Home General Discussion

What happened to the Panetela shape?

jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in General Discussion
Good morning folks. Mr.Curious (AKA Smutty Smitty) has another question. Is it just me or did the Panetella shape die? I just don't see them often or at all. Maybe I have not been paying attention? 
PS I spelled it two different ways but still not sure.

Comments

• jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    That seems logical . 
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny, the longer I live, the more I gravitate toward the panatela, lancero, corona vitolas.  It used to be Toros, Churchills and Salomans, which I still like, but there has been a trend.   
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    They say your not going to get a good representation of the blend in a small shape too. It's just easy to grab a little cigar and start the car! Maybe I'm just missing the Dutch Masters in the Humijar.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I’ve noticed that one manufacturer will call it a panatela and another will call the same vitola a lancero. I think a lot depends on the whim of the manufacturer....  Just my $.02.....

Very similar to some manufacturers calling a cigar that’s pointed on both ends a perfecto while other manufacturers call certain parejos a perfecto. 
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jw517 said:
    They say your not going to get a good representation of the blend in a small shape too. It's just easy to grab a little cigar and start the car! Maybe I'm just missing the Dutch Masters in the Humijar.
    A lot of blenders create the blend for a corona and then tweak the blend to work for other vitolas. The larger vitolas are in indeed a popular trend lately, could be they burn cooler to some, could be thats the way the blender intended to experience the most of the blend. I personally think most of the big ring gauge vitolas are selling so the blenders keep making a blend for them.      
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
    Next question. Candela wrapper must not be very popular now. I doubt it was ever that popular,but I use to see it often.
  • benskibenski Posts: 24 ✭✭
    jw517 said:
    Next question. Candela wrapper must not be very popular now. I doubt it was ever that popular,but I use to see it often.
    I did a search just last week on this very subject and could find three on sale - it is not popular, it doesn't have a niche - it's a bit like trying to sell "white" chocolate to dark chocolate nerds - yes, you'll find a few, but only a few. The Arturo Fuente is the most commonly encountered "quality" candela. Others muck about with it in "special" editions - I recall Diesel throwing a candela (or at least part of one) on a barber pole in a box. 
    Thanks for the reply! Years ago about every cigar was offered in either natural or candela. I never ordered any! Always wondered if I was missing something though.
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Green Hornet has some candela in it
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Is AB still making the Filthy Hooligan?

I don't see it on the list here.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Asylum ogre not listed either. 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you like grassy notes, you're missing out.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Back in the 70s I liked it.
    Viaje White Label Project St. Patrick's 2011, 2012, 2013 were candelas, maybe they will have them this year.
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.

Ya!!! Aren't those pretty? Thanks for the Neet pic!
    Their some beauties for sure!