taste and an awful smell coming from the pipe after the first smoke. The taste that comes from it overpowers all of the tobacco flavoring to the point of nausea. I was really disappointed and decided to give it another shot because I know there has to be more to this. BTW when I think of pepper I am thinking of a black pepperish flavor from a cigar. I know pipes are a little more subtle but I like that kick. I tried Lane 1Q and a Peterson blend, neither taste good through the pipe. Maybe I am not an aromatic type of guy? I am just looking for some insight.

• xCigarMasterxxCigarMasterx Posts: 5
    edited January 2018
    Well, you've got 6 or 7 to start with listed above.  There's lots to learn in several of the other threads in the pipe section.  No need to make the same mistakes, check them out.  Let us know what you like.  Think about getting at least a couple more pipes if you plan to smoke regularly, they need some rest sometimes.

• @Amos_Umwhat @Captain_Call
    Yea I am getting several samples, some examples are frog morton and billy bud.
    Thanks for the help you guys
    Cool smokes, white ash and Godspeed sir. Keep us posted. We love to watch another person discover the hobby like we all remember. 
  • @Captain_Call
    I certainly will! Pipe and tobacco should be coming in on Saturday!
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat, are you going to answer or leave us hanging?
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    Hmm, a substitute for Squadron Leader might be Sutliff Heavy English.  
    I'd like to revise and extend my remarks;

I just got a 250g bag of Squadron Leader, which I hadn't had in a couple of years.  I opened and jarred it, and packed a pipe to smoke the next day.  It's a little moist.
    When answering the question, I was basing my opinion on the memory of a couple tins, which I remembered as being darker, more Latakia forward than what I've just smoked, and thought of this thread.  

I'm retracting my opinion regarding the Sutliff, because if I was looking for something similar to what I smoked today, I'd say that C&D Epiphany, or maybe Peter Stokebye's Proper English would come closer to filling the bill.

Not that it matters, :D 

But I can drive myself crazy if I don't get these things out.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a lataphobe; that being said, Dunhill Royal Yacht has some backbone. Then there is GH Brown Bogie....
    edited January 2018
    I also bought blending Latakia, Oriental, Mixed Virginias, some McConnell's folded flake, and a couple tins of other stuff.  I have a hard time leaving things alone.